Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada. Pros and cons

Canada. Pros and cons

Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada. Pros and cons

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Um, why would you envisage that?
Something to do with the word interrogator. We no longer use that word in our line of business as it has been described as a word that is not very nice and has negative connotations if seen to be describing the kind of work we do. Not a very friendly term that the public would like to see in any recruiting ad in describing some of the job functions we carry out. I suspect an interview room at the Vancouver International Airport looks somewhat different to a room in Guantanamo Bay or a Black Site location.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

It should be mandatory for anyone planning to move to Canada to visit here in February.

I have to do an outdoor activity in a minute and I'm not looking forward to it.

A neighbour of mine recently carked doing an outdoor activity. On his driveway.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It should be mandatory for anyone planning to move to Canada to visit here in February.

Isn't it like 2C where you are? Its only minus 34C with the wind chill where I am might have to put a light jacket on.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A visit doesn't really do it. It doesn't capture the relentlessness of it all. In November/December I'm not much bothered by:

- falling down and having to wash my coat
- driving in white out conditions at a realistic risk of crashing or getting stuck
- getting cold and wet clearing snow
- covering for people who are off work sick and/or scared to drive in
- living in the dark because it's only light in working hours
- having events, flights, and deliveries cancelled due to weather

By February 1st I'm sick of it all happening over and over again and the prospect of three more months of it is grim.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
A visit doesn't really do it. It doesn't capture the relentlessness of it all. In November/December I'm not much bothered by:

- driving in white out conditions at a realistic risk of crashing or getting stuck

By February 1st I'm sick of it all happening over and over again and the prospect of three more months of it is grim.
I guess your application for the Ontario Tourism Board was rejected
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:42 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Isn't it like 2C where you are? Its only minus 34C with the wind chill where I am might have to put a light jacket on.
You are probably looking at Ottawa. Gatineau is always about five degrees colder.

For sure, it is relatively warm. This is not good. The snow we had last night is going to melt a bit and then the temperature will drop like a stone tonight.

In short, I have to shift that crap.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You are probably looking at Ottawa. Gatineau is always about five degrees colder.

For sure, it is relatively warm. This is not good. The snow we had last night is going to melt a bit and then the temperature will drop like a stone tonight.

In short, I have to shift that crap.
Actually it was Gatineau I checked and it said 2c but there again thats the bloody internet and checking the GOC website it shows minus 2C but feels like minus 6C.
The good thing about extreme cold is that its too cold to snow so less to shovel overall however we do get some very good dumps now and then.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Curlew is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, whiteouts! Definitely THE worst thing about North American winters. I drove once - like an idiot - from Windsor to Syracuse, New York, when the conditions were appalling and I could barely see the road markings and visibility ahead was very poor. Never again. I always check Environment Canada before long work trips. Freezing rain is extremely annoying, as well.

Otherwise, I really like the snow and makes for fun outdoor activities that it are almost impossible to pursue in the UK.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:04 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Serious question. Why do you continue to live in Canada?
Old Feb 1st 2018, 9:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

IA neighbour of mine recently carked doing an outdoor activity. On his driveway.
I just learned a new word.
(that was when Souvette was attentive )
Old Feb 1st 2018, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Why do so many people die shovelling snow? - BBC News

Personally, according to that I dramatically increase my survival chances by barely being out of bed at 10am, never mind shovelling anything
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:12 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Personally, according to that I dramatically increase my survival chances by barely being out of bed at 10am, never mind shovelling anything
I find people doing it quite early here. Certainly the contractors get out early.
Franklin considers snow shovelling to be so dangerous that he advises anyone over the age of 55 not to do it.
Sound advice. Just the steps for me and a little bit to the side so when our Mr Plow comes and pushes snow up the drive, none gets pushed to the bottom of the steps.
"People at greatest risk are those who are habitually sedentary with known or suspected coronary disease, who go out once a year to clear snow," he says,
Once a year? If you get so little snow that you only need do it once a year, it probably doesn't need doing. I never once did it in the UK. It seemed more dangerous to do it not very well than to just leave it until it melted next day or, at most, the day after that.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:16 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Serious question. Why do you continue to live in Canada?
I don't believe I could fund the alimony payments if I lived elsewhere. An arrangement involving January and February in a benign climate would go a long way to making this location appealing.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 1:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Curlew
Oh, whiteouts! Definitely THE worst thing about North American winters. I drove once - like an idiot - from Windsor to Syracuse, New York, when the conditions were appalling and I could barely see the road markings and visibility ahead was very poor. Never again. I always check Environment Canada before long work trips.
I do too but I know I'm going to go anyway so it's really just to get an idea how long to allow. When I travelled weekly I'd check the flights and, if the weather was too bad to fly, I'd drive, at least to jobs up to about 800 miles away.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 3:48 pm
Slob

I do too but I know I'm going to go anyway so it's really just to get an idea how long to allow. When I travelled weekly I'd check the flights and, if the weather was too bad to fly, I'd drive, at least to jobs up to about 800 miles away.
We are the same with driving to Quebec City. This Xmas, we had planned to go up on the 23rd. We went on the 24th instead.

As it turned out, we had a simple, clear journey on a sunny day. Had we tried it the day before, it would have been about seven hours, as opposed to four and we could quite easily have ended up in a ditch or ER.

I schedule my walks to the corner store that way too. If I will want "essentials" tomorrow but the forecast is calling for freezing rain or a thaw/freeze, I go today.

I can do that walk in two minutes on a good day (each way). A bad day is about 20 minutes each way, with a strong possibility of injury.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.