British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian Expressions that confuse the British (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-expressions-confuse-british-775602/)

Novocastrian Oct 26th 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Canadian Expressions that confuse the British

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10351812)
So you can call them a **** and they'll think you're just calling them a bottom? Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I think I'll just stick with calling them a ****. Less confusing all round.

I think calling them a **** is always good, but I've never figured out the pronunciation. Ass-trix-trix-trix-trix? Surely it's simpler just to say *****?

sheera67 Oct 27th 2012 2:17 am

Let me try to explain the fanny saying in Scotland , it's just another word for things like " idiot, stupid ," not as offensive as these though ,, ill try to give an example of when it might be used. So a chap is walking along the street in Scotland , he then trips and nearly falls over , anyone seeing this would then jokingly say " what a fanny " have a look on you tube for the iron bru add with the word fanny :thumbsup:

Novocastrian Oct 27th 2012 2:40 am

Originally Posted by sheera67 (Post 10352110)
have a look on you tube for the iron bru add with the word fanny :thumbsup:

Perhaps slightly off topic, but I got told off for being a dumb Geordie not long ago for mentioning Irn Bru. But at least I spelled it correctly.

I think I can handle fanny.

bats Oct 27th 2012 3:01 am

Originally Posted by siouxie (Post 10351765)
A fanny here is the buttocks or a bum - what we call a 'bum bag' is called a 'fanny pack' here - so when you call a cradle a fanny, you are saying they're a bum.

:)

They think you are calling them a bottom when you are really calling them a ladies front bottom.

Oink Oct 27th 2012 3:10 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10352159)
They think you are calling them a bottom when you are really calling them a ladies front bottom.

+1 keep up.

lcar Oct 27th 2012 4:24 am

Cutie patootie is the one that drives me crazy. I guess I understand it, it just makes me cringe :huh:

Greenhill Oct 27th 2012 12:40 pm

The phrase is used in the book "No Clean Clothes" by Robert Munsch (if that makes it less cringeworthy?)

Originally Posted by lcar (Post 10352210)
Cutie patootie is the one that drives me crazy. I guess I understand it, it just makes me cringe :huh:

sheera67 Oct 28th 2012 1:31 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10352136)
Perhaps slightly off topic, but I got told off for being a dumb Geordie not long ago for mentioning Irn Bru. But at least I spelled it correctly.

I think I can handle fanny.

Ahhh can't believe I spelt it like that , dumb I phone spellchecker , never understands the good auld scottish dialect :eek:

dbd33 Oct 28th 2012 1:44 am

If a woman comes into our office the Canadians declare her to be either a "cutie pie" or a "douche bag".

My, female, children, stopped going to the office when they were in their early teens and left the province asap. "Canadians" one reasonably observed "are horrible". Certainly their language is horrible, I hadn't heard similar expressions outside Canada until "Mad Men" was televised.

Novocastrian Oct 28th 2012 2:07 am

Originally Posted by sheera67 (Post 10353410)
Ahhh can't believe I spelt it like that , dumb I phone spellchecker , never understands the good auld scottish dialect :eek:

I believe it's iPhone. I phone is what I do when I phone someone. Oh, and spelled, although you may be speaking Scottish.

HSJones Oct 30th 2012 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by beautiful050278 (Post 10347794)
Bangs!:rofl:

That phrase drives me crazy!

And another is the use of 'entree' for a main dish. No folks, an entree is a starter!!! And you would have thought with it being a bilingual country and all they'd at least understand a bit of French!

sheera67 Oct 30th 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 10353445)
I believe it's iPhone. I phone is what I do when I phone someone. Oh, and spelled, although you may be speaking Scottish.

:p :p :p

Jingsamichty Oct 30th 2012 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by HSJones (Post 10357725)
That phrase drives me crazy!

And another is the use of 'entree' for a main dish. No folks, an entree is a starter!!! And you would have thought with it being a bilingual country and all they'd at least understand a bit of French!

And you'd also think that they'd be able to pronounce "croissant" properly...

Siouxie Oct 30th 2012 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 10357770)
And you'd also think that they'd be able to pronounce "croissant" properly...

and "herbs"

:)

macmike41 Oct 30th 2012 10:31 pm

How about small / medium / large/ double double

Oink Oct 31st 2012 4:14 am

Can you naffing believe this? They have something called fiddling competitions all over the country. I didn't look that closely but I really hope they don't have a kiddie competition. :eek:

http://canadiangrandmasters.ca

james.mc Oct 31st 2012 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10358440)
Can you naffing believe this? They have something called fiddling competitions all over the country. I didn't look that closely but I really hope they don't have a kiddie competition. :eek:

http://canadiangrandmasters.ca

But you could imagine in their innocence that they would have one, and publicise such an event. If they did it might be attended by the odd (I use that term loosely) older British TV/Pop stars :sneaky:

Aberdeen_Loon Nov 1st 2012 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10347975)
'A Pint'. It doesn't seems to mean any consistent measure here. Either they can't count properly or they're ripping people off.

A proper "Canadian" pint (at least here in Ontario) is the same as an Imperial pint (i.e., 20 oz), whereas a U.S. pint (which you will sometimes get here, but not that often) is only 16 oz.

Oink Nov 1st 2012 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Aberdeen_Loon (Post 10361631)
A proper "Canadian" pint (at least here in Ontario) is the same as an Imperial pint (i.e., 20 oz), whereas a U.S. pint (which you will sometimes get here, but not that often) is only 16 oz.

Not in BC. The rip off merchants here can pour anything from 14 to 20oz and still call it a pint. :thumbdown:

Aberdeen_Loon Nov 1st 2012 10:55 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 10347775)
What the heck is that!

I think it's spelled "mangiacake." It's (somewhat derogatory) Italian/Southern European slang for someone of Northern European extraction (or "unhyphenated"/"Heinz 57" Canadians). The implication is that we (people of British, Irish, German, Dutch or Scandinavian ancestry) lack culture and are very white bread in our tastes.

Hawk13 Nov 1st 2012 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10361636)
Not in BC. The rip off merchants here can pour anything from 14 to 20oz and still call it a pint. :thumbdown:

Yup :thumbdown:

Alan2005 Nov 1st 2012 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10361636)

I saw a report on this on TV. They even found somewhere handing out 12oz glasses as pints even though it's barely over a half.

Former Lancastrian Nov 2nd 2012 12:17 am

In my Province its illegal to have more than 750 ml of beer (26 ozs) in front of you for your personal consumption. So basically you can have 2 x bottles of beer but not 2 pints either imperial size (20 ozs) or US liquid size (16 ozs).
WTF:confused:

Oink Nov 2nd 2012 12:38 am

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 10361693)
I saw a report on this on TV. They even found somewhere handing out 12oz glasses as pints even though it's barely over a half.

The place is full of naffing morons. I asked a the bartender how much was in pint they served and he said. "It says on the glass its .51 I think?"

Jingsamichty Nov 2nd 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 10361713)
In my Province its illegal to have more than 750 ml of beer (26 ozs) in front of you for your personal consumption. So basically you can have 2 x bottles of beer but not 2 pints either imperial size (20 ozs) or US liquid size (16 ozs).
WTF:confused:

Your province must have run out of important things to make illegal.