Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

albera income tax

albera income tax

Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

sean1169 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post albera income tax

can anybody gime me an idea of how much income tax do you pay do you pay fereal tax + province tax, do employers deduct it from salary, where you would pay it and what percentage do you pay?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: albera income tax

Originally Posted by sean1169
can anybody gime me an idea of how much income tax do you pay do you pay fereal tax + province tax, do employers deduct it from salary, where you would pay it and what percentage do you pay?
Did the Wiki article on tax and the links to various website on it not answer your question? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Income_Tax_Rates-Canada
Old Oct 13th 2011, 3:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Did the Wiki article on tax and the links to various website on it not answer your question? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Income_Tax_Rates-Canada
Ooooh snap !
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:07 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi,
I looked at those, very interesting. I understand the basic principles of the taxation system except the Basic Personal Amount, what does that mean?

Just being a bit thick I suppose, is that a personal allowance you would have in UK that is free from tax? I know many of you fill/file tax returns, I hope you might tell me without having to go through pages and pages of terribly exciting data.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:09 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expatdoris
Hi,
I looked at those, very interesting. I understand the basic principles of the taxation system except the Basic Personal Amount, what does that mean?

Just being a bit thick I suppose, is that a personal allowance you would have in UK that is free from tax? I know many of you fill/file tax returns, I hope you might tell me without having to go through pages and pages of terribly exciting data.
They are the same.

Everyone should file a tax return who has income or receives benefits.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:17 pm
Banned

expatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really niceexpatdoris is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
They are the same.

Brilliant, so to confirm, in Alberta, for 2011, I get $16977 before I pay tax and then I pay the balance on a sliding scale according to the table;

and I will get $10527 free of tax from the feds and then i pay 15% on the balance up to $127k (If only). Is this a/an eureka moment?
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:26 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a/an eureka moment?
Do hope so.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant, so to confirm, in Alberta, for 2011, I get $16977 before I pay tax and then I pay the balance on a sliding scale according to the table;

and I will get $10527 free of tax from the feds and then i pay 15% on the balance up to $127k (If only). Is this a/an eureka moment?
try the calculators here http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

They are very accurate, but of course any number of personal factors weigh into the tax you pay, so make sure your employer has an accurate form TD1 unless you want them to deduct based on the worst case scenario.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 4:49 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by iaink
try the calculators here http://www.taxtips.ca/calculators/taxcalculator.htm

They are very accurate, but of course any number of personal factors weigh into the tax you pay, so make sure your employer has an accurate form TD1 unless you want them to deduct based on the worst case scenario.
Thanks IainK.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:10 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

You can transfer your partners allowance if your married etc to you if they do not work.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 5:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite.

For Alberta tax you get a credit equivalent to the tax due on the first $16,977 of income. Thereafter all income is taxed at 10%.

For federal tax you get a credit equivalent to the tax due on the first $10,527 of income. Thereafter your income is taxed at progressive rates: 15% 22% 26% and 29%.

For example, say you earn $100,000.

Alberta tax is $100,000 @ 10% = $10,000 less $16,977 @ 10% = 1697.70. Net provincial tax is 10,000 - 1697.70 = $8,302.30. You also get a tax credit for CPP and EI premiums and this is $3, 005 @ 10% and this reduces the provincial tax to $8,002.

For federal tax the first $41,544 is taxed at 15% = $6,231.60. The next $41,544 is taxed at 22% = $9,139.68. The balance up to $100,000 is taxed at 26% so $16,912 @ 26% = $4,397.12. (The top rate of 29% kicks in at $128,800.) Therefore federal tax due is 6,231.60 + 9,139.68 + 4,397.12 = $19,768.40. The federal personal tax credit is $10,527 @ 15% = $1,579.05. There are additional federal tax credits for employed people, and for CPP and EI premiums paid. These amount to $4,070 @ 15% = $610.50. Therefore net federal tax is $19,768.40 - 1,579.05 - 610.50 = $17,579.

So, the total tax due on $100,000 is 8,002 + 17,579 = $25,581.

You also have to factor in EI and CPP premiums which total $3,004.36 in 2011 so from your $100,000 in income the governments take a total of $28,585 or 28.60%.

This assumes a single person with no dependents and no other tax credits. There are a whole raft of credits that mean many people pay less.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:30 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
They are the same.

Actually, if your income is too low to pay tax, there is no duty to file a return.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Not quite.

For Alberta tax you get a credit equivalent to the tax due on the first $16,977 of income. Thereafter all income is taxed at 10%.

For federal tax you get a credit equivalent to the tax due on the first $10,527 of income. Thereafter your income is taxed at progressive rates: 15% 22% 26% and 29%.

For example, say you earn $100,000.

Alberta tax is $100,000 @ 10% = $10,000 less $16,977 @ 10% = 1697.70. Net provincial tax is 10,000 - 1697.70 = $8,302.30. You also get a tax credit for CPP and EI premiums and this is $3, 005 @ 10% and this reduces the provincial tax to $8,002.

For federal tax the first $41,544 is taxed at 15% = $6,231.60. The next $41,544 is taxed at 22% = $9,139.68. The balance up to $100,000 is taxed at 26% so $16,912 @ 26% = $4,397.12. (The top rate of 29% kicks in at $128,800.) Therefore federal tax due is 6,231.60 + 9,139.68 + 4,397.12 = $19,768.40. The federal personal tax credit is $10,527 @ 15% = $1,579.05. There are additional federal tax credits for employed people, and for CPP and EI premiums paid. These amount to $4,070 @ 15% = $610.50. Therefore net federal tax is $19,768.40 - 1,579.05 - 610.50 = $17,579.

So, the total tax due on $100,000 is 8,002 + 17,579 = $25,581.

You also have to factor in EI and CPP premiums which total $3,004.36 in 2011 so from your $100,000 in income the governments take a total of $28,585 or 28.60%.

This assumes a single person with no dependents and no other tax credits. There are a whole raft of credits that mean many people pay less.
Quite simple really! Thanks, you are the best. Seriously, you have made it look quite simple, even I understand it. Cheers. Doris.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:42 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Actually, if your income is too low to pay tax, there is no duty to file a return.
If your income is that low you would be well advised to file because without the official return you miss out on all kinds of benefits and rebates.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 7:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If your income is that low you would be well advised to file because without the official return you miss out on all kinds of benefits and rebates.
Agreed, but it isn't compulsory.

One way in which Canada's taxation is different to the UK's, is that there is still joint taxation for couples, and the higher earner can use the lower earner's allowances. I'm retired, but I've put off claiming all my pension entitlements and put my savings into long term investments, so that my income is kept low. This reduces my husband's income tax by about $1,800 p.a.

Even so, I still don't have to file a return to get the rebate for my husband. He can just put the figures for my unused allowances on his return. However, I choose to do so. I have to work out my tax liability in order to work out my husband's, so I might as well send them the forms.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.