Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian pet insurance/medical info

Canadian pet insurance/medical info

Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Canadian pet insurance/medical info

Not sure whether this is best posted here or on the Canada Immigration forum, but here goes. I have a few questions re pet insurance/medicals in Canada if anyone here can answer, plse.

1) How much on average do people pay in Canada for pet insurance? In particular, for a pedigree dog?

2) Any recommendations for pet insurance companies?

For those people who previously lived in the UK.....

3) How have you found vet bills in Canada compared with the UK?

4) When you registered with a new vet or pet insurance company did either parties ask for details of previous illnesses/medication etc? If so, did your previous vet/pet insurance company freely give you a list of the information?

5) Did you arrange special pet insurance cover for your flight from the UK to Canada? I assume that the UK pet insurance company would no longer cover you when you are officially travelling to your new country of residence. Did you get cover with a Canadian company and if so, how much extra did it cost?

Thank you
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian pet insurance/medical info

Originally Posted by h_henry
Not sure whether this is best posted here or on the Canada Immigration forum, but here goes. I have a few questions re pet insurance/medicals in Canada if anyone here can answer, plse.

1) How much on average do people pay in Canada for pet insurance? In particular, for a pedigree dog?

2) Any recommendations for pet insurance companies?

For those people who previously lived in the UK.....

4) When you registered with a new vet or pet insurance company did either parties ask for details of previous illnesses/medication etc? If so, did your previous vet/pet insurance company freely give you a list of the information?

5) Did you arrange special pet insurance cover for your flight from the UK to Canada? I assume that the UK pet insurance company would no longer cover you when you are officially travelling to your new country of residence. Did you get cover with a Canadian company and if so, how much extra did it cost?

Thank you
We don't have insurance on the animals, we just pay but there are adverts for this company

http://www.petcareinsurance.com/can/...asp?ID=0002836

at the vet's office.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:13 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

I had pet insurance for my Lab X for first year only.

Lots of don't cover this don't cover that.

Lady with Pyrenees paid for 12 years $100 a month then after 2 claims due to an accident, they change the pricing structure the deductible increased and all benefits lower.

She now has 2 Pyrenees puppies and no insurance as your better off saving the money in an account and paying the vet yourself if need be.

Bigger dog bigger price
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

I can see where your friend with the Pyrenees is coming from. $100 pcm seems very steep. I reckon I pay roughly $40 pcm and that's expensive enough.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:31 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Far as I could tell it was a rip off. We have 4 cats here, and no insurance.

If something expensive comes up then it will be a quick trip to the River with a burlap sack!

Our annual checkups run at about $120 per cat for checks and full array of shots.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=iaink]If something expensive comes up then it will be a quick trip to the River with a burlap sack! [QUOTE]
:scared:

$120 per cat. I reckon I pay around $70 per cat for annual boosters in the UK not including rabies. That said it should be cheaper in the long run in CA as you don't need to have annual boosters do you? I understood that Canadian/US vets recognise that the antibodies from the vaccines remain in the animals body for at least 2 years.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=h_henry][QUOTE=iaink]If something expensive comes up then it will be a quick trip to the River with a burlap sack!
:scared:

$120 per cat. I reckon I pay around $70 per cat for annual boosters in the UK not including rabies. That said it should be cheaper in the long run in CA as you don't need to have annual boosters do you? I understood that Canadian/US vets recognise that the antibodies from the vaccines remain in the animals body for at least 2 years.
We pay $112.94 for annual shots for the cat. So far the dog, at a little over a year, has cost $1420.00 in vet's bills but that includes an ill advised collision with a car and it's still only about $100/month.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:20 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry
Just had bloods and xrays for one adult cat, scope down throat, and analysis of tissues. Cost circe $1k.

Compare that to UK costs ! Although tests have be processed via Vancouver which adds to the cost factor.

Rich.