Reload this Page >

Canadian Degrees

Canadian Degrees

Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Gaz_F will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Canadian Degrees

Originally Posted by Jonny
When I was doing my Chemistry A-Level in the UK, we were using books that our teacher used when he did his O-Level Chemistry...
Sorry, I said I wouldn't grind this anymore, but I'd like to know who your chemistry tutor was and speak to him.

Britain used to lead the world in chemical and metallurgical sciences. (Chobham armour, 940m/s velocity rifles, ship building etc, etc)

We are now far behind. I find the remark your tutor said quite flippant; If your A level material were his O level material, (A= advanced, O= ordinary) that is a drop in standards.

Regarding degrees and vocational qualifications. I have a degree: one certificate.
I also have vocational qualifications in IT, teaching, mechanical instruction, communications, communications technology, dyspraxic and dyslexic instruction; The list goes on.
Problem is, non of these are recognised outside the UK. (And most, not even inside)

In my opinion, UK exams are getting easier.
This isn't the view of everyone on the forum, neither the view of HM Government or most of it's employees.

Lets agree to disagree.
Gaz.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:18 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Gaz&Paula
Regarding degrees and vocational qualifications. I have a degree: one certificate.
I also have vocational qualifications in IT, teaching, mechanical instruction, communications, communications technology, dyspraxic and dyslexic instruction; The list goes on.
Problem is, non of these are recognised outside the UK. (And most, not even inside)
Have you confirmed that?

If you have all that vocational training, you'll probably find a distance learning course that will give you credits for it ... don't smack me too hard if I'm stating the obvious and you've been down this path already

Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

...This is where I think online degrees fail, while it may be okay to take one or two specific courses online, doing an entire degree online means you miss out on this physical contact and "live" interaction with both lecturers, professors and fellow students that is an important part of any degree course. ...
Does depend on how the online course is undertaken....the one through Kings college you undertake the written essays yes, and have access to their online library...but the lectures are on a webcam, and there is online debate amongst other students taking the course, and they do limit it to a small "class", so it's pretty much like you were there, except yout at a computer else where...
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Have you confirmed that?

If you have all that vocational training, you'll probably find a distance learning course that will give you credits for it ... don't smack me too hard if I'm stating the obvious and you've been down this path already
Yup,

I've checked them out. All the UK vocationals are NVQ qualifications. Passed by Bicton College near Exeter.
Due to the way the Government is now funding education, a military training establishment can apply for a £5M grant, per annum, to attract candidated for NVQ training. So, if you join the UK armed forces you get a public services, level 2, NVQ certification saying you can wash, iron, clean, scrub, talk, listen, shower, shave, clean teeth etc.

I have very few internationally transferrable qualifications. But the ones I do have are very rare or expensive to obtain. (Thank you HM Government)

NVQ= Not Very Qualified. And I know I open myself to attack with this one.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:42 pm
Glaswegian

What are you planning to do when you get over here?

I just turned 40, so my education was so long ago it's almost irrelevant ... however ... Canadian employers do like us old farts ... lots of life experience, less likely to annoy other employees or customers ... in the end its the experience they pay for, not the bits of paper.

Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

What are you planning to do when you get over here?

I just turned 40, so my education was so long ago it's almost irrelevant ... however ... Canadian employers do like us old farts ... lots of life experience, less likely to annoy other employees or customers ... in the end its the experience they pay for, not the bits of paper.
Thanks for the 'fogie' support!

As for what I'll do. I'd like to start a business; but I'm still checking the competition.

Regards,
G.
Old Oct 30th 2004, 11:58 pm
Glaswegian

Thanks for the 'fogie' support!
You're welcome.

As for what I'll do. I'd like to start a business; but I'm still checking the competition.
Good luck

Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Brodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really niceBrodel is just really nice

well I am open to you changing my views etc, I agree they may have gotten easier, but at the same time you would hope that a 40 year old would find them relatively easy. All I was saying is how it is pretty defeating when each year the results come out all you hear is how easy it is. It makes the two years of hard work you have done feel like its just getting written off because of something you cant help.
I'm not looking for pitty, I have after lots of counseling, managed to get over it haha just kidding. I just feel a bit sorry for the people that have just done them when it happens.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 12:19 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Brodel
It makes the two years of hard work you have done feel like its just getting written off because of something you cant help.
It's certainly not fair ... you worked hard to pass the exams, but the UK government seems hell bent on continually milking improvements from the education sytem ... there's tinkering going on somewhere.

Fortunately most people writing A-level exams don't see them as an end in themselves ... they qualify you for university ... where you can go along and listen to graduates complain about how it was much harder in their day.

Guess what ... in five years time you'll be doing the same.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

prodigyking will become famous soon enough

I've got more degrees than a circle!
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:37 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps it's important to remember that online courses will never get you as much accreditation as "real" universities. The system in Canada is definitely not easier than the UK. Speaking as someone who has done degrees in both countries, I've found the UK system much more relaxed and easier than Canadian equivalents. My Master of Science degree in the UK was easier than my Bachelor of Arts degree in Canada. BTW...I think that online degrees are seen almost like a joke, a degree that was bought online instead of earned. This is true of both the UK and Canada.
Perhaps I should have been more specific - I also have a degree from the UK but fit squarely into the old fogey class having graduated in 1985 the first time around. The UK degree and A levels (taken in 1982) were much much harder and more demanding of critical thought than any of the nonsense I did here. Except Maths. My sore point...
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:59 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dingbat
The UK degree and A levels (taken in 1982) were much much harder and more demanding of critical thought than any of the nonsense I did here.
Is that more a factor of time rather than distance?

Has there been a global dumbing down of exams to meet expectations?

Everybody needs a degree now ... it wasn't the same 20 years ago.

Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:35 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Is that more a factor of time rather than distance?

Has there been a global dumbing down of exams to meet expectations?

Everybody needs a degree now ... it wasn't the same 20 years ago.
You could very well be right. I can only really compare the UK and Canada and the US systems, of which I have some knowledge. I cannot comment on science based degrees, because my experience is all arts based (History & Politics + PGCE the first time around and Bachelor of Social Work the second time around). I think education has become a lucrative market over here, that is all. The amount of daft and unnecessary courses people are made to do, only puts $$$ in the pockets of the providers. Being an eternal student keeps people off unemployment statistics after all. Forcing immigrants to "re train" or "upgrade" is insulting when many can easily challenge most of the offerings and get A's. Many, however, just cannot afford to go back to school and some don't want to. A dilemma to be sure.
Old Oct 31st 2004, 1:58 am
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by dingbat
Forcing immigrants to "re train" or "upgrade" is insulting when many can easily challenge most of the offerings and get A's.
It would be nice if challenging the exams was all that was required ... the average experienced immigrant would kick butt on most of them ... it's the requirement to pay for the course first that's unfair.

The system sucks for sure, but it's still better than life under Bliar

Old Oct 31st 2004, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

On the on-line front I think you will find that you run into problems with regard to residence. For example I know the "university" of Phoenix requires you to be either a US resident or Citizen, I think just a resident but you definately can't enroll if you are outside the US. I recall looking at a few when I first moved to Canada as a way to do some sort of online course for extra skills but it all seemed a bit of a waste of time. If you want to live in Canada then do your extra education in Canada if you can. Every country considers their system to be the best so inevitably employers in Canada will view Canadian degrees as being the best and I believe for the same reason some think US degrees are less desirable, maybe not Ivy League ones but the basic 2 year community college type degrees. I don't think in the US they need special status to issue degrees like in the UK. So if you can do further education in Canada it can't do anything but help employment prospects in Canada. I think the difficulty in finding work etc. is more an immigrant issue rather than a general ones.

Drew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.