Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Business Visa or Tourist Visa?

Canadian Business Visa or Tourist Visa?

Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

Bromelia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Business Visa or Tourist Visa?

Hey!

Can someone please help...

I’ve tried to get in touch with the Canadian High Commission etc but they are proving to be extremely reluctant to pick up and answer the phone (Thurs/Fri)! I’ve scanned their website to find the answer to my queries to no avail; I’ve looked on travel forums and I’ve read so many different responses to my queries that I’m starting to go a little loopy...can anyone please therefore provide me with the correct answer to the following queries to save my sanity?

I’m looking to enter Canada under two possible scenarios:

i) on business, i.e. working for a company based outside of Canada, but I’ll be visiting companies within Canada over a period of 2-3 months, and residing there whilst I do so

ii) for pleasure, i.e. I’ll be travelling around Canada, but perhaps staying in rented accommodation in one place for a period of 2-3 months

Can you please tell me, as a British citizen (I’m 30 y/o) and I’ll only have a one-way ticket out there, what do I have to do, e.g. in terms of visas (I know that I don’t need a visa to enter Canada as a British citizen, but if I was to be doing business out there then do I require a temporary working visa or a business visa?), funds in my account, documentation (e.g. work contract) etc., for either option?

What am I entitled to etc as a British citizen with a one-way ticket, i.e. I think that I’m allowed to visit Canada, without having to apply for a tourist visa, for a period of 3 – 6 months, but need to have a return or onward ticket?

Re the business visitor visa - is this something that I can purchase when I arrive at immigration? How long can I stay in Canada with this visa?

Thank you for any quick feedback on this; it’s really appreciated!
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadian Business Visa or Tourist Visa?

I am no expert but I think you had better pack some rolls and bacon for the wait you will have, your thinking that there must be a fast fix to your problem but that aint the case, sorry, get ready for the reality check because I think its on its way...........................
Old Aug 8th 2010, 7:31 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bromelia
Hey!

Can someone please help...

I’ve tried to get in touch with the Canadian High Commission etc but they are proving to be extremely reluctant to pick up and answer the phone (Thurs/Fri)! I’ve scanned their website to find the answer to my queries to no avail; I’ve looked on travel forums and I’ve read so many different responses to my queries that I’m starting to go a little loopy...can anyone please therefore provide me with the correct answer to the following queries to save my sanity?

I’m looking to enter Canada under two possible scenarios:

i) on business, i.e. working for a company based outside of Canada, but I’ll be visiting companies within Canada over a period of 2-3 months, and residing there whilst I do so

ii) for pleasure, i.e. I’ll be travelling around Canada, but perhaps staying in rented accommodation in one place for a period of 2-3 months

Can you please tell me, as a British citizen (I’m 30 y/o) and I’ll only have a one-way ticket out there, what do I have to do, e.g. in terms of visas (I know that I don’t need a visa to enter Canada as a British citizen, but if I was to be doing business out there then do I require a temporary working visa or a business visa?), funds in my account, documentation (e.g. work contract) etc., for either option?

What am I entitled to etc as a British citizen with a one-way ticket, i.e. I think that I’m allowed to visit Canada, without having to apply for a tourist visa, for a period of 3 – 6 months, but need to have a return or onward ticket?

Re the business visitor visa - is this something that I can purchase when I arrive at immigration? How long can I stay in Canada with this visa?

Thank you for any quick feedback on this; it’s really appreciated!
You cannot purchase any visa. If you are coming to Canada to represent a foreign company to their customers on a temporary basis, you have to tell immigration when you arrive. You will not be considered a resident, nor will you have any form of medical coverage (get insurance). If you are doing this, why do you only have a one way ticket?

If you have a one way ticket, the airline may not let you on in the first place, or immigration may not let you into Canada.

You cannot work while you are in Canada without a Work Permit, which you could not get on the basis of working for a foreign business.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:03 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Visiting companies for meetings etc is a normal business activity - would that require a special visa?
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Visiting companies for meetings etc is a normal business activity - would that require a special visa?
No special entry permit required. Lots of people do this, sales reps, presenters and trainers, trade show reps, oh yeah and flight crews.

Just tell immigration what you are doing and when you are leaving.

Problem coming on an international flight with a one way, they would look for evidence of a pending departure. Some carriers will refuse boarding to one ways if they are not a national of that country or prove they have residency status. If immigration refuses entry, the carrier has to take them back, usually at no cost as the chances of getting the fare back are remote.
Old Aug 8th 2010, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

kamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud ofkamikaze has much to be proud of

I have done it for a week or two at a time, but 3 months on a oneway ticket ? i dont think so do you ? I smell a rat already, what company would send an employee abroad on a one way ticket for an unspecified period of time ? to roam the land ! I dont work for CIC but I would have lots of questions to ask.

Last edited by kamikaze; Aug 8th 2010 at 9:17 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the heads up

At the moment, I'm not sure how long I'll be there on business; it could be there for a few weeks or a month, or maybe not at all, hence why enquired re the tourist visa.

If my business plans did materialise (there's no rat; it's just to attend conferences etc) then do you know

i) how I apply for a business visa?
ii) do I have to get this before I go, or can I get this when I arrive at immigration? - what documentation do I need?
iii) because I am departing from one country which is not the same country that I am returning to, but will be going on to a different country I'd need an onward ticket, thing is, I'm not sure how long I'll be there for as although I might be there on business, I'd also like to see friends etc whilst I'm away, so could end up being there for a couple of months
iv) how long does the business visa last for - a week, a month, etc?

If I decide to scrap my business plans entirely and just go there for a long holiday (e.g. a month), providing I've an onward ticket, this should be okay, right - do I need to show that I've sufficient funds in my account?

Cheers for the advice!
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Bromelia
Thank you for the heads up

At the moment, I'm not sure how long I'll be there on business; it could be there for a few weeks or a month, or maybe not at all, hence why enquired re the tourist visa.

If my business plans did materialise (there's no rat; it's just to attend conferences etc) then do you know

i) how I apply for a business visa?
ii) do I have to get this before I go, or can I get this when I arrive at immigration? - what documentation do I need?
iii) because I am departing from one country which is not the same country that I am returning to, but will be going on to a different country I'd need an onward ticket, thing is, I'm not sure how long I'll be there for as although I might be there on business, I'd also like to see friends etc whilst I'm away, so could end up being there for a couple of months
iv) how long does the business visa last for - a week, a month, etc?

If I decide to scrap my business plans entirely and just go there for a long holiday (e.g. a month), providing I've an onward ticket, this should be okay, right - do I need to show that I've sufficient funds in my account?

Cheers for the advice!
There is no such thing as a business visa or a tourist visa. Assuming you are coming from a visa waiver country such as the UK you do not need a visa to get into Canada.

You arrive, tell them what you are doing, they let you in or they don't. If you are not a resident, you are let in as a visitor. The immigration officer will decide at POE if they will let you in and for how long. The max is 183 days.

You have now added you are departing from another country. If this is the US, then you also have to be able to get into the US, this may be another hurdle to cross without an onward ticket from Canada or the US.

You can purchase an open jaw ticket which allows arrival from one city and return from another. If you don't have the date that can also be open.

Like I said, talk to your travel agent. They know the answers about air travel or call BA or AC direct otherwise you may have a wasted trip to the airport.
Old Aug 9th 2010, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you guys for all your advice/help!

After all that, I've decided to postpone my journey anyway! I'll no doubt just end up going for pleasure too.

Again a HUGE thanks for all your help!!

xx