Reload this Page >

Canada VS Australia

Canada VS Australia

Old Sep 23rd 2003, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

sgaurav40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada VS Australia

Hi Guys,
I am a Software Engineer working at a relatively well paid and stable job in India.I qualify for immigration to both Canada and Australia.I would like to know your thoughts as to which one is a better option.I have studied in the US and worked in the US for 4 years so I am leaning towards Canada a bit.But,I know the job scenario in both countries is bad....so I would like to know how you experts view this.Of course, if the economy of these countries does not improve, I will not be moving out of India at all.

Thanks for your suggestions.
SG
Old Sep 24th 2003, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Canada VS Australia

Originally posted by sgaurav40
Hi Guys,
I am a Software Engineer working at a relatively well paid and stable job in India.I qualify for immigration to both Canada and Australia.I would like to know your thoughts as to which one is a better option.I have studied in the US and worked in the US for 4 years so I am leaning towards Canada a bit.But,I know the job scenario in both countries is bad....so I would like to know how you experts view this.Of course, if the economy of these countries does not improve, I will not be moving out of India at all.

Thanks for your suggestions.
SG

Interesting options eh?

In many ways both Oz & Canada are very similar, they both have the same western type suburbs with Mc Donalds and Wal Mart in every shopping mall etc.

The weather is of course quite different, you don't need me to tell you how cold it gets in Toronto and how hot things can be in Brisbane! But of course you might prefer those cold days more than the hot ones?

I think the tax rates in both countries are also very similar.....basically equally high!

Tough call, I think personally Canada would be better in terms of traveling to other places around the World, Oz is a bit isolated!

Cheers
Old Sep 25th 2003, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

RussMon is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear S Guarav,

Socrates I think once wrote a book. "Wherever I go there I am".

I guess the answer to your question lies very much therein.

You are taking you to another country but unless you fix whats inside of you, the outside will remain unchanged. You are the digit 1 before all the zeros. You are the star of the show.

The Vedas state "What is inside is outside and what is outside is inside. He that beleives there is an inside and an outside goes from sorrow to sorrow and death to death evermore".

So my advice to most would-be migrants is to create change from within. You cannot create change on the outside unless you have handled all the stuff that you hold dearly within yourself. Come with an open mind and an open heart. Rid yourself of all self-sabotaging beliefs.

The Universe gives you not what you want but what you expect.

Steps to do before you even make a decision about migrating to Australia or Canada.

Personally

1) Ask yourself what is important about these two countries in terms of your life in the future? When you get an answer ask yourself what is important about that?

2) What lessons do you have to learn or resolve lest you take them to the new country? Do events repeat themselves in your life? is there a lesson yet to be learnt then?

If you had a virus in your hard drive, shifting the computer to a new country or buying a new monitor would not resolve the problem. Therefore, ask yourself, what bad beleifs do you carry within you about the new country you intend going to? What fears to do you have about life in a new land?

Then tell yourself most of your imagined fears never really happened. Feel your fears. Breathe into them. Feel them and replace them with the opposite virute or attribute you are in need off.

Your fears were just phantoms in the brain!

Geographically about the countries:- Consider the follwoing..they are strictly my own personal views...and are written here in a light hearted manner and not intended to offend anyone. I love Australia and would have settled there myself had I not found the love of my life here!

3) Since you are an IT professional you would do well to hang around in Canada which is next door to the US. I drive 15 mts and I am at the border with Washington, (Seattle ) and Vancouver.

85% of all Canadians live on the border with the US.

4) Canada has a more Cosmopolitan outlook than Australia.

Australia is predominantely white, having followed a "White Paper Immigration Policy' for many years in the 50's 60' and 70's hence the population is 85% Caucasian or Anglo Saxon. Nothing wrong with that. Many countries in Asia dont even allow foreign nationals to live as immigrants even when they have lived there for over 20 yrs or more!

Now compare statistics with Canada since you are an Asian and think again? Where would you find 7 temples dedicated to the Hindu Pantheon all within in a City like Vancouver? There are Mosques, Sikh Gurudhwara's, Buddhist temples and Monasteries not to name several Jewish Synagogues, Christian Churches and even Shinto and aboriginal places of sancitity!

Where would you be actively encouraged to keep your cultural heritage? Canada of course!

The highest source countries for newly arrived Immirgrants are :-

China,

India

Pakistan

Phillipines

Toronto, Canada's largest city, is just a one-day drive from more than one-half of the population of the United States.

5) Canada has the largest land mass for a country in the world. You will never run out of this scarce commodity.lol

Canada's 37 national parks include Wood Buffalo National Park - which occupies more land than either Taiwan or the Netherlands

6) 10% of the world fresh water supplies ( never be thirsty again)lol.

Although Canada has much less than 1% of the world's population, we are blessed with 9% of the world's fresh water.

The life expectancy of Canadians is 82 years, which ranks them among the top five countries of the world.

Major cities like Halifax, Québec City, Montréal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver have only one, two or three days per year when air quality is considered poor, according to Environment Canada's Air Quality Index.

7) We have around 33 million plus people to Australia's 17 million or so.

A lot more people to talk to if you are lonley. Unless you like sheep more than you like people .....then you settle in New Zealand where there are I am told 65,000,000 sheep and 3 million people.

A culture of tolerance!
Canada's tolerant blend of cultures, in concert with unmatched natural wealth, has made for an enviable combination of opportunity, security and prosperity.

8) Remember the old saying "Love Thy Neighbour"

Compare Neighbours

Australia --> Plenty of sheep in NZ and plenty of (salt) water.

Canada ---> All the pretty looking women and the handsomest men you would ever want to meet in Hollywood! Plus Jerry Sienfield and a whole bunch of comic characters to cheer you up. You probably watch some of these wisecracks on a daily basis even now!

( Some would prefer sheep! They too are fun to be with you know.....lol)

Canadian Economy?

Along with the United States and Mexico, Canada is a member of the North American Free Trade Agreement - which makes for a single open market encompassing almost 400 million people. The benefit? Canadian trade with the United States doubled in the first five years after the free trade agreement was signed.

Continuing growth.......

Canada created 1,248,000 jobs in the 1997-99 period – more than the population of Ottawa, Ontario and Hull, Québec combined – and in 2000 the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development expects Canada to have the largest percentage growth in employment of all G-8 countries.

Export-oriented
Some 40% of Canada's economic output is exported, and the year-round port of Vancouver has a decided focus on the huge markets of Asia.

Sound government policies

Canada's 2000 federal government budget made it the only G-8 country with a balanced budget for three years running. Of the new expenditures, most target healthcare, research and industrial programs.

A KPMG study shows that Canada has the lowest business costs in strategically important industries: electronics, pharmaceuticals, telecommunication equipment, and software.

Finally, dont forget. "What is inside is also outside"

Take Care and good luck,

And I sincerely hope you pick Canada,

In CAN ADA YOU CAN!!

RUSS
www.russcanada.com/testimon.htm

PS: If you did not mind the light hearted banter please let me know. This is my second visit to this board so I am a newbie.
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:01 pm
Release the hounds!

AndrewR is an unknown quantity at this point

boy, you're quite the sensitive soul RussMon, if you felt the need to have my prevous posting deleted! (if it wasn't you then apologies)
Old Sep 30th 2003, 5:11 am
Just Joined

chink is an unknown quantity at this point

I enjoyed RussMon's post.

It's natural to be held back by fear of the unknown, but no venture no gain... What better way to challenge ourselves than to emigrate to a new country? It is a drastic move I'm prepared to make.

Personally, I'm inclined towards Australia because I believe that I will be able to adapt well to the lifestyle there. It helps that I was there for 3 1/2 years, from 1984 to 87, studying accountancy at Wollongong Uni, NSW. I'm Malaysian Chinese and have been based in Singapore for the last 14 years. I'm bored with my life here and am looking for some adventure!

But I would like to learn more about Canada before making the final decision.
Old Oct 1st 2003, 3:55 am
Just Joined

ray52 is an unknown quantity at this point

RussMon,

I really really enjoyed your writing!! So good to know about all that you wrote about Canada!!!

And Gourav, Canada should be your choice because if you stay there for 3years, you can be a Canadian citizen and you will never need H1B visa to work in USA.

-ray

Originally posted by RussMon
Dear S Guarav,

Socrates I think once wrote a book. "Wherever I go there I am".

I guess the answer to your question lies very much therein.

You are taking you to another country but unless you fix whats inside of you, the outside will remain unchanged. You are the digit 1 before all the zeros. You are the star of the show.

The Vedas state "What is inside is outside and what is outside is inside. He that beleives there is an inside and an outside goes from sorrow to sorrow and death to death evermore".

So my advice to most would-be migrants is to create change from within. You cannot create change on the outside unless you have handled all the stuff that you hold dearly within yourself. Come with an open mind and an open heart. Rid yourself of all self-sabotaging beliefs.

The Universe gives you not what you want but what you expect.

Steps to do before you even make a decision about migrating to Australia or Canada.

Personally

1) Ask yourself what is important about these two countries in terms of your life in the future? When you get an answer ask yourself what is important about that?

2) What lessons do you have to learn or resolve lest you take them to the new country? Do events repeat themselves in your life? is there a lesson yet to be learnt then?

If you had a virus in your hard drive, shifting the computer to a new country or buying a new monitor would not resolve the problem. Therefore, ask yourself, what bad beleifs do you carry within you about the new country you intend going to? What fears to do you have about life in a new land?

Then tell yourself most of your imagined fears never really happened. Feel your fears. Breathe into them. Feel them and replace them with the opposite virute or attribute you are in need off.

Your fears were just phantoms in the brain!

Geographically about the countries:- Consider the follwoing..they are strictly my own personal views...and are written here in a light hearted manner and not intended to offend anyone. I love Australia and would have settled there myself had I not found the love of my life here!

3) Since you are an IT professional you would do well to hang around in Canada which is next door to the US. I drive 15 mts and I am at the border with Washington, (Seattle ) and Vancouver.

85% of all Canadians live on the border with the US.

4) Canada has a more Cosmopolitan outlook than Australia.

Australia is predominantely white, having followed a "White Paper Immigration Policy' for many years in the 50's 60' and 70's hence the population is 85% Caucasian or Anglo Saxon. Nothing wrong with that. Many countries in Asia dont even allow foreign nationals to live as immigrants even when they have lived there for over 20 yrs or more!

Now compare statistics with Canada since you are an Asian and think again? Where would you find 7 temples dedicated to the Hindu Pantheon all within in a City like Vancouver? There are Mosques, Sikh Gurudhwara's, Buddhist temples and Monasteries not to name several Jewish Synagogues, Christian Churches and even Shinto and aboriginal places of sancitity!

Where would you be actively encouraged to keep your cultural heritage? Canada of course!

The highest source countries for newly arrived Immirgrants are :-

China,

India

Pakistan

Phillipines

Toronto, Canada's largest city, is just a one-day drive from more than one-half of the population of the United States.

5) Canada has the largest land mass for a country in the world. You will never run out of this scarce commodity.lol

Canada's 37 national parks include Wood Buffalo National Park - which occupies more land than either Taiwan or the Netherlands

6) 10% of the world fresh water supplies ( never be thirsty again)lol.

Although Canada has much less than 1% of the world's population, we are blessed with 9% of the world's fresh water.

The life expectancy of Canadians is 82 years, which ranks them among the top five countries of the world.

Major cities like Halifax, Québec City, Montréal, Ottawa, Winnipeg and Vancouver have only one, two or three days per year when air quality is considered poor, according to Environment Canada's Air Quality Index.

7) We have around 33 million plus people to Australia's 17 million or so.

A lot more people to talk to if you are lonley. Unless you like sheep more than you like people .....then you settle in New Zealand where there are I am told 65,000,000 sheep and 3 million people.

A culture of tolerance!
Canada's tolerant blend of cultures, in concert with unmatched natural wealth, has made for an enviable combination of opportunity, security and prosperity.

8) Remember the old saying "Love Thy Neighbour"

Compare Neighbours

Australia --> Plenty of sheep in NZ and plenty of (salt) water.

Canada ---> All the pretty looking women and the handsomest men you would ever want to meet in Hollywood! Plus Jerry Sienfield and a whole bunch of comic characters to cheer you up. You probably watch some of these wisecracks on a daily basis even now!

( Some would prefer sheep! They too are fun to be with you know.....lol)

Canadian Economy?

Along with the United States and Mexico, Canada is a member of the North American Free Trade Agreement - which makes for a single open market encompassing almost 400 million people. The benefit? Canadian trade with the United States doubled in the first five years after the free trade agreement was signed.

Continuing growth.......

Canada created 1,248,000 jobs in the 1997-99 period – more than the population of Ottawa, Ontario and Hull, Québec combined – and in 2000 the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development expects Canada to have the largest percentage growth in employment of all G-8 countries.

Export-oriented
Some 40% of Canada's economic output is exported, and the year-round port of Vancouver has a decided focus on the huge markets of Asia.

Sound government policies

Canada's 2000 federal government budget made it the only G-8 country with a balanced budget for three years running. Of the new expenditures, most target healthcare, research and industrial programs.

A KPMG study shows that Canada has the lowest business costs in strategically important industries: electronics, pharmaceuticals, telecommunication equipment, and software.

Finally, dont forget. "What is inside is also outside"

Take Care and good luck,

And I sincerely hope you pick Canada,

In CAN ADA YOU CAN!!

RUSS
www.russcanada.com/testimon.htm

PS: If you did not mind the light hearted banter please let me know. This is my second visit to this board so I am a newbie.