Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian dialect

Canadian dialect

Old May 9th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all
Default Re: Canadian dialect

Originally Posted by el_richo;
Well i must admit. I do get a funny look from people, British included, when i greet them with a good old Yorkshire "Na Then". Especially when i include "...me old mucker".

Surely they should know what i'm talking about.
I've been teaching my Canadian friend some Yorkshire slang cos she goes over soon...things like "Nah then thee" and "What tha doin" she finds it hilarious
Old May 9th 2010, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kate 17
I have noticed you rubbishing a lot of people on here....I think you're a really nasty piece of work miss goody two shoes.

I am definitely spotting a trend in your reactions to people.

I don't really care though, do what you want.... I'm bored with this place.
You know, I'm rather flattered by this post.
Old May 9th 2010, 7:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Thinking it and saying it are very different. I would also be very careful who I was talking to when I was rubbishing someone else. Calling someone a bitch often enough to spot a trend in people's reactions, no wonder they back away.
It says a lot about someones character too, name calling and trashing someone behind their back. If one does not have the guts to say it to their face then ... Those that don't do it know what I mean the those that do it will forever be clueless.
Old May 9th 2010, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

[QUOTE=fledermaus;]You know, I'm rather flattered by this post. [/QUOTE
If you wanna be arsey go on FB it's so You!!
Old May 9th 2010, 8:47 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Bramley;8553824]
Originally Posted by fledermaus;
You know, I'm rather flattered by this post. [/QUOTE
If you wanna be arsey go on FB it's so You!!
If I understood what you have just said it would help.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8553837]
Originally Posted by Bramley

If I understood what you have just said it would help.
It probably would, but seeing as you like to be so vocal work it out
Old May 10th 2010, 5:29 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Has she gone - really, really gone ? has she , has she? Yes

BITCH

Now Fled dont ypou go into a huff cos I called her that behind her back - ok?! You nasty piece of work
Old May 10th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

LandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant futureLandC has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Has she gone - really, really gone ? has she , has she? Yes

BITCH

Now Fled dont ypou go into a huff cos I called her that behind her back - ok?! You nasty piece of work

Interesting that, kate called Canadian 2 faced in another thread as well.
Old May 10th 2010, 12:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
They don't like the word toilet either it has to be washroom...When I was in England last year I used to say, "where is the washroom please" and then I was looked at funny...."Yer what luv, do you mean the toilet".
This is so true of Canadians. My husband is a Canuck and even after being in the US for more than 12 years and a USC now as well, it is still called the washroom. In fact it used it yesterday as a matter of fact. And soda is still pop. However, I don't think this is a regional thing as it would appear those are the appropriate words for soda and bathroom/toilet for all of Canada.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:32 pm
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Bramley;8554265]
Originally Posted by fledermaus

It probably would, but seeing as you like to be so vocal work it out
Oh good grief. I see nothing wrong with being vocal, it's how you do it that counts.
Old May 10th 2010, 1:51 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I dropped a heavy object on my foot yesterday.

I said "shoot!"

Then I said

"shit, I just said shoot!".

My Anglo-Saxon roots were renewed shorly afterwards when some JWs came to the door.
Old May 10th 2010, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My husbands CEO is from South-Africa/England, so the other day after a big company meeting the CEO said :”There are some snacks in the room next to the toilets”, my hubby and the other South Africans thought that was funny.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:02 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
My husbands CEO is from South-Africa/England, so the other day after a big company meeting the CEO said :”There are some snacks in the room next to the toilets”, my hubby and the other South Africans thought that was funny.
Something to eat while you are sitting I assume. Like calling the kitchen the stove or the fridge.
Old May 10th 2010, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Souvy
I dropped a heavy object on my foot yesterday.

I said "shoot!"

Then I said

"shit, I just said shoot!".

My Anglo-Saxon roots were renewed shorly afterwards when some JWs came to the door.
Another DIY incident?
Old May 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
Account Closed

Do we have WCs in Canada? I don't remember seeing a sign calling the loo that.

My mum asks where the Ladies is when she needs the loo/toilet/lavatory/netty/WC/bathroom/washroom/powder room.

There are so many coy ways of asking where the room is, lets be bold and from now on call it the peeing and pooing room.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.