Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are Canadians really that hard to get close to?

Are Canadians really that hard to get close to?

Old Jul 18th 2019, 6:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are Canadians really that hard to get close to?

Here's another idea If you and your g/f are married - or have lived 'as if married' in an exclusive common-law relationship for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.. she could apply for a student visa to attend college / uni in Canada... (provided her English / French is at the level required), you would get an open work permit for the same length as her course and she may be able to get a post grad work permit after her course has ended. Between the 2 of you and the extra 'education' points and 'Canadian Experience' points you would be very likely to be able to increase your EE points to where you should get an invitation from the Express Entry pool.

Not an easy route, but perhaps an option.

You haven't mentioned how old you are or what it is you do - what qualifications (if any) you have, but going on the 'hints' I presume you are presently teaching in some form or another in Korea.. if you can give more information there's lots of help to be had

As to friendliness etc., I've found Canadians incredibly friendly and accepting, yes there have been issues finding work without 'Canadian Experience' - but it's not insurmountable.. you just have to take a step back or sideways until you can build up your resume.

Old Jul 18th 2019, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Here's another idea If you and your g/f are married - or have lived 'as if married' in an exclusive common-law relationship for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.. she could apply for a student visa to attend college / uni in Canada... (provided her English / French is at the level required), you would get an open work permit for the same length as her course and she may be able to get a post grad work permit after her course has ended. Between the 2 of you and the extra 'education' points and 'Canadian Experience' points you would be very likely to be able to increase your EE points to where you should get an invitation from the Express Entry pool.

Not an easy route, but perhaps an option.

You haven't mentioned how old you are or what it is you do - what qualifications (if any) you have, but going on the 'hints' I presume you are presently teaching in some form or another in Korea.. if you can give more information there's lots of help to be had

As to friendliness etc., I've found Canadians incredibly friendly and accepting, yes there have been issues finding work without 'Canadian Experience' - but it's not insurmountable.. you just have to take a step back or sideways until you can build up your resume.

I had not read it as OP was teaching in Korea, I thought he said he was in IT. If he is teaching, that worries me about where the extra points he found for Australia came from.

Teaching at a hagwon in Korea will not get OP to Australia on the teacher pathway.

School teacher means exactly that. OP will need a formal teaching qualification that had a 45 day student teaching practicum as part of that, to pass the skills assessment - no ifs, ands or buts about it. An informal teaching qualification like CELTA, TEFL, TESOL etc will not be accepted.

Similarly - hagwon experience will not be accepted as experience for points purposes and if claimed will likely lead to the overclaiming scenario I outlined earlier.

Before spending a ton of money and time trying to build a resume for migration - OP needs to consult a qualified migration agent to make sure he understands criteria and what will, and will not, get him points.

Old Jul 19th 2019, 6:17 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
I had not read it as OP was teaching in Korea, I thought he said he was in IT. If he is teaching, that worries me about where the extra points he found for Australia came from.

Teaching at a hagwon in Korea will not get OP to Australia on the teacher pathway.

School teacher means exactly that. OP will need a formal teaching qualification that had a 45 day student teaching practicum as part of that, to pass the skills assessment - no ifs, ands or buts about it. An informal teaching qualification like CELTA, TEFL, TESOL etc will not be accepted.

Similarly - hagwon experience will not be accepted as experience for points purposes and if claimed will likely lead to the overclaiming scenario I outlined earlier.

Before spending a ton of money and time trying to build a resume for migration - OP needs to consult a qualified migration agent to make sure he understands criteria and what will, and will not, get him points.
You are referencing for Australia... but this is the Canada forum, lol.. no need to consult a qualified migration agent for here and a very easy to use the official website to determine what will get points, together with lots of help and advice from our BE fam!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 8:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You are referencing for Australia... but this is the Canada forum, lol.. no need to consult a qualified migration agent for here and a very easy to use the official website to determine what will get points, together with lots of help and advice from our BE fam!
Same for Australia, actually. A lot (if not most) of the posters on here have done it themselves with the help of the forum.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

DaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
If I may make an observation, if you have met your future wife you have struck gold. Having someone to share your life with is precious and, at least for me, more important than if I live in Canada, UK or Australia. All three provide opportunities to be taken advantage of, with many factors contributing to lifestyle differences. Ultimately, however, it is work rest leisure holiday etc. These activities are very fulfilling with someone to share them with.
Absolutely, you are right. I am very happy with her and the most important thing is that we are together. That said, i think it's still good to deliberate on which path we would like to go on, for our future and for future family.

I do completely agree that attitudes and perspectives are a huge factor in your happiness in any country. The internet is full of people who are bitching about Korea and it made me a bit worried when deciding to move there, but I've had a completely different experience and I think it's largely due to my expectations, flexibility and positivity. I think I could enjoy living in England for a while, but I'm scared of doors closing, preventing me from moving elsewhere. I don't want to be stuck with British life forever.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
There have been a number of threads on here over the years moaning about Canadians being unfriendly. That has absolutely not been my experience, and as dbd33 said in an earlier post, almost everyone is from somewhere else - or at least identifies with the somewhere else that their parents came from. If you are the sort of person that has close bonds with friends that you have known for years then you are probably not going to reproduce that here but that is not the fault of the locals. We have made good friends in both places in Canada where we have lived and found people to be very friendly and helpful. Example - on Monday I managed to lock myself in one of our sheds - a 6x4 confined space full of duckling poo in 32 degree heat is not a place you want to spend much time in so I texted as many of the neighbours as I had numbers for in the hope that someone was at home. They all responded within 15 minutes and I was rescued by a family who live over a km away who drove over to get me out within 10 mins. Don't give up!
I think that you are right. Aside from my family and life-long friends in England, If I moved there I'd pretty much have to start again with every other relationship just because I haven't been there and could have no connections just as though I were in Canada. Unless I moved back to my small hometown.

I feel a bit stupid for making this thread because it seems like such a stupid question. I've met countless of Canadians that I felt I could get close to. However, I read a bunch of posts about people feeling like they were never truly accepted. I even found a post from this forum (not long ago either) about people feeling like 2nd class citizens. I suppose the thing about the internet is that you tend to see people post more about negative experiences than good ones. I definitely see that being the case for Korea.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:40 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaechiDragon
Absolutely, you are right. I am very happy with her and the most important thing is that we are together. That said, i think it's still good to deliberate on which path we would like to go on, for our future and for future family.

I do completely agree that attitudes and perspectives are a huge factor in your happiness in any country. The internet is full of people who are bitching about Korea and it made me a bit worried when deciding to move there, but I've had a completely different experience and I think it's largely due to my expectations, flexibility and positivity. I think I could enjoy living in England for a while, but I'm scared of doors closing, preventing me from moving elsewhere. I don't want to be stuck with British life forever.

I think that you are right. Aside from my family and life-long friends in England, If I moved there I'd pretty much have to start again with every other relationship just because I haven't been there and could have no connections just as though I were in Canada. Unless I moved back to my small hometown.

I feel a bit stupid for making this thread because it seems like such a stupid question. I've met countless of Canadians that I felt I could get close to. However, I read a bunch of posts about people feeling like they were never truly accepted. I even found a post from this forum (not long ago either) about people feeling like 2nd class citizens. I suppose the thing about the internet is that you tend to see people post more about negative experiences than good ones. I definitely see that being the case for Korea.
It wasn't a stupid question. I think it's a good thing that you posted, it's helped you to think things through a bit more clearly and put things in perspective. Moving countries is scary! But the flexibility and positivity that saw you make a happy life for yourself in South Korea will see the same result wherever you choose to move to. Best of luck!
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

DaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for not posting more details. Here is my current situation:
  • I'm 32. Not old, but old enough that opportunities have already started closing. My partner is 35.
  • I have a degree in Information Systems and only 1 year experience as a programmer from like 6 years ago, which is probably considered useless now.
  • My partner has a degree in Spanish and is actually trilingual. Spanish being her 2nd language and English 3rd.
  • I've been working as an English teacher for about 5-6 years now. Too long, I know. I had the itch to leave the UK and I'm happy I did, but it may have cost me a career. There's nothing I can do about that now except make a change.
  • During my teaching 'career', I have taught in hagwons (with adults) but I've actually spent a few years teaching in companies (including full-time). I've taught in internationally known companies. I've already accepted that my years teaching will not count for anything in terms of migrating to Canada/Aus and will be a disadvantage when trying to get a non-teaching job. That said, I definitely have transferrable skills and I haven't just been teaching kids ABCs. I am familiar with the Korean way of doing business and my previous CEO of an IT company will likely vouch for me in having done a few non-teaching things.
  • I stopped working full-time recently and now work part-time in an adult hagwon. The purpose of this is to transition to a career out of Korea. I'm going to re-learn programming and make a portfolio. I'm also going to make some efforts to get into blockchain development (I'm already well-connected in that field here) which is likely to become a very in-demand field with not enough well-trained people. Hopefully it'll help me get my foot in the door.
  • I'm not worried about 'taking a step down' or having a low salary. Right now I'm not skilled enough and I need to get into IT. I need to build my career.
  • I read that Canada requires you (or maybe not requires, but counts) work experience from within the last 10 years. I do actually have 1 year experience as a developer from within this time and I'm sure I can get it verified. That won't help me get a job, but it could help with getting a visa in Canada. I'm not sure about Aus.
  • I'm willing to shell out on a migration expert if it is genuinely worth it. I don't really know where to begin with that and don 't really trust 'testimonials' online.
  • I would be willing to go back to the UK and try and find work OR remain in Korea if it's my best shot at getting work within the blockchain industry, but only for a few years. After that I'd like to still be able to immigrate and I'm scared that doors will close forever if I wait any longer, since I'm 32 and my partner is 35.
  • I understand that trying to switch careers and immigrate is a tough situation. I also accept that my years teaching could be considered a black hole on my resume and has the potential to hold me back for the rest of my life - but I want to try as best I can.
Thanks guys. Your help is seriously appreciated.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

I'm sorry for that. I helped derail this topic into one about Australia and my own personal situation.

I'd also like to avoid a migration expert unless necessary.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It wasn't a stupid question. I think it's a good thing that you posted, it's helped you to think things through a bit more clearly and put things in perspective. Moving countries is scary! But the flexibility and positivity that saw you make a happy life for yourself in South Korea will see the same result wherever you choose to move to. Best of luck!
May I ask, even though this is in the Canada forum, how happy are you in Australia? Was it a good idea to move?
Old Jul 19th 2019, 11:50 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaechiDragon
May I ask, even though this is in the Canada forum, how happy are you in Australia? Was it a good idea to move?
I'm not going to be any use to there I'm afraid, I'm an Australian who moved to the UK and then moved back to Oz.
Old Jul 19th 2019, 3:52 pm
Banned

Plugging what you have written into the Points Calculator, I have you on 70 points, if your Information Systems degree matches up with something on the occupational shortage list. 75 points if your partner can also pass a skills assessment in something on the occupational shortage list.

I said previously that people sometimes do get drawn on 70 points though can be in for a long wait.

Therefore, there maybe is a possibility and chop chop. If you really do want Australia I think you need to get on the phone to a qualified migration agent right away - as in next week - to discuss a visa strategy before you turn 33 and potentially go down to 65 points, which will close the door. If you get drawn from the pool when you are 32, the clock stops, and you don't lose points when you turn 33 if your visa is in the application stage. Go to the Australia forum and look through the threads to see which agents are recommended.

I do in your case recommend an agent because this is all quite new to you, the terminology is all quite new to you, and I think you need someone who has gone through hundreds of these to shepherd you through rather than just relying on the forum. Particularly as in your case I am not sure where you fit in with the skills assessment, and if you do not get a positive result on that, it is game over regardless of how many points you would otherwise have.

Migration costs money, and a lot of it. That's just the way it is. What you will spend on a migration agent is a fraction of what the cost of the total move will be, to either Australia or Canada.

Good luck.
NOT necessary for Canada!

May I suggest that any posts regarding AUSTRALIA immigration are taken to the Australia forum as they have no relevance to Canada or Canadian Immigration and the advice is conflicting for each country! You can find the Aus forum here: https://britishexpats.com/forum/immi...-australia-32/

I've moved the posts regarding Aussie Immigration for the OP to their ownAussie thread... here: DaechiDragon's Aussie questions

So..... back to potentially immigrating to Canada.....

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 20th 2019 at 4:06 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2019, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

DrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you missed this by Siouxie: Here's another idea If you and your g/f are married - or have lived 'as if married' in an exclusive common-law relationship for a minimum of 12 consecutive months.. she could apply for a student visa to attend college / uni in Canada... (provided her English / French is at the level required), you would get an open work permit for the same length as her course and she may be able to get a post grad work permit after her course has ended. Between the 2 of you and the extra 'education' points and 'Canadian Experience' points you would be very likely to be able to increase your EE points to where you should get an invitation from the Express Entry pool. Not an easy route, but perhaps an option.

You: Am I reading the wrong stuff online?
Me: YES
You: Are other people just too sensitive?
Me: YES.
You: I wish I could just fly out to Canada/Aus for trial runs but that's not exactly easy. I don't have the time and money for all that.
Me: Seriously? But you would spend tons of time/money emigrating to those places instead, essentially sight unseen.

I suspect you would love the diversity and energy of the GTA (for example) and if willing to put in the social 'work' you would quickly feel at home. But I'm biased...I think this is probably the best place to live in the world for a variety of reasons.