Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Degrees

Canadian Degrees

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:32 am
Glaswegian

Default Re: Canadian Degrees

Originally Posted by dingbat
They have just been taught to use their brains, that is all.
Whichever way you look at it, they'll have a huge advantage in life.

I don't know if it's true, but a code 80 virtually guarantees them scholarships

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:39 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there education plans you can pay into that are also tax breaks?
Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:46 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Iginla
Isn't there education plans you can pay into that are also tax breaks?
A Registered Education Savings Plan ... the government pays some money in too.

Ideally you double dip ... pay money into your RSP ... take the tax refund and pay it into your RESP ... the government then gives you a little sweetener to help the fund grow.

Go to any Canadian bank and ask ... they all do them.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

OK, dumb question - what is a "RSP"?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

Ideally you double dip ... pay money into your RSP ... take the tax refund and pay it into your RESP ... the government then gives you a little sweetener to help the fund grow.

Old Nov 1st 2004, 2:56 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budgie1
OK, dumb question - what is a "RSP"?
Retirement Savings Plan.
Old Nov 1st 2004, 3:00 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian

That's the one. Cheers.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
Two *real* distance universities in Canada are Athabasca University and British Columbia Open University.

My wife took two courses (by which I mean individual university courses, not full degrees) from Athabasca that were no longer offered at the University of Calgary. They involved some assignments and a final exam taken at Athabasca's office in downtown Calgary. The courses were graded by a professor who was also available throughout the courses for questions. The material was covered properly, and knowledge learned was properly assessed. Only thing missing was the classroom experience. You would have to be highly self-motivated to get through a whole degree -- I don't think I could do it.

Every university in Canada will transfer courses from Athabasca; so you could do a year there, say, and then move into a traditional university and transfer your courses over. Very helpful if you don't meet a traditional faculty's entrance requirements right away: do a year at Athabasca, do well, and apply to a traditional university as a transfer student.

On the more general question of the quality of Canadian schools vs. British schools. I've said it before: if Canadian schools are no good, then it is a modern miracle that Canada functions. It does, obviously. So their schooling can't be all bad.
Guys, my thanks to everyone who took the trouble of contributing to this thread...gee if I had a headache before . It's given me a great deal to think about and of different ways to tackle this one so I guess now I just keep looking at the links etc. Thanks millions.
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to butt in on this thread, but speaking of degrees does anyone know if canadian uni's would accept a UK BSc as entry for a Masters? Just asking in case I decide to continue with my studies if I get PR (won't be for a couple of years yet). Any comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Sue
Old Nov 3rd 2004, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by cosmo
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but speaking of degrees does anyone know if canadian uni's would accept a UK BSc as entry for a Masters?
Of course they will!
Old Nov 4th 2004, 1:38 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cosmo
Sorry to butt in on this thread, but speaking of degrees does anyone know if canadian uni's would accept a UK BSc as entry for a Masters? Just asking in case I decide to continue with my studies if I get PR (won't be for a couple of years yet). Any comments gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Sue
Send a sealed transcript to the University you intend to apply to and ask them to give you a credit evaluation for the purposes of your application. If your BSc course was only three years long, you may have to do some extra courses to qualify for entry to a Masters program in some provinces.