Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian health care

Canadian health care

Old Jun 8th 2012, 8:57 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian health care

I spent 10 minutes at the drop in surgery today - smack in the ribs at work yesterday. I have been out of the country quite a long time since i was last in there, probably 10 years ago. Very impressive.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 7:24 pm
Just Joined

rgeczi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian health care

Originally Posted by Londonuck
I spent 10 minutes at the drop in surgery today - smack in the ribs at work yesterday. I have been out of the country quite a long time since i was last in there, probably 10 years ago. Very impressive.
I too have been out of the country for about 10 years. Will be going back this summer.

It's nice to know the medical profession is working smoothly. When I left there, things were haywire.
Old Jun 11th 2012, 8:52 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

I spent the weekend talking with a friend, who is a doctor here in Ontario and currently as a group are in disagreement with Ontario government over funding, It would appear some seem to suffer a bit of a god complex when it comes to how they're funded..?

It came across that many Doctors believe that prescribing treatment and diagnostic use is entirely at there desecration and costs shouldn’t be factored in…patient care is at the very top of the list and should not be compromised, that the public is too ignorant to have any input or involvement in this issue, that many doctors feel that government also is too ignorant to have any input on funding and that they should focus not on how much money the medical system consumes but focus instead on where they will get the extra money the medical system in their belief needs..

I understand that we would all love to have a medical system than can give us all the treatment we need to be well, but can we afford a system like this, which I believe is actually a yes as it stands, but are we willing as tax payer to pay, or should we in the long term move to a two tier system and use private (paid to jump the queue) medical care to help fund the public system much as the UK currently works?
Old Jun 11th 2012, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I spent the weekend talking with a friend, who is a doctor here in Ontario and currently as a group are in disagreement with Ontario government over funding, It would appear some seem to suffer a bit of a god complex when it comes to how they're funded..?

It came across that many Doctors believe that prescribing treatment and diagnostic use is entirely at there desecration and costs shouldn’t be factored in…patient care is at the very top of the list and should not be compromised, that the public is too ignorant to have any input or involvement in this issue, that many doctors feel that government also is too ignorant to have any input on funding and that they should focus not on how much money the medical system consumes but focus instead on where they will get the extra money the medical system in their belief needs..

I understand that we would all love to have a medical system than can give us all the treatment we need to be well, but can we afford a system like this, which I believe is actually a yes as it stands, but are we willing as tax payer to pay, or should we in the long term move to a two tier system and use private (paid to jump the queue) medical care to help fund the public system much as the UK currently works?

They should just as user fees per visit to help cover the costs, with program in place for low income folks. Similar to whats in place already here in BC that helps the poor with the monthly premium MSP charges, if your single for example and make under 30,000 you get a reduction in the premium, to a point where the poorest pay nothing.

No reason the average person can't pay 15-20 a doctor visit to offset the cost, so if the doctor is paid currently 50 for a office visit, they would be paid 30 from the government, and 20 from the patient.

The government should not have to cover the entire bill for a doctor visit. Hospital visits, lab work etc would be as now, no charge at point of service.