Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada. Pros and cons

Canada. Pros and cons

Old Jan 31st 2018, 10:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada. Pros and cons

Originally Posted by Lla
..... We have never visited Canada, it have heard it's so beautiful ....
I find the idea that you are considering abandoning good jobs and a comfortable life for a gamble on a country you have not even visited, to be concerning.

As a bare minimum you should take some time to visit and look around. There are undoubtedly some beautiful parts of Canada, but not necessarily near where you might be able to find work, and Canada is big, really really big, and with all due respect to Canada and Canadians, much of it really isn't beautiful at all.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:46 am
Just Joined

Curlew is an unknown quantity at this point

I think salient advice - if you truly are serious - would be to visit Canada for a holiday, but not just to visit the outstandingly beautiful tourist areas (e.g., Rocky Mountains, Maritimes), to get a feel of the place in which you might live. You might want to visit the most densely populated areas, e.g., the Greater Toronto Area and the Golden Horseshoe. Although 10+ million folks live and work here, existing here is much different than in Yellowknife, Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, etc - better for some things (e.g., proximity to the US Border and a large metropolis with cultural trappings), but not for others (rents and house prices, etc).

I landed in Windsor four years ago - the very antithesis of a picturesque Canadian town - but loved every single minute I lived there. I now live in Guelph, which - whilst very pleasant, safe, fantastically situated for access to the shores of the Great Lakes, and close to the GTA - it is much more expensive (I pay in rent for a single bedroom annex apartment in Guelph, what I used to pay for a two bedroom, detached bungalow in Windsor, with a front porch and front and back yard).
Old Feb 1st 2018, 5:38 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I find the idea that you are considering abandoning good jobs and a comfortable life for a gamble on a country you have not even visited, to be concerning.

As a bare minimum you should take some time to visit and look around. There are undoubtedly some beautiful parts of Canada, but not necessarily near where you might be able to find work, and Canada is big, really really big, and with all due respect to Canada and Canadians, much of it really isn't beautiful at all.
Why? Lots of people move withoutvisiting and are perfectly happy. We had never been to Australia when we moved and have been here 12.5 years.

And you're familiar with Canada enough to say much of it is not nice? How long have you lived in Canada? And what parts have you lived in that quality you to comment that "much of it isn't beautiful"?
Old Feb 1st 2018, 7:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? Lots of people move withoutvisiting and are perfectly happy. We had never been to Australia when we moved and have been here 12.5 years.

And you're familiar with Canada enough to say much of it is not nice? How long have you lived in Canada? And what parts have you lived in that quality you to comment that "much of it isn't beautiful"?
Most babies are born in a place they've never seen before. The only difference is that they usually have parents to look after them and support them. Pulaski didn't say Canada isn't beautiful. India can also be beautiful, but I don't know if I would consider Mumbai beautiful, unless of course you like traffic, smog, crowds of people. Even in Canada not everyone can live mortgage free in a big house by the lake. There's more to consider than scenery.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lla
Hi all,
I'm new to this site, but just after some info and advice please!

My husband and I are both 40 and we have 2 girls, 10 months old and 3. Husband is a police sergeant, just passed inspectors exam and waiting for next stage, the boards, before hopefully he will be an inspector. I am a Director of Music at an independent private school, currently doing 2.5 days per week.

We are considering moving to Canada, however we feel that it is quite a risk as we are pretty well established in the U.K. We live in lovely countryside, and have good jobs.

However, we are considering moving as we would like the best for our children, and us, and wonder if we might be happier in Canada. So question time....

Lifestyle
Is it more outdoorsy than in U.K., i.e. More sun, light etc.
I've heard the seasons are much more apparent in the uk? Is this true. It feels like here we live in the dark, or grey, most of the time. I feel like we spend sooooo much time indoors, which is a shame. Is Canada more outdoorsy?

Jobs.
How likely would my husband and I be to find jobs in our respective fields? My husband also has a degree in engineering and I have a degree in music, plus my pgce for teaching.

Cost of living
Our houses affordable? I.e. Would we be able to afford a decent three bed in a good location on salaries for the above jobs?
Is cost of living relative to U.K.?

Education
What is the quality of education like in Canada? I feel as though I am lucky teaching at an independent school as state schools over here seem to have no money and very limited resources, plus huge class sizes. How do state schools compare over in Canada? In particular primary schools? I am aware there are French speaking parts of Canada, I love the idea of my children being exposed to this!

What I said the process for applying for visa etc.

Overall, could I have opinions please on life in Canada vs uk?

It is a really tough decision for us, but we are feeling very disillusioned with the way things are going over here, I know the grass isn't always greener, but I do think it's worth exploring.

We e never visited Canada, it have heard it's so beautiful and my husband is aware of some of his police colleagues who have moved over there.

I'm also aware that due to our age of 40 this would probably be our last chance to move, so we need to make sure we consider all options. It's a mammoth excision especially with 2 little ones to consider!

Thanks in advance for any advice/information!

Laura
Please, have a long hard think about why you want to do this. Question what you think you are missing in your life that you feel living another version of life on the other side of the world will really bring you. Adventure?

Lifestyle - As has been said before, if you do not embrace 'outdoor' activities in the UK, then you will be the same here. If you choose to stay indoors then you may well be the same here. At 40 yrs old are you planning on using your rare time off work and go skiing at the weekends? Depending on where you live in Canada that surprisingly may not even be as accessible as you think.
Summers weather is good though, so you will enjoy the local splash pads/parks with the kids. Again, depending on the neighbourhood you live in.
The UK has plenty of outdoor opportunities.

Jobs - Your husband has worked hard for a decent rank in the UK. If he plans on joining a dept. over here he will more than likely start from scratch. i.e. back to recruit/training academy and rank of constable. This advice is based on my experience with Halton Police in Ontario, Some other police dept in another province may well be different.

Cost of living - I can only speak of the GTA. Bluntly, I find it scandalous the prices people are now expected to pay. House prices are a joke.
Thing you take for granted in the UK can be expensive here, things that can impact the 'quality of life'. Such as gym fees, kids sports clubs, food etc

Education - Who knows. Lets be honest it all depends on the child does it not? Whether they apply themselves or not, a 'good' education is there for them in both countries.

As has been said, book a holiday / recce trip first and foremost. Visit the Rockies, do the sightseeing tour bus in Toronto, see Niagara Falls... But also go for a stroll down Cannon St in Hamilton, sit in rush hour traffic on the 401, go for a food shop.

You said It's a mammoth excision especially with 2 little ones to consider!
and we feel that it is quite a risk It is. Think long and hard.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:36 am
Just Joined

geotav is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lla
Hi all,

My husband and I are both 40 and we have 2 girls, 10 months old and 3. Husband is a police sergeant, just passed inspectors exam and waiting for next stage, the boards, before hopefully he will be an inspector. I am a Director of Music at an independent private school, currently doing 2.5 days per week.

We are considering moving to Canada, however we feel that it is quite a risk as we are pretty well established in the U.K. We live in lovely countryside, and have good jobs.

However, we are considering moving as we would like the best for our children, and us, and wonder if we might be happier in Canada. So question time....

Lifestyle
I've heard the seasons are much more apparent in the uk? Is this true. It feels like here we live in the dark, or grey, most of the time. I feel like we spend sooooo much time indoors, which is a shame. Is Canada more outdoorsy?

Jobs.
How likely would my husband and I be to find jobs in our respective fields? My husband also has a degree in engineering and I have a degree in music, plus my pgce for teaching.

Cost of living
Our houses affordable? I.e. Would we be able to afford a decent three bed in a good location on salaries for the above jobs?

Education
What is the quality of education like in Canada? I feel as though I am lucky teaching at an independent school as state schools over here seem to have no money and very limited resources, plus huge class sizes. How do state schools compare over in Canada? In particular primary schools? I am aware there are French speaking parts of Canada, I love the idea of my children being exposed to this!

It is a really tough decision for us, but we are feeling very disillusioned with the way things are going over here, I know the grass isn't always greener, but I do think it's worth exploring.

We e never visited Canada, it have heard it's so beautiful and my husband is aware of some of his police colleagues who have moved over there.

I'm also aware that due to our age of 40 this would probably be our last chance to move, so we need to make sure we consider all options. It's a mammoth excision especially with 2 little ones to consider!

Laura
Hi Laura

I think a number of your questions can be answered if you were to let us know where exactly in Canada you're thinking of moving to.

The East coast tends to be more cold during the Winter season and the West coast tends to rain a lot.

I think your husband will have no problem finding a job in Canada.

I hear that people that make the move from the UK to Canada spend a lot of money to make the move and the first job that they land isn't as well paid as their UK job but they tend to seem more happier than living in the UK. I guess it's an individual opinion.

All the best
George
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Why? Lots of people move without visiting and are perfectly happy. ....
Well not all of you.
Do you have anything useful to add, or are you just trying to pick an argument. ..... I did however notice that you didn't actually disagree with anything I said!
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The people I know who have seen most of the beautiful parts of Canada, who have most explored the country, live in Norway. They can do it because they are well paid and lots of holidays. People who live in Canada generally do not live in a beautiful part of the country and have to use the few vacation days they do have for domestic visits to their home countries.

And, yes, I know there's a chap on the BC vs. ON thread who's going to have it all, career, outdoor life, views, when he moves. It can happen.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:20 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Another point well worth considering is that if your husband wants to be in the RCMP you have to be a Citizen.
My husband was a police officer and then an interrogation officer in the UK. When we moved here, after a summer of installing swimming pools and picking up a gym bod and a tan all he could get was a commissionaires role in Security at the airport. It took another year and a half to get in the Sheriffs dept.
If he wants the police back he has to go through all the training again at our own expense, for provincial police, for RCMP we would have to move. Its just not worth it for us and besides hes a happy sheriff.

I know we all sound like debbie downers AND we live here but we just want you to consider everything first. Yes its a great adventure, yes its fab but it will be anything but that if you regret leaving the life you have now.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
My husband was a police officer and then an interrogation officer in the UK.
WTF is an interrogation officer? Will I be reading any articles about his previous career and stories of undisclosed settlements outside of court or will there be forthcoming criminal charges? Enquiring minds want to know
Old Feb 1st 2018, 12:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
WTF is an interrogation officer? Will I be reading any articles about his previous career and stories of undisclosed settlements outside of court or will there be forthcoming criminal charges? Enquiring minds want to know
Good cop or Bad cop?

Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:36 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

WTF is an interrogation officer? Will I be reading any articles about his previous career and stories of undisclosed settlements outside of court or will there be forthcoming criminal charges?Enquiring minds want to know
They interview and interrogate, complete the case paperwork and work with the courts as far as I know.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
They interview and interrogate, complete the case paperwork and work with the courts as far as I know.
I suppose these interviews were done in a room not necessarily soundproofed and with a copy of the yellow pages on hand for the subject to consult if requiring a lawyer even though there was no telephone in the room. Got it.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 3:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lla
Hi all,

Lifestyle

Jobs.

Cost of living

Education

Laura

Hi there,

So before I say anything more....I am not going to discourage you from following a dream you have, there are many cynical and negative posters on here, however some do raise very good points, they just lack the bedside manner.

Before you think about this anymore....as some other posters have said, I really think you should take at least a couple of holidays in Canada, try make them at least two week visits, by all means do some touristy stuff, but also spend some time in really non touristy areas....the location where you feel you will be able to obtain employment in your respective fields, maybe leave the kids at home with relatives on the first visit and stay in an air bnb (I've have never used air bnb but have heard in some cases you do share amenities with the owners) in or near to this location with Canadian family, it may give you the closest feel to living here.

If you have a location in mind, plan at least one visit in the middle of winter, summers are beautiful, (in my area of Canada (southern Ontario) but winter can be very harsh, (depending on location) many Canadians despise winter! Personally I don't think it has to be that way, if you know what you are letting yourself in for. I have been here almost 9 years, and I don't mind the winter....except for the windchill....that cuts me in half!

I think if you have a dream to do something and want it enough you will overcome any obstacles, but you must have an idea of what these obstacles are, so you at least have an idea of how to deal with them. After a couple of visits, you still like the idea....then start seriously looking into it, there is a lot to consider, but its not impossible if your really want it, but it must be something you really want. Good luck!

Paul.

Last edited by Paul_Shepherd; Feb 1st 2018 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2018, 4:50 pm
Happy

I suppose these interviews were done in a room not necessarily soundproofed and with a copy of the yellow pages on hand for the subject to consult if requiring a lawyer even though there was no telephone in the room. Got it.
Um, why would you envisage that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.