Reload this Page >

Canadian Born Abroad

Canadian Born Abroad

Old Oct 11th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

annibg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Born Abroad

Hello,

I am a Canadian by birth and am married to an Englishman and we have been living in the UK for 3 years. Our son is now 6 months old. We have submitted the application for my husband's visa for us to move to Canada. I know that becasue I'm a Canadian and was at the time of my son's birth - he is automatically a Canadian citizen. Not realizing this, we got him a British passport because we thought he would need it to travel. What do we do now? If my husband's visa is approved can we move to Canada with our son even though we haven't applied for his citizenship card yet? Is it best to apply for that card before we move? It is a 7 month process (according to the web site) so ideally we would want to go as soon as my husband's visa is approved (if it is approved) and not wait for a citizenship card. Is dual citizenship an option? If we don't have the citizenship card before we move, will my son be allowed into the country? WIll there be any limits to what he can do?

Thank you so much!
Old Oct 11th 2011, 6:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Born Abroad

Dual citizenship is fine.

My gut feel is that although its would be "safer" to have a canadian citizenship document, with a birth certificate and proof of your citizenship he should be able to travel on his UK passport and prove his canadian status at the point of entry anyway.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

Originally Posted by annibg
Hello,

I am a Canadian by birth and am married to an Englishman and we have been living in the UK for 3 years. Our son is now 6 months old. We have submitted the application for my husband's visa for us to move to Canada. I know that becasue I'm a Canadian and was at the time of my son's birth - he is automatically a Canadian citizen. Not realizing this, we got him a British passport because we thought he would need it to travel. What do we do now? If my husband's visa is approved can we move to Canada with our son even though we haven't applied for his citizenship card yet? Is it best to apply for that card before we move? It is a 7 month process (according to the web site) so ideally we would want to go as soon as my husband's visa is approved (if it is approved) and not wait for a citizenship card. Is dual citizenship an option? If we don't have the citizenship card before we move, will my son be allowed into the country? WIll there be any limits to what he can do?

Thank you so much!
i have a 4 week old daughter and we are moving back to Canada in January - I contacted the consulate and they advised that I should submit an application for her citizenship as well as a canadian passport at the same time and they will issue her a limited validity passport. The citizenship docs take longer and will be issued in due course.

I agree with Iaink that you are unlikely to have issues, however the consulate told me our daughter has to enter on a canadian passport. I have both UK and Canadian passports and I've not had an issue using either but I did ask at passport control one time and they said they would always want to see my canadian passport.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

annibg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help Mrs-G. I really appreciate it. I was wondering how you contacted the consulate. We have emailed ... back in June ... and still heard nothing back. And we've tried the contact numbers online and just gone through rings of "press 1 for ..." and gotten no where. Did you make an appointment and go in person or were you able to get a hold of them another way? Thanks again for the help!