Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian word pronunciation ?

Canadian word pronunciation ?

Old Apr 19th 2005, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian word pronunciation ?

Oh yes!!! There used to be a show on TV where these three Brits - a girl and two guys - cooked meals and the panel decided which was best. It drove me NUTS when she was cooking "choona" instead of tuna.

But on the other hand I hate "meer" instead of mirror - it has two syllables guys!! I also don't like the "d" for "t". I worked with a lady called Ann Rider for several years before I saw her name written - it was Ann Reiter!!! Along the same lines, my girlfriend is Rita. My granddaughter called her Reader - because that is what she thought her name was!!

I don't know about the "layger". I have never heard anybody in England or Canada pronounce it anything but "lahger" or lager -- whatever!!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:05 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seacreature
Alooominum instead Aluminium!!!
ARGH! Why do they say that?
lol I got detention at 15 in a uk school for saying aloominum, I didn't know the english said it differently
Old Apr 19th 2005, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Canadian word pronunciation ?

Originally Posted by seacreature
Alooominum instead Aluminium!!!
ARGH! Why do they say that?
I know why I said alooominum...because that's how it's spelled in the Canadian/US dictionary! There is no second 'i', so it's aluminum instead of aluminium. If it was spelled the same it would (possibly!) be pronounced the same.

One that always got me was schedule...I couldn't work out why it was
shed-yule, but I still went to a skool.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

Strass is an unknown quantity at this point

Herbs or ERBS??
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, to me its herbs. My own personal opinion - probably not one shared by other people - is that 'erbs is pretentious.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 8:01 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

orange

UK = o-rinj

Canada = aw-rinj
Old Apr 20th 2005, 5:30 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

These threads crack me up...
I spend forever pronouncing the words and trying to figure out HOW I say it.
I never realized that I said aw-rinj until I saw it here! LOL

Siren
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:23 pm
Faire de la *fluff fluff*

Fluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura aboutFluffy Boogie has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
orange

UK = o-rinj

Canada = aw-rinj

I guess it all depends on where you live - I personally do not use "d"'s where "t"'s are supposed to be and I say erbs instead of herbs and I certainly say o-rinj and NOT aw-rinj - sounds too American for me!
I know out on the East Coast lots of t's are d's - like mudder for mother. Ha ha! But it doesn't necessarily mean everyone talks like that!
Fluffy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

Phil&Kirsteen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Strass
Herbs or ERBS??

HERBS, without any doubt. I lived in the States for 5 years and was always given a hard time if I said herbs (I worked in a commercial kitchen so the subject did come up pretty often). I was adamant that we Canadians said herbs!

And the two words now which Phil will give me a hard time over: mirror (meer) and orange (ornj). Just wait until he's lived in Canada for a few years!
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

I was so confused when I moved from Canada and my name pronunciation changed from "Kadie" to "Katie"...the spelling didn't change (is actually Katie), but I cringed everytime someone said my name for about the first 6 months!

Originally Posted by Fluffy Boogie
I guess it all depends on where you live - I personally do not use "d"'s where "t"'s are supposed to be and I say erbs instead of herbs and I certainly say o-rinj and NOT aw-rinj - sounds too American for me!
I know out on the East Coast lots of t's are d's - like mudder for mother. Ha ha! But it doesn't necessarily mean everyone talks like that!
Fluffy
Old Apr 20th 2005, 12:36 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Strass
Herbs or ERBS??
Definitely herbs on the west coast. Nobody smokes "erbal cigarettes".
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:05 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I was so confused when I moved from Canada and my name pronunciation changed from "Kadie" to "Katie"...the spelling didn't change (is actually Katie), but I cringed everytime someone said my name for about the first 6 months!
I often wonder about this sort of thing.

I find it very difficult to say Kay-tee instead of Kay-dee when addressing someone named Katie in Britain (I'm Canadian). It sounds and feels so wrong coming out of my mouth (to me). But on the flipside, I don't really like the way my name is pronounced here in Britain. I can't change Britain (I did try) so I'm trying to get used to it... or end up changing my name.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

It took me several months before I would introduce myself as Kay-tee...it still doesn't feel 100% natural, and I've now been saying it that way for 15 years! What was more confusing was shortly after we arrived my parents decided to show us the UK and took us up to Scotland. I kept wondering why the kids I was playing with were calling me "Key" (Kay).

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I often wonder about this sort of thing.

I find it very difficult to say Kay-tee instead of Kay-dee when addressing someone named Katie in Britain (I'm Canadian). It sounds and feels so wrong coming out of my mouth (to me). But on the flipside, I don't really like the way my name is pronounced here in Britain. I can't change Britain (I did try) so I'm trying to get used to it... or end up changing my name.
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

oxocube is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
It took me several months before I would introduce myself as Kay-tee...it still doesn't feel 100% natural, and I've now been saying it that way for 15 years! What was more confusing was shortly after we arrived my parents decided to show us the UK and took us up to Scotland. I kept wondering why the kids I was playing with were calling me "Key" (Kay).
Is that really any more confusing than when my parents insist on calling you Kate?
Old Apr 20th 2005, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose it depends what your name is, but does anyone notice Canadians shorten yours? Mine is already only four letters but they manage to shave off one...I hate it!! I wouldn't mind, I mean I'm all for less formality and all that, but these are people I barely know and have contact with in a business setting, not mates down the pub.

Oh well. Better get used to it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.