Reload this Page >

Canada & USA last minute Holiday visit - criminal record

Canada & USA last minute Holiday visit - criminal record

Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:22 pm
Just Joined

s_pebbles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canada & USA last minute Holiday visit - criminal record

Originally Posted by roxye3
Mate I would not worry about it. I have travelled exstensivley to the US and Canada on many occassionas. I have held 7 US work visa over 8 years and can tell you that the US and Canadian government do not know if you have a criminal record unless you are wanted for murder or brought down Bearings Bank.

IF HOWEVER:-

You wish to work in the US or Canada that is a whole different story. You will have to do background checks and what not. There you might come unstuck but the family trip to the US/ Canada to visit friends or go to Disney world, Maybe shop it up in NYC or listen to Niagara Falls thundering down, You'll be fine. As far as I know the US have no way to tap into the British Criminal system unless it is Via Interpol and then you must have done somthing MAJOR like Murder or you know, destroying a bank, losing millions of £££'s and the livelyhood of thousands. I got a sneaking suspition that you might not have done any of that. Enjoy your holiday mate.

Oh and keep in mind the US Waiver thing requires that you can show proof that you will leave the US. US Custom Officials get very nervious when they see you have a one way flight in and no way out unless you are on a work visa so make sure you have all your flight info ready when you cross the border from Canada into the US. Getting into Canada via the land border is easy. Getting back to the US is nerve racking and if you get a stroppy Customes Officer then keep cool and finish every sentence with "YES SIR/MA'AM".

have fun.

By chance if I am wrong let me know people. This is all based on my experience over 8 years.

Laters.
Roxye3 and everyone else, I really appreciate your replies and advice. I do have a return ticket and plenty of proof I am heading home so no worries there. Am certain that I am not in the FBI/CIA/Interpol most wanted list which is a plus.
Only last uncertainty is plans for crossing from Canada to US. What is everyone's experiences of land border crossings v's air border crossings. Am I better flying into the US from Canada or going overland? Do you tend to be scrutinesed more at a land crossing, any experiences of people doing this with a Visa Waiver.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

loftuslee is an unknown quantity at this point

my mate was turned away at the border going from Vancouver to seattle..he had left the states in the other direction a month before so they thought he might be wanting to "top up" his 90 day visa..he also didnt have much cash (even though he had a return flight) and was on a greyhound bus..you could say he had a bit of a john rambo vagrant look about him though he proceeded to call the immgration official a nazi ..this was back in 1996..needless to say he hasnt even tried to go back since

I think if you are arriving in US for first time in a while and have plenty of cash and a UK flight that is leaving pretty soon then you'll have no worries i should think (provided they dont find out about your small criminal record?_)
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

roxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond reputeroxye3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by s_pebbles
Roxye3 and everyone else, I really appreciate your replies and advice. I do have a return ticket and plenty of proof I am heading home so no worries there. Am certain that I am not in the FBI/CIA/Interpol most wanted list which is a plus.
Only last uncertainty is plans for crossing from Canada to US. What is everyone's experiences of land border crossings v's air border crossings. Am I better flying into the US from Canada or going overland? Do you tend to be scrutinesed more at a land crossing, any experiences of people doing this with a Visa Waiver.
Land Border crossing can be interesting to say the least. It is hard to pin point them though as it is very varred. IF all your paper work is in order you should be fine. DO NOT get lippy with US custome officials though. Oh brother no! It depends where you cross, what time. if the officials is pissed off about their persoanl life. I used the Rainbow Bridge a lot. Some times where a walk in the park and some times where scary. if you are honest with them when they ask you a question about your intent and you have all the paper work then you will be fine. Remember: "YES SIR..........YES MA'AM!" It really does go a long way. A little bum licking is the key if you really want to get through and a custome official throws a strop!

Enjoy your trip mate.
Old Feb 20th 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

s_pebbles is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by roxye3
Land Border crossing can be interesting to say the least. It is hard to pin point them though as it is very varred. IF all your paper work is in order you should be fine. DO NOT get lippy with US custome officials though. Oh brother no! It depends where you cross, what time. if the officials is pissed off about their persoanl life. I used the Rainbow Bridge a lot. Some times where a walk in the park and some times where scary. if you are honest with them when they ask you a question about your intent and you have all the paper work then you will be fine. Remember: "YES SIR..........YES MA'AM!" It really does go a long way. A little bum licking is the key if you really want to get through and a custome official throws a strop!

Enjoy your trip mate.
Again thanks everyone, I appreciate the advice. I don't have the Rambo look about me so should be fine on that front. Think I might book a one way airline ticket to cross the border, just feel like I won't get as much hassle at the airport and that would tie in with the other flights. Will be taking a few $ with me so no issue there either. Am def looking forward to the holiday. I have done a lot of travelling but its my virgin visit to Canada and whereever I have travelled, the Canadians have always been the friendliest people who just want to live life to the full and have some fun. Anyway, best of luck to everyone hoping to head to Canada on a more permanent basis.