British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   CanadaGo's question about child benefit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadagos-question-about-child-benefit-854789/)

CanadaGo Mar 18th 2015 5:31 pm

CanadaGo's question about child benefit

Hello

I have applied and am awaiting for my PR. I have 2 kids and just want to know re child benefit. Me and my husband have good jobs.
I just want to know what is the child benefit given to a child per week.
In UK its really pants. My older one gets £20 a week and my second one £13 a week.
I heard the government is more generous there.
Also what date does the child benefit start.
Is it the day from when I get PR or when I land in Canada.
Please someone kindly advise.
Thanks

christmasoompa Mar 18th 2015 6:05 pm

Re: Going Solo: UK To Canada

Originally Posted by CanadaGo (Post 11595788)
Hello

I have applied and am awaiting for my PR. I have 2 kids and just want to know re child benefit. Me and my husband have good jobs.
I just want to know what is the child benefit given to a child per week.
In UK its really pants. My older one gets £20 a week and my second one £13 a week.
I heard the government is more generous there.
Also what date does the child benefit start.
Is it the day from when I get PR or when I land in Canada.
Please someone kindly advise.
Thanks

You've asked this on somebody else's thread, in the Welcome Inn (which is just for introductions), so I'll move it to your own thread in the Canada forum where you should get more of a response.

But if you think £33 a week is 'pants', then you're in for a bit of a shock! The UK is far more generous in terms of benefits. Iirc, it's $100 a month in Canada per child so less than you get now, but unlike the UK where you get paid child benefit until your children are aged 16 (or older if they're in education), in Canada it's only for those with children aged 6 or under I think.

And it's not from when you get PR or from when you land either, you have to be living in Canada to claim it (so if for example, you landed and then returned to the UK, you wouldn't be eligible).

HTH.

ann m Mar 18th 2015 6:27 pm

Re: CanadaGo's question about child benefit

You have good jobs now - or you have good jobs to go to when you get to Canada?

Annual income will have a bearing on eligibility.

Edit: there is Universal Child Benefit credit for children up to 6 - and a new proposed benefit coming in from age 7-17 I believe.
Other benefits will depend on income.

How old are your children?

Edit again, I see Almost Canadian has already said the same thing!

Almost Canadian Mar 18th 2015 6:27 pm

Re: Going Solo: UK To Canada

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11595827)
You've asked this on somebody else's thread, in the Welcome Inn (which is just for introductions), so I'll move it to your own thread in the Canada forum where you should get more of a response.

But if you think £33 a week is 'pants', then you're in for a bit of a shock! The UK is far more generous in terms of benefits. Iirc, it's $100 a month in Canada per child so less than you get now, but unlike the UK where you get paid child benefit until your children are aged 16 (or older if they're in education), in Canada it's only for those with children aged 6 or under I think.

And it's not from when you get PR or from when you land either, you have to be living in Canada to claim it (so if for example, you landed and then returned to the UK, you wouldn't be eligible).

HTH.

It is about to increase and will be payable, at a reduced rate, from 6 to 17. Here is a link: UCCB

To the OP: that is the amount for Universal Child Care Benefit. This amount is not dependant upon income. There are other benefits that one can receive depending upon income. Here is a link: Child and Family benefits

You will only receive these while you reside in Canada. Having PR is irrelevant (if you land and return to the UK)

Tirytory Mar 18th 2015 10:09 pm

Is it just me or is it slightly in bad taste to declare you have good jobs, bad mouth the UK system and then asking how much you can get off a new government in a new country...

Stinkypup Mar 18th 2015 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11596072)
Is it just me or is it slightly in bad taste to declare you have good jobs, bad mouth the UK system and then asking how much you can get off a new government in a new country...

No, not just you!;)

SchnookoLoly Mar 18th 2015 10:21 pm

That was how I read it too.

Jackandvictor Mar 18th 2015 10:23 pm

I wouldn't complain about the UK benefit for kids...we get about 40% of that here for the kids...and that's after having to wait 18 months as on a work permit...

Stinkypup Mar 18th 2015 10:38 pm

Canada most certainly isn't a place to head for if one is seeking benefits. The UK is IMHO way too generous with benefits which is in part why there are some national finance "issues"

sharkus Mar 18th 2015 11:57 pm

There are two child related benefit things (speaking for ontario), I know UCCB is one, cannot remember what the other is. I do know one does take income into account, and seems tailored towards lower income, and I know we did not qualify due to having an income above the threshold.

I'm going to bite my tongue and resist commenting on the UK system and how it's being abused by workshy scumbags, as it'll just get a little heated.

rivingtonpike Mar 19th 2015 12:25 am

I know this won't help with the OP's original question, but did anyone else watch Benefit Street on UK television? It was massive innit!

Dorothy Mar 19th 2015 12:29 am

No, not just you TT.

BristolUK Mar 19th 2015 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor (Post 11596082)
I wouldn't complain about the UK benefit for kids...we get about 40% of that here...

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11596088)
Canada most certainly isn't a place to head for if one is seeking benefits.

Child Benefit may be an exception though.

Our two are in their 20s now but child benefit for them was around $600 a month for both and $300 for one when the eldest was too old.

Stinkypup Mar 19th 2015 2:45 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11596183)
Child Benefit may be an exception though.

Our two are in their 20s now but child benefit for them was around $600 a month for both and $300 for one when the eldest was too old.

That's interesting to know. Not that I was complaining but I always thought that in the UK it was a bit strange that the benefits were not means tested in any way. I suppose that if one paid higher rate taxes then this was fair enough- it just didn't follow the trend of other benefits available

christmasoompa Mar 19th 2015 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11596208)
That's interesting to know. Not that I was complaining but I always thought that in the UK it was a bit strange that the benefits were not means tested in any way. I suppose that if one paid higher rate taxes then this was fair enough- it just didn't follow the trend of other benefits available

Child benefit is means tested - I don't get it, as we earn over the household amount, which is absolutely fair enough.