Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or Oz?....

Canada or Oz?....

Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:37 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Canada or Oz?....

Originally Posted by Pammy
Canada, all my relatives from Oz are back, work, Ozzies, daughter raped in broad daylight waiting for school bus, insects, loads of poisonous stuff, higher crimes, so they say, I have not checked figures, will leave that boring stuff to others, I just say what I am told from people who lived there, they were in Perth by the way!
All your relatives from OZ are probably back becasue they went to Perth, which is basically a small mining city in the middle of nowhere, If they moved to one the eastern states where most of the population of OZ is it might have been different, Crime is in fact lower in OZ then the UK, regarding insects and poisoness stuff your 1,000 times more likely to be killed in a car accident.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 8:20 am
Done!

engineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to beholdengineer80 is a splendid one to behold

For us it's always been Canada, mainly because it is closer to the UK for visiting family and Italy since my hubbie also has family there too. Having said that the vast majority of my friends have either visited or lived/worked in Australia and they loved it. It really does come down to personal preference or like the others have said, which one is easier for you to be able to obtain a visa for?
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjjannet5
If Australia and Canada both are similar then why dont they have visa free arrangements like EU/UK or Canada/US or AU/NZ?Canadian PR on Australian passport takes 4-6 years to come through.
Because they are totally different countries on opposite sides of the world Each country has it's own migration policy and they don't want just anyone moving in.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:39 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jjjannet5
If Australia and Canada both are similar ....
Ottawa in Canada and Redlands in QLD, Australia have something in common...
  • Ottawa, record highest summer temp of 37.8°C
  • Redlands QLD, record highest summer temp of 38.2°C

Not much difference between the two, until you get to winter

http://www.brisbanebayside.com/maxim...-redland-city/

Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Budgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really niceBudgie1 is just really nice

I'm an Australian Living in Canada - if you are interested in my view, track down my November 19 2009 post I made in a recent thread on this same topic.

Most of that thread quickly degenerated into nonsense but I did my best to give an honest, level-headed "compare and contrast" type answer comparing the two countries.

Last edited by Budgie1; Mar 4th 2010 at 10:54 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:57 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

i always thought i would never go to australia cos i dont do tiny spids that can kill (yes that is the only reason i am a major arachnophobic daft i know) now ive jus found out that canada has black widows!!!!!!!!! didnt know that!!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:20 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Hi all,

Nice and simply, here's the dilemma...

Should my wife and I look to emigrate to Australia.. or Canada?

Does anyone on here have any 1st hand exprience's / preferences / advice to give us?

My wife is nurse, I am a firefighter in UK.
So would be looking at these type of careers in our 'chosen' country...

Please Help!
plus both your occupations are on the new SOL list from Australia;
http://www.skillsaustralia.gov.au/PD...F_strategy.pdf
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:28 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
ive jus found out that canada has black widows!!!!!!!!! didnt know that!!!!!
Indeed it has - like this one, found in Pinery Provincial Park :-

Old Mar 7th 2010, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

I hope this helps.

I applied for a job in Medicine Hat around 6 years ago - didn't go ahead because it was in defence and I was not Canadian. Cut a long story short, I was offered an job in Adelaide and arrived here in December 2005. Adelaide has been very kind to us. I love the people, the open space and the fact that I can go out at night alone in the city and not worry that I will get mugged! Adelaide is easy to get around in, and it is just sooo easy to access concerts, beaches and the city. In part it is due to the size of Adelaide, which means that I can commute to work in my car from one side of the city to the other in 30 minutes.

As for spiders - I kill an average of 6 redbacks a year, but provided you use common sense they NEVER surprise you. They are shy and hide under bricks, and only in very predictable places where they can get a bit of shelter. They don't come chasing you round the house and I have only ever seen one indoors. Huntsmen are quite sweet, though I do usually put them out with a small bin (don't fit in a glass). Amazingly they just aren't scary - can't explain why thought I would die when I saw one. In fact when we saw our first huntsman we turned to each other and said " is that it??"".

What REALLY gets to you is the flaming mozzies. I hate mosquitoes now, they carry Ross River virus and whilst rare, people do catch it. Did you know that mozzies kill more people than any other animal? So unless you are happy to spend a year or two getting used to living with perpetual bites, Oz isn't for you. This wouldn't make me want to move, but is one of the only downsides of life here.

You don't have to check the loo seat, your shoes your bed or anything else for that matter. They just are not an issue in everyday life. Snakes - had one in my garage when I moved into my house. Poor thing took one look at me and ran a mile. I called in the local snake guy and $135 later he was safely on his way back to somewhere more appropriate. Again, they do more than occasionally bite dogs and cats that try to play with them, but it is easy to avoid them by not leaving things around they can live under.

Would rather take my chance with a redback (antidote within 24 hours and you'll be 'right) than a bear or cougar.

Nevertheless we are thinking of trying Canada in a few years time!! Why???? Because as everyone told us when we moved Oz is a Bl**dy long way from England. I have kids and grandkids in the UK who I thought would move out here. But it is just too expensive to visit each other. Further I work in the Environmental field and Oz is just not on the same plane as Canada in the field. Further my daughter is going into the music industry and the proximity of Europe and the States make Canada a much better proposition for her intended career.

In terms of climate, winter here is the hardest part of the year, not summer. You need heating in Adelaide for 4 months a year, but most houses do not have heating throughout and several Canadians I have spoken to have suffered with winter here because we are just not geared up for it. Don't have to dig your car out of the snow, break your neck on ice etc..

So it's horses for courses I guess... And you won't know til you try. If it doesn't work in one place you can always spend some time in the other!

Good luck

Seabird