Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Superstore

Canadian Superstore

Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:43 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Canadian Superstore

Originally Posted by SAW 04
In my world I expect to be greeted with courtesy, I expect the member of staff to smile and perhaps pass the time of day with me. I expect to be able to locate a member of staff to direct me. When I have finished paying I expect the cashier to wish me a good day. None of these basic standards seem to matter nor exist in Loblaws establishments.
Well no, it's a supermarket. I don't expect to see any staff. I can't recall the last time I exchanged any words with a member of staff at Loblaws as it's been automated for yonks.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:47 pm
Amos Amatit Again!

GillyC will become famous soon enoughGillyC will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by SAW 04
In my world I expect to be greeted with courtesy, I expect the member of staff to smile and perhaps pass the time of day with me. I expect to be able to locate a member of staff to direct me. When I have finished paying I expect the cashier to wish me a good day. None of these basic standards seem to matter nor exist in Loblaws establishments.

What difference does it make that "you walk in, pick things of a shelf,run them through a scanner, pay and leave?" I do the self same thing in the UK at B & Q or Tesco and for the most part receive the courtesy and acknowledgement that makes we want to return and spend more with them.

I HATE Real Canadian Superstore - mainly for one reason - the way they keep their live fish (Tilapa mostly). They're kept in a small tank and there's usually dead ones at the bottom and the rest are drowning as there's not enough oxygen in the water. Now I know they're destined for the plate and I'm not a veggie but that's inhumane as far as I'm concerned.

I think the Real Canadian Superstore is owned by Loblaws. The Superstore banner is known in Western Canada whereas Loblaws is better known in Eastern Canada.

I really miss Sainsburys
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

You totally miss the point. Tesco have been ultra successful in the UK as they focus on one thing and one thing only, the customer. It makes absolutely no difference if I intent to buy a loaf of bread or a BMW from my local dealer. I should expect to receive a relative level of service that makes me feel good about shopping there and returning. Why should I expect to receive a lesser level of service in a supermarket? Courtesy and politeness costs nothing.

Originally Posted by dbd
Well no, it's a supermarket. I don't expect to see any staff. I can't recall the last time I exchanged any words with a member of staff at Loblaws as it's been automated for yonks.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:10 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbd
Ace baguettes are wonderful. In my time in Canada the arrival of Ace baguettes in Loblaws is the biggest change in Canadian life I've seen.

Really?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 10:58 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Mind you - apparently in the Fortnum and Mason hampers they use President's Choice brand Maple Syrup!!

Clare
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

You can buy ACE bread in loads of places, it's an indipendant bakery. We sell ACE bread at our store.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by finallygotout
Really?
Yes, that's true. The only change of comparable significance was the smoke ban. I very much like the bread but what it really says is that nothing very much happens in Canada. That, I would say, is the strength of the country.
Dull but reliable.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:06 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
There's already a bunch in Ontario. But in Ontario they are different and they're more or less the same as the giant new Loblaws Markets that Loblaws has been building in the past three years.
That's because they are owned by Loblaws.

As for the Superstore, no problem with them. We do a monthly shop there, take our own bags and fill the van with bulk items.

The bill is less painful when we remember that we have shares in Loblaws
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, the reason why you can't take a big "baby supply" bag into the store with you is because you are suffering from the fact that there are lots of dishonest people in the world.

Years and years ago, a friend of mine discovered that her (useless) daughter would go into a store with her two small children. She got a friend to go along with them. As they went through the store they would shoplift. On one occasion they stole a VCR!! When they got to the checkout, the daughter would say "oh good grief - she stinks - can you take her to the washroom and change her?" And the friend would dutifully take off for the mall washroom, carrying the child and the bag containing the "loot".
Old Oct 27th 2005, 2:44 pm
Cowtown

Why would you want to take a changing bag into a store where there are no changing facilities? (Other than the obvious in Liz's example!) Not one of the Superstores I have visited has had changing facilities. Perhaps its different in other cities.

Old Oct 27th 2005, 5:25 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Why would you want to take a changing bag into a store where there are no changing facilities? (Other than the obvious in Liz's example!) Not one of the Superstores I have visited has had changing facilities. Perhaps its different in other cities.
I have only the one bag; it contains my wallet, keys, coupons (I am now into the Canadian obsession of coupon clipping!!) etc plus a change of clothes for offspring, her nappies, etc.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:06 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ClareBC
I have only the one bag; it contains my wallet, keys, coupons (I am now into the Canadian obsession of coupon clipping!!) etc plus a change of clothes for offspring, her nappies, etc.
Another coupon lover here, we are forever cutting them out from flyers, and printing them off sites

http://www.redflagdeals.com/

We have got so many %20 off deals from linen and things, home depot, wal-mart, cinema
Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:49 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by ClareBC
So get a smaller bag for when you go shopping. The day will come when you no longer need the changing bag anyway. Keep it inside your changing bag and then when you go into these shops just take the little one! Simple really!

Old Oct 27th 2005, 10:57 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Never had a problem taking a baby change bag into superstore.

The one in the NW has changing facilities.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't take my baby changing bag into Superstore but only because I bought it there, they're more likely to think I'm on the rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.