Reload this Page >

CanadaGo's question about child benefit

CanadaGo's question about child benefit

Old Mar 18th 2015, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

CanadaGo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CanadaGo's question about child benefit

Hello

I have applied and am awaiting for my PR. I have 2 kids and just want to know re child benefit. Me and my husband have good jobs.
I just want to know what is the child benefit given to a child per week.
In UK its really pants. My older one gets £20 a week and my second one £13 a week.
I heard the government is more generous there.
Also what date does the child benefit start.
Is it the day from when I get PR or when I land in Canada.
Please someone kindly advise.
Thanks
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Solo: UK To Canada

Originally Posted by CanadaGo
Hello

I have applied and am awaiting for my PR. I have 2 kids and just want to know re child benefit. Me and my husband have good jobs.
I just want to know what is the child benefit given to a child per week.
In UK its really pants. My older one gets £20 a week and my second one £13 a week.
I heard the government is more generous there.
Also what date does the child benefit start.
Is it the day from when I get PR or when I land in Canada.
Please someone kindly advise.
Thanks
You've asked this on somebody else's thread, in the Welcome Inn (which is just for introductions), so I'll move it to your own thread in the Canada forum where you should get more of a response.

But if you think £33 a week is 'pants', then you're in for a bit of a shock! The UK is far more generous in terms of benefits. Iirc, it's $100 a month in Canada per child so less than you get now, but unlike the UK where you get paid child benefit until your children are aged 16 (or older if they're in education), in Canada it's only for those with children aged 6 or under I think.

And it's not from when you get PR or from when you land either, you have to be living in Canada to claim it (so if for example, you landed and then returned to the UK, you wouldn't be eligible).

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:10 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CanadaGo's question about child benefit

You have good jobs now - or you have good jobs to go to when you get to Canada?

Annual income will have a bearing on eligibility.

Edit: there is Universal Child Benefit credit for children up to 6 - and a new proposed benefit coming in from age 7-17 I believe.
Other benefits will depend on income.

How old are your children?

Edit again, I see Almost Canadian has already said the same thing!

Last edited by ann m; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:29 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going Solo: UK To Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You've asked this on somebody else's thread, in the Welcome Inn (which is just for introductions), so I'll move it to your own thread in the Canada forum where you should get more of a response.

But if you think £33 a week is 'pants', then you're in for a bit of a shock! The UK is far more generous in terms of benefits. Iirc, it's $100 a month in Canada per child so less than you get now, but unlike the UK where you get paid child benefit until your children are aged 16 (or older if they're in education), in Canada it's only for those with children aged 6 or under I think.

And it's not from when you get PR or from when you land either, you have to be living in Canada to claim it (so if for example, you landed and then returned to the UK, you wouldn't be eligible).

HTH.
It is about to increase and will be payable, at a reduced rate, from 6 to 17. Here is a link: UCCB

To the OP: that is the amount for Universal Child Care Benefit. This amount is not dependant upon income. There are other benefits that one can receive depending upon income. Here is a link: Child and Family benefits

You will only receive these while you reside in Canada. Having PR is irrelevant (if you land and return to the UK)

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 18th 2015 at 6:33 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Is it just me or is it slightly in bad taste to declare you have good jobs, bad mouth the UK system and then asking how much you can get off a new government in a new country...
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:15 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Is it just me or is it slightly in bad taste to declare you have good jobs, bad mouth the UK system and then asking how much you can get off a new government in a new country...
No, not just you!
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:21 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

That was how I read it too.
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

I wouldn't complain about the UK benefit for kids...we get about 40% of that here for the kids...and that's after having to wait 18 months as on a work permit...
Old Mar 18th 2015, 10:38 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Canada most certainly isn't a place to head for if one is seeking benefits. The UK is IMHO way too generous with benefits which is in part why there are some national finance "issues"
Old Mar 18th 2015, 11:57 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

There are two child related benefit things (speaking for ontario), I know UCCB is one, cannot remember what the other is. I do know one does take income into account, and seems tailored towards lower income, and I know we did not qualify due to having an income above the threshold.

I'm going to bite my tongue and resist commenting on the UK system and how it's being abused by workshy scumbags, as it'll just get a little heated.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 12:25 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I know this won't help with the OP's original question, but did anyone else watch Benefit Street on UK television? It was massive innit!
Old Mar 19th 2015, 12:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

No, not just you TT.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 1:34 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
I wouldn't complain about the UK benefit for kids...we get about 40% of that here...
Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Canada most certainly isn't a place to head for if one is seeking benefits.
Child Benefit may be an exception though.

Our two are in their 20s now but child benefit for them was around $600 a month for both and $300 for one when the eldest was too old.
Old Mar 19th 2015, 2:45 am
I need a walk

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Child Benefit may be an exception though.

Our two are in their 20s now but child benefit for them was around $600 a month for both and $300 for one when the eldest was too old.
That's interesting to know. Not that I was complaining but I always thought that in the UK it was a bit strange that the benefits were not means tested in any way. I suppose that if one paid higher rate taxes then this was fair enough- it just didn't follow the trend of other benefits available
Old Mar 19th 2015, 7:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
That's interesting to know. Not that I was complaining but I always thought that in the UK it was a bit strange that the benefits were not means tested in any way. I suppose that if one paid higher rate taxes then this was fair enough- it just didn't follow the trend of other benefits available
Child benefit is means tested - I don't get it, as we earn over the household amount, which is absolutely fair enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.