Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada or Oz?....

Canada or Oz?....

Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Canada or Oz?....

Hi all,

Nice and simply, here's the dilemma...

Should my wife and I look to emigrate to Australia.. or Canada?

Does anyone on here have any 1st hand exprience's / preferences / advice to give us?

My wife is nurse, I am a firefighter in UK.
So would be looking at these type of careers in our 'chosen' country...

Please Help!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada or Oz?....

Originally Posted by alcat2010
Hi all,

Does anyone on here have any 1st hand exprience's / preferences / advice to give us?

Please Help!
Hi there and welcome to the forum.

First thing to do is check that you would get a visa for Canada - your wife's occupation is on 'the list' of occupations in demand, but you'll need to check her points score as well.

Next thing to do is do a search of the forums for 'firefighter' and then read previous threads about your occupation in Canada as you may not like what you hear.

Third thing is to do another search, this time for other threads about Canada v Oz, of which there have been many.

And lastly, read this Wiki article which covers this very subject...........http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Canada_versus_Australia

Good luck deciding.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's more fires in Oz!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Please Help!
Follow the yellow brick road...
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all,

Please Help!
Canada, all my relatives from Oz are back, work, Ozzies, daughter raped in broad daylight waiting for school bus, insects, loads of poisonous stuff, higher crimes, so they say, I have not checked figures, will leave that boring stuff to others, I just say what I am told from people who lived there, they were in Perth by the way!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 3:52 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I'd look into which country you can get into first, and how easy it is. If you really don't care which one you go to ( ) then that should help you decide.

I have lived in both. I prefer Canada, well, BC, for lots of reasons. One of the main ones is that I don't like the heat - I like temperate climates. You may feel differently. I also like the culture here better...that's just me though. And it's relatively less isolated than Australia. Australia has good points they just weren't things that were important to me. It's all subjective.

I think the Wiki's good. You should read that. I agree with it, mostly.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Feb 25th 2010 at 3:58 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Firefighting can be very tough to break into for an outsider. There's a lot of competition for a limited number of jobs.

Some tips from the Government of Ontario here.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 4:50 pm
Almost there...

Pincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud ofPincher has much to be proud of

My wife's an Ozzie and it would be easier for us to go there than Canada.
However, having spent time in both, and done loads of research into our choices, it is Canada for me. Canada just seems 'right' if that makes any sense. Don't get me wrong, we loved Oz, great place, lovely people, but in my heart it has always been Canada.
Good luck which ever way you choose.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:05 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Please Help!
Have you considered New Zealand or the US?
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Shelley_nev is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am in a similar situation to you but...

I went to oz in 2008 and travelled the east coast Melbourne - Cairns. I have one regret getting on to the plane home back to the U.K! I loved everything about oz, the people, history and culture.

Now i have my visa for Canada and will either be emigrating this year or next (depending on my final year at college).

When i go to canada i will do everything to settle and make a new life, but if it isn't for me i will be heading for oz! I know one thing for sure, the U.K does not come into my future plans.

Good Luck they are both fantastic places
Old Feb 25th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Have you considered New Zealand or the US?
Absent further facts, the US will be close to impossible.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 11:43 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Please Help!
New Zealand.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 4:58 am
Just Joined

orfila is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would have thought that Oz and Canada offer very different life style opportunities that would influence you the most.

If work is your main drive then check your main hurdles there. If your wife is a nurse will she require any further examinations to be registered in the province that you are looking to move to in Canada (as I don't think there is a national registration body)? and the same for Oz. For firefighting again check your options. If a change in career is something you have in mind consider looking for somewhere that has a dire need for your services, get in on an 'accelerated immigration process' (by that I mean get your potential employers to ease your way.. they will if they need you) then you can get PR and change career.

If lifestyle is your main objective then look at the climate, geography, type of outdoor/indoor activities love and whether you like the type of activities you can do there. Also look at the type of housing and cultural style...also consider friends and relatives and whether you have any in either country .... if that is a factor...Canada is generally a wintery cold place - if you're looking for more temperate climate like the UK then head for BC.... Oz.. then maybe you're the sort of person who likes summer more ...'cos you ain't gonna get much snow!

Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:04 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I think there's more fires in Oz!
Don't forget all those spiders, snakes and sharks. Are they more deadly than bears and killer whales? I think this is worth debating.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I just cant believe nobody has asked this question before...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.