British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-pay-you-go-uk-phone-679773/)

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 4:40 pm

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

I know my uk mobile is unlocked. Are individual pay as you go SIM cards available for purchase in Canada that I could use in my existing 'phone for the week we'll be there "landing" to activate our newly acquired Permanent Resident status. It would be useful for liaising with schools, realtors, storage firms etc. We only have 1 week to cram as much in as we can before returning to wrap up the UK side of things.

Many thanks

Conal

iaink Aug 4th 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone

Only Rogers and their subsidiaries offer SIM card technology in Canada. Its usually more cost effective for occasional users to just get a cheap and cheerful PAYG phone from Virigin or Koodoo or whoever is cheapest this month.

Paul_Shepherd Aug 4th 2010 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752724)
I know my uk mobile is unlocked. Are individual pay as you go SIM cards available for purchase in Canada that I could use in my existing 'phone for the week we'll be there "landing" to activate our newly acquired Permanent Resident status. It would be useful for liaising with schools, realtors, storage firms etc. We only have 1 week to cram as much in as we can before returning to wrap up the UK side of things.

Many thanks

Conal

Yes, I know Rogers offers a pay as you go SIM card, however these are VERY expensive, but will work in your UK phone, and are good if you are just setting up your new Canadian life and want a Canadian cell phone contact, I did this initially.

However was just way too expensive when I came to use it, so now I have a month to month contract with Fido, but still kept my initial number. I still use my old unlocked O2 phone and ive been here for 14 months now, its still a more advanced phone than what many of Canadian cell phone companies are offering on contract....you have to really pay through the nose if you want something decent.

Paul

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 8752742)
Yes, I know Rogers offers a pay as you go SIM card, however these are VERY expensive, but will work in your UK phone, and are good if you are just setting up your new Canadian life and want a Canadian cell phone contact, I did this initially.

However was just way too expensive when I came to use it, so now I have a month to month contract with Fido, but still kept my initial number. I still use my old unlocked O2 phone and ive been here for 14 months now, its still a more advanced phone than what many of Canadian cell phone companies are offering on contract....you have to really pay through the nose if you want something decent.

Paul

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.

jericho Aug 4th 2010 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752750)
Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.

You'll have to pay a registration fee just to get the SIM. When I did it, I think it was $50.

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 5:03 pm

get fido..cost nothing for the sim..then rates start at $10 a month on PAYG..calls cost around 20c a min incoming and outgoing...works in any unlocked UK phone..no set up fees either.

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 8752773)
get fido..cost nothing for the sim..then rates start at $10 a month on PAYG..calls cost around 20c a min incoming and outgoing...works in any unlocked UK phone..no set up fees either.

With Fido, do you have to sign up for a certain period of time? Also, does anybody know what the coverage might be like in southern Vancouver Island?

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752783)
With Fido, do you have to sign up for a certain period of time? Also, does anybody know what the coverage might be like in southern Vancouver Island?

You dont have to commit to any time..they just require you top up every month to keep the number open..vancouver will be covered by fido

iaink Aug 4th 2010 5:11 pm

http://www.comparecellular.com/fido-...MapRegionID=23

Fido is a Rogers subsidiary.

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 8752790)
You dont have to commit to any time..they just require you top up every month to keep the number open..vancouver will be covered by fido

Where could I buy a Fido SIM card? Do they have a chain of shops like, say, O2 in the UK? Also, can I buy a SIM with for example CAN$20 for just that, $20? I don't mind if I subsequently loose the number as this is literally a 1 week exercise.

Thanks everyone

Conal

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752724)

Many thanks

Conal

We used and are still using a UK phone with a Rogers pay as you go. We don't use it very much though and usually for text messages. It also won't send or receive photos, email, and there was something odd about international texts receiving or sending. I can't remember which way.

We wondered if it would even be cheaper just to carry on using the Tesco Pay As You Go = for the amount we use

I think you can rent cellphones from places at the airport

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752817)
Where could I buy a Fido SIM card? Do they have a chain of shops like, say, O2 in the UK? Also, can I buy a SIM with for example CAN$20 for just that, $20? I don't mind if I subsequently loose the number as this is literally a 1 week exercise.

Thanks everyone

Conal

You can find a fido shop/booth at any mall and electronic shops like future shop best buy etc and also can get them at wall mart

alexisatk Aug 4th 2010 5:36 pm

Rogers Sim Cards now cost $10. I just got one a month and a half ago.

johngrimes Aug 4th 2010 5:37 pm

Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by johngrimes (Post 8752841)
Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!

When we did a 3 month recce last year we just bought cheap Rogers PAYG 'phones. They have subsequently been trashed by the kids so I think the $10 Rogers SIM card is the answer. I presume any outstanding credit is lost at the end of the month? (not that this will matter in this instance)

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by alexisatk (Post 8752838)
Rogers Sim Cards now cost $10. I just got one a month and a half ago.

That's what they have been for the past 4 years at least. The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.

R I C H Aug 4th 2010 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8752848)
The $10 expires after a month whether you have used it or not. You can also get $100 cards that expire after 12 months so they are a better option if you don't use the phone much.

If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8752855)
If you're not going to make $10's worth of calls in a month, what's the likelihood of making $100's worth in a year? Doesn't sound like a better option, and offers more scope for losing a greater amount of credit.

It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.

R I C H Aug 4th 2010 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8752864)
It is a better option as you pay $100 for 12 months instead of $120.

But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8752875)
But only if you actually make the calls. If you're spending under $10 p/mth to make it worthwhile, I'm suggesting it's just as likely you won't end up using the $100 worth of credit too.

I think the whole use it or lose it PAYG credit is BS - you're always caught between making calls to justify your investment, and topping up before you've run out to ensure you don't get caught without service.

The PAYG thing is BS, complete BS.

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.

R I C H Aug 4th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8752892)

Still can't work out what you are saying over the $10 a month. You have to pay $10/month to get service. If you already have a phone and don't want a contract then this is the only way to get the thing connected. So the choice is $100 a year or $120 a year. It's not a question of making enough calls to make it worthwhile but needing a cellphone.

Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.

iaink Aug 4th 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8752892)

How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 8752910)
Yep, it's the only way, but if you're a light user whether you choose the $100 or $120 p/yr option for the convenience of owning a cellphone, it stinks. If you don't use the credit then the calls you do make are proportionally very expensive. I can't justify owning my own here, the coverage is very poor locally due to the terrain, and effectively being forced to pay for credit you might not want/need doesn't make sense.

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8752943)
How much do you use your landline?

If I had decent signal then I would probably ditch paying Bell $35 a month for service and use the cell more. Cost would likely be less overall if you dont do much calling and you have the security of having a phone with you for emergencies.

International costs would be the downfall of that plan I suspect, but there is skype etc for the internet enabled too, plus there are probably calling plans/ cards for cheaper international cell calls.

If you are stuck in poor coverage like Rich then its a non starter, but in Ontario where coverage is OK except at my house it may be an option.

We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50

iaink Aug 4th 2010 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8753006)
We are stuck with a land line as some of my hearing gadgets require a landline connection. (alarm clock, phone ring alert, fire alarm). We need cell phones to use text as until recently I couldnt use the phone at all

So we have no choice at the moment

I pay $50 a month for the blackberry so that I can be emailed at work instead of using the one, well thats down to $30 now but it was $50

Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8753013)
Ah, hadnt thought of that.

Shouldnt work be paying for (some/ all of) that expense then if it makes life easier for them?

Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.

iaink Aug 4th 2010 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8753017)
Yes, but I don't argue in case they find another xray tech.

:eek::cool:

Reidies Aug 4th 2010 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by johngrimes (Post 8752841)

Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
Eventually I opted for a 7-11 PAYG phone. The vouchers last 365 days,(I put 50 dollars on and there was already 5 dollars when you buy the phone ) don't get charged for receiving calls/texts. The Nokia phone is basic but I wanted the cheapest deal and believe me I needed those paracetamol after traipsing around the mobile phone stores!!!! My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Reidies (Post 8753178)
Ditto the headaches tablets!!!!
My OH is phoneless as he couldn't find a cheap SIM card to put in his phone.

Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.

iaink Aug 4th 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 8753196)
Why its not rocket science?..i walked into a phone store bought a sim for $10 put in my phone hey presto took all of 5 mins from start to finish.

Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 8753243)
Its figuring out which store has the best fit to your needs thats the headache. Per minute rates, expiration times etc etc etc.

not really just pick up the leaflets and compare..they are pretty much the same when it comes to tarrifs and expiration times..you never gona save a bundle of cash to warrant wondering around for days and worrying over a few cents

lmartin999 Aug 4th 2010 9:09 pm

I have the PAYG Fido SIM since before I moved back here. I pay $10 a month, 30c minute, 15c text (I think). Because of the expiring credit its not really a PAYG, but a monthly plan. Only real difference is no contract term. I've rolled over enough credit now that I can use it quite freely if I need to, but will always be locked into the $10/month. That's about what I used to spend in the UK so can live with it.
A couple of ok features. Free voicemail that works ok. Free incoming texts (which bizarrely some monthly contract plans do not offer). Unlimited internet access for $1/day (useful for those odd times I need it).
Customer service is pretty crap but you can do most stuff online once its set up.

downthepub Aug 5th 2010 4:23 am

We got a Rogers PAYG SIM tonight for $5, 25c per min for the first 5 minutes and then 15c per min after that, any time. Charged it up with $20 and it's working like a champ in our UK unlocked Nokia.

Initially tried to get a Speakout phone from 7-eleven, but then gave up after trying three different stores to no avail. Walked past a mobile phone shop in the Market Mall in Calgary and the Rogers PAYG SIM-only plan was the best value they had. Need a local number, and I decided not to flog the Speakout horse anymore.

printer Aug 5th 2010 6:33 am

Telus had an option where you bought a sim card for your UK phone then you could just take one of their contract plans ($30 per month minimum) BUT you did this on a month to month basis, no yearly (or longer) contract to sign. You could then use it whilst here then if you don't use it for 3 months no bills.

The only issue seems to be the phone must be a 3G or it won't work, and of course unlocked.

gaz77 Oct 3rd 2010 8:35 am

hi just found your thread on mobiles can i ask how you got on !we are landing in three weeks in ontario for a week and i wanted to do the same thing a phone would be handy. and of topic can you tell me what did the guys at the airport ask you when you landed did you tell them you where only staying for a week ?and what did you do with the forms for customs (,goods to follow)i dont know what to do we dont know what we will end up taking back yet.can you give us any advise we can send a private message if you wish cheers gaz.

rivingtonpike Oct 3rd 2010 9:24 am

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8892551)
hi just found your thread on mobiles can i ask how you got on !we are landing in three weeks in ontario for a week and i wanted to do the same thing a phone would be handy. and of topic can you tell me what did the guys at the airport ask you when you landed did you tell them you where only staying for a week ?and what did you do with the forms for customs (,goods to follow)i dont know what to do we dont know what we will end up taking back yet.can you give us any advise we can send a private message if you wish cheers gaz.

Hi Gaz

I wish I could answer your questions, but we still don't "land" for another 2 weeks! It's driving us crazy now. We're all a bit tense and nervous; even the lists have lists!! There wa an excellent post on here in the last week or so about someone's experience of going through immigration for the first time. It is well worth looking up. From what I can gather, the general feeling seems to be to take every conceivable piece of documentation you can think of. Have 2 or 3 copies of goods with you and goods to follow. The IOs seem to appreciate us making the effoert to make their lives and working days easier. We'll be liaising with a couple of mortgage brokers and realtors as well so we have statements of credit worthiness from our mortgage firm and banks too. Seems to be the case that you can't have enough info!

I'll certainly put up a post when we have finally landed outlining our experiences.

Good luck!

Conal

rivingtonpike Oct 3rd 2010 9:27 am

Originally Posted by gaz77 (Post 8892551)

The thread I referred to is called "goods to follow and other bits - our experiences

gaz77 Oct 3rd 2010 11:02 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8892604)
Hi Gaz

I wish I could answer your questions, but we still don't "land" for another 2 weeks! It's driving us crazy now. We're all a bit tense and nervous; even the lists have lists!! There wa an excellent post on here in the last week or so about someone's experience of going through immigration for the first time. It is well worth looking up. From what I can gather, the general feeling seems to be to take every conceivable piece of documentation you can think of. Have 2 or 3 copies of goods with you and goods to follow. The IOs seem to appreciate us making the effoert to make their lives and working days easier. We'll be liaising with a couple of mortgage brokers and realtors as well so we have statements of credit worthiness from our mortgage firm and banks too. Seems to be the case that you can't have enough info!

I'll certainly put up a post when we have finally landed outlining our experiences.

Good luck!

Conal

thanks for that i will have a look.we land on the 23rd. were confused has what to put on the forms,we are only taking a suitcase with cloths in it!

airbornesapper Oct 3rd 2010 2:10 pm

My OH uses Rogers pay as you go...and like a few others here, top-up with 100 bucks at a time.

She still had around 30 bucks left over at the last renewal which was added to the next another 100 buck credit.

We picked up our sim cards (new) on Ebay....for a couple of bucks.

As for unlocked phones...if comes down to what bands they are good for (from good old wikipedia):

"In North America, GSM operates on the primary mobile communication bands 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. In Canada, GSM-1900 is the primary band used in urban areas with 850 as a backup, and GSM-850 being the primary rural band. In the United States, regulatory requirements determine which area can use which band."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GSM_frequency_bands

I have found a quad band phone a useful addition...great for dropping in sim cards from various places while travelling.

Piff Poff Oct 3rd 2010 5:38 pm

My friend at work just bought a Rogers SIM card she said it cost $10 - we were talking about her new to her Iphone that her boyfriend had unlocked and she had just gone and bought the SIM card. HTH.

airbornesapper Oct 3rd 2010 6:18 pm

http://shop.ebay.ca/?_from=R40&_trks...All-Categories

For those that can wait....and don't mind saving a buck or three.;)