Reload this Page >

Canadian dialect

Canadian dialect

Old May 9th 2010, 5:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian dialect

Originally Posted by kate 17
What I notice is that the Canadians don't like the word bitch. It's F this and F that with some people I'm talking to, but I'm not one to say xxxx unless in certain circumstances hahaha, but if I call someone not present a bitch it's like they jump back, as if they have had a bucket of scalding water thrown over them.

They don't like the word toilet either it has to be washroom...When I was in England last year I used to say, "where is the washroom please" and then I was looked at funny...."Yer what luv, do you mean the toilet".
I would jump back if I was called a bitch.

The toilet word is a problem in the UK too, best to say loo. I have them all trained up at work
Old May 9th 2010, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I would jump back if I was called a bitch.

The toilet word is a problem in the UK too, best to say loo. I have them all trained up at work
yes, but when I say bitch it's when the person isn't there. It would take a lot for me to call someone a bitch to their face. Usually it's when I'm talking about a boss we have, or a celebrity.

I have people trained at work too. I say, "I'm off to the loo" and no one bats an eye now! I have yet to hear a Canadian say it though.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all
Smile Re: Canadian dialect

What I notice is that the Canadians don't like the word bitch. It's F this and F that with some people I'm talking to, but I'm not one to say xxxx unless in certain circumstances hahaha, but if I call someone not present a bitch it's like they jump back, as if they have had a bucket of scalding water thrown over them.

They don't like the word toilet either it has to be washroom...When I was in England last year I used to say, "where is the washroom please" and then I was looked at funny...."Yer what luv, do you mean the toilet".
LOL...My Canadian friend says "Yer what luv" when she visits and it sure sounds funny when she attempts to speak like someone from Yorkshire.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

yes, but when I say bitch it's when the person isn't there. It would take a lot for me to call someone a bitch to their face. Usually it's when I'm talking about a boss we have, or a celebrity.

I have people trained at work too. I say, "I'm off to the loo" and no one bats an eye now! I have yet to hear a Canadian say it though.
Good grief, you call people bitch behind their back?? That's really not very kind of you at all.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

People are always laughing at my accent...I find it annoying sometimes. I see Chinese people and Indian people who come into the office and no one would ever dream of trying to imitate their accents. I get sick of telling people where I'm from too. I have a complicated back ground so I just pick one of the places I lived in and leave it at that.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Good grief, you call people bitch behind their back?? That's really not very kind of you at all.
So you have never thought someone is being a bitch?
Old May 9th 2010, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

So you have never thought someone is being a bitch?
Thinking it and saying it are very different. I would also be very careful who I was talking to when I was rubbishing someone else. Calling someone a bitch often enough to spot a trend in people's reactions, no wonder they back away.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Thinking it and saying it are very different. I would also be very careful who I was talking to when I was rubbishing someone else. Calling someone a bitch often enough to spot a trend in people's reactions, no wonder they back away.
I have noticed you rubbishing a lot of people on here....I think you're a really nasty piece of work miss goody two shoes.

I am definitely spotting a trend in your reactions to people.

I don't really care though, do what you want.... I'm bored with this place.
Old May 9th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Bramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to allBramley is a name known to all

People are always laughing at my accent...I find it annoying sometimes. I see Chinese people and Indian people who come into the office and no one would ever dream of trying to imitate their accents. I get sick of telling people where I'm from too. I have a complicated back ground so I just pick one of the places I lived in and leave it at that.
I must admit I find it pretty humerous, but what we do find strange is when people ask us if we're from Scotland, Ireland and Australia
Old May 9th 2010, 5:50 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bramley
I must admit I find it pretty humerous, but what we do find strange is when people ask us if we're from Scotland, Ireland and Australia
Weird isn't it. I once confused a Sri Lankan with a Pakistani, and an American with Canadian.

Still, what do we expect from johnny foreigner. Surely they should recognise terminology and language subtlety
Old May 9th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo;
Weird isn't it. I once confused a Sri Lankan with a Pakistani, and an American with Canadian.

Still, what do we expect from johnny foreigner. Surely they should recognise terminology and language subtlety
LOL..I also love the puzzled look on canadians faces when they don't understand what we've said, now that's weird too especially when we all speak the same language...another belly chuckle every time.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:24 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL..I also love the puzzled look on canadians faces when they don't understand what we've said, now that's weird too especially when we all speak the same language...another belly chuckle every time.
Well i must admit. I do get a funny look from people, British included, when i greet them with a good old Yorkshire "Na Then". Especially when i include "...me old mucker".

Surely they should know what i'm talking about.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:30 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I have noticed you rubbishing a lot of people on here....I think you're a really nasty piece of work miss goody two shoes.

I am definitely spotting a trend in your reactions to people.

I don't really care though, do what you want.... I'm bored with this place.
And she doesn't have a Liberal Arts degree. Well, I ask you!

<don't let the door hit you in the arse>
Old May 9th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
He we go again with another sweeping generalization.
Originally Posted by Steve_P
So what was the point then?
Tread lightly Steve

Toilet is assuming too much. Someone may need a sink or mirror and not necessarily have to take a dump. That is my guess why washroom or bathroom is used rather than toilet.
Old May 9th 2010, 6:36 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Does the Canadian dialect extend further than "Awesome" "F'ck" and "Eh" ? For example: Everything is awesome even when it isn't...f'ck pronounced "fock" is blurted out at every interval and Eh comes after every sentence
And they call settees, chesterfields, what's up with that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.