Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Superstore

Canadian Superstore

Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:40 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Superstore

Anyone else find their checkout service pants ?

It's just about the only store where you pack your own bags, get rushed through, treated like cattle having to scratch around for bags (4c each and we keep forgetting to take our own), no room to get the monster-sized cart through the tiny space allocated, and have some other people right by your side trying to survive the same mad retail challenge. No sooner have you paid up than a barrage of stuff is rolling down taking over your packing space

Urg, not good. Just like being back in the UK. Must go elsewhere, or go first thing with all the seniors and follow their trail, they seem to know all the good deals. Must be seniors' instinct.

Rich.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:44 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs down Re: Canadian Superstore

Originally Posted by Rich_007

It's just about the only store where you pack your own bags, get rushed through, treated like cattle having to scratch around for bags (4c each and we keep forgetting to take our own), no room to get the monster-sized cart through the tiny space allocated, and have some other people right by your side trying to survive the same mad retail challenge. No sooner have you paid up than a barrage of stuff is rolling down taking over your packing space

Urg, not good. Must go elsewhere, or go first thing with all the seniors and follow their trail, they seem to know all the good deals. Must be seniors' instinct.

Rich.

I LOATHE the Real Canadian Stupid Store. I rarely shop there.

Also, as a mum with a babe I find it so hugely annoying that I have to leave my large bag (with the change of clothes, nappies etc) in the car as I am not allowed to take it into the store.

Also the phrase "Customer Service" is not in their vocabulary.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:50 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Superstore

Originally Posted by ClareBC
.....The phrase "Customer Service" is not in their vocabulary.
Sounds about right then !

Their stuff works out to be a good deal on the bigger sized packs but I'll trade that off against service with a smile and a genuine intention to make my life easier any day !

I have told Nicky there's no way we go there unless [a] it's essential we call and [b] it's first thing AM.

Nasty retail hell hole.

Rich.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:51 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

They're about to open one in Toronto. It's to be in a building that used to be a hockey rink, so it must be quite big. Is it something like Costco ?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I love the place, but forget about service...you're on your own. Even if you go in armed with one of their own product codes, they still can't help you find an item. Their computer system doesn't tell them where the item is in the store.

It's the cheapest place we've found to shop, but the store nearest us is horrible. We bought all their towels in brown in May when we arrived, and the shelf is still empty today. Been waiting for them to refill their ice-cream scoop section since June. Crap! Just found another one not too far away and it's always well stocked, still got staff who haven't a clue, but hey, it's cheap. Ish.

Not sure about bulk though, are these stores the same across the country? I wouldn't say it was a bulk shop place, just a regular supermarket that has the odd large sized pack... they're big in size because of the non-food section - furniture, cookware, linens, clothing, electrical etc.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Oct 26th 2005 at 4:15 pm. Reason: typo
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:17 pm
Lotus-eater

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Not sure about bulk though, are these stores the same across the country? I wouldn't say it was a bulk shop place, just a regular supermarket that has the odd large sized pack.
We got good steaks from there and a huge lump of chilli beef, we split them all down and still made good-sized single cut steaks, the beef made two monster sixed chilli pots hmmm nice. Their sirloin was as nice as the fillet we were used to back in the UK, and that was organic locally farm produced stuff So we may just hit them for that bulk meat deal. Presidents Choice coffee is nice [west coast roast ] and seems a good deal, our coffee pot seems to be on 'endless' mode nowadays ! And their coffee beans are a good deal too. But S-O-F's hazlenut cinnamon beans have been the best we've found so far, well above tasty standard.

Tellly's for $200 ? Yep they sell all sorts eh ?

I'm off to brew up, been on my feet since 6 am, hard life eh ?

Rich.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

BlackRedGold is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd
They're about to open one in Toronto. It's to be in a building that used to be a hockey rink, so it must be quite big. Is it something like Costco ?
There's already a bunch in Ontario. But in Ontario they are different and they're more or less the same as the giant new Loblaws Markets that Loblaws has been building in the past three years.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:24 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BlackRedGold
There's already a bunch in Ontario. But in Ontario they are different and they're more or less the same as the giant new Loblaws Markets that Loblaws has been building in the past three years.
Oh. We can walk to one of those Loblaws markets and use it as a convenience store, we drive to Costco for cheap bulk or the market for quality.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Couldn't agree more. Their selection, quality and pricing is good but they fail on every level around customer service. Whilst I despise everything about Tesco in the UK, their service is leaps and bounds better than Loblaws.

Urg, not good. Just like being back in the UK. Must go elsewhere, or go first thing with all the seniors and follow their trail, they seem to know all the good deals. Must be seniors' instinct.

Rich.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:22 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SAW 04
Hi

Couldn't agree more. Their selection, quality and pricing is good but they fail on every level around customer service. Whilst I despise everything about Tesco in the UK, their service is leaps and bounds better than Loblaws.
Loblaws is a supermarket, you walk in, pick things off the shelf, run them through the scanner, pay and leave. There's no human interaction, so where does customer service come into it ?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:28 pm
Banned

finallygotout will become famous soon enough

Rich.
You think that is bad, COSTCO won't take any other credit card, that ain't Amex that they try and get you to sign up for If you haven't got interact or cash, forget it
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:33 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by finallygotout
You think that is bad, COSTCO won't take any other credit card, that ain't Amex that they try and get you to sign up for If you haven't got interact or cash, forget it
I love Costco, but then we went to Australia on the Amex points.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Gail will become famous soon enoughGail will become famous soon enough

Are we talking about the Real Canadian Superstore?

The one near us is great, they pack your bags for you or you can self scan if you don't have too many items.

Upstairs they have lots of classes and on a wednesday I often go to the free class "what's for dinner" where they make a meal and you sample it. Some of the classes have been really good for everyday meals, you can also go to classes on specific types of cooking and skills which cost $30-$40. My oldest daughter did her babysitting course there, she also had her 13th birthday party where they made all the food themselves then had their make-up and nails done. They run cooking classes for kids which seem to fill up very quickly.

Customer services have always been helpful and the couple of times I needed a refund there wasn't any problem.

Must admit though that for most of my shopping I prefer Sobeys, especially their bread - the Real Canadian Superstore sells terrible bread that is rock hard the next day.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:53 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gail
Must admit though that for most of my shopping I prefer Sobeys, especially their bread - the Real Canadian Superstore sells terrible bread that is rock hard the next day.
Ace baguettes are wonderful. In my time in Canada the arrival of Ace baguettes in Loblaws is the biggest change in Canadian life I've seen.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

In my world I expect to be greeted with courtesy, I expect the member of staff to smile and perhaps pass the time of day with me. I expect to be able to locate a member of staff to direct me. When I have finished paying I expect the cashier to wish me a good day. None of these basic standards seem to matter nor exist in Loblaws establishments.

What difference does it make that "you walk in, pick things of a shelf,run them through a scanner, pay and leave?" I do the self same thing in the UK at B & Q or Tesco and for the most part receive the courtesy and acknowledgement that makes we want to return and spend more with them.

Originally Posted by dbd
Loblaws is a supermarket, you walk in, pick things off the shelf, run them through the scanner, pay and leave. There's no human interaction, so where does customer service come into it ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.