Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Nil Points

Wikiposts

Canada Nil Points

Old Aug 16th 2008, 3:03 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Nil Points

Originally Posted by TheTrooper
BASEBALL SHOULD NOT BE AN OLYMPIC SPORT, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.
It is not obvious to me. Why?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:16 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
We're not Canadians (except in law) and don't really know any Canadians so it's not something we'd notice.
I find that a bit sad to be honest. One of the biggest criticisms levelled at immigrants in this country (UK) is that they dont integrate, they keep to themselves etc.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:19 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jericho
I find that a bit sad to be honest. One of the biggest criticisms levelled at immigrants in this country (UK) is that they dont integrate, they keep to themselves etc.
That would be dbd33's opinion not everybody's.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:32 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Immigrants aren't expected to integrate in Canada.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by bazzz
Doesn't mean that lots don't.

By the way you've not offended me yet and I'm feeling left out.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:42 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not about being expected to integrate.
You're in a new country. Presumably dont know anyone.
You should want to integrate. If not, why the hell move in the first place?
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:46 am

It's not about being expected to integrate.
You're in a new country. Presumably dont know anyone.
You should want to integrate. If not, why the hell move in the first place?
For the improved standard of living and because there's a large community of people from your country already living there? It's a lot easier to make friends with people who share your language and culture.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Doesn't mean that lots don't.

By the way you've not offended me yet and I'm feeling left out.
I was assuming that the initial post meant "They don't integrate into white anglo-saxon Canada". Lots of immigrants integrate into Chinese-Canadian culture.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:36 am

Lots of immigrants integrate into Chinese-Canadian culture.
Even the Ukranians, Germans, Italians, Sudanese, Vietnamese, etc?

My I am surprised.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 5:50 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I find that a bit sad to be honest.
Me to, but maybe for a slightly different reason.

I tend to think of myself as a Canadian who happens to have been born and brought up in Britain. I try to focus on the good things of living here (and there are lots) and minimize and work around the things that are less than good.

In the year or so I have been posting on this site I have seen many posts by people who seem to define themselves as Brits who happen to live in Canada. They focus on the aspects of Canadian life they consider inferior to the British way of life. To me, that is not a good life for someone here for the long haul (whether through choice or not).

What I find sad is that the Britain these posters compare to Canada doesn't exist anymore. It may be better, or it may be worse, but Britain has moved on.

Anyway, back on topic, Canada has opened the floodgates for Olympic medals. Who know, we might get 4 or 5 now.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:31 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Me to, but maybe for a slightly different reason.

I tend to think of myself as a Canadian who happens to have been born and brought up in Britain. I try to focus on the good things of living here (and there are lots) and minimize and work around the things that are less than good.

In the year or so I have been posting on this site I have seen many posts by people who seem to define themselves as Brits who happen to live in Canada. They focus on the aspects of Canadian life they consider inferior to the British way of life. To me, that is not a good life for someone here for the long haul (whether through choice or not).

What I find sad is that the Britain these posters compare to Canada doesn't exist anymore. It may be better, or it may be worse, but Britain has moved on.

Anyway, back on topic, Canada has opened the floodgates for Olympic medals. Who know, we might get 4 or 5 now.

When Canada beat the yanks in the Ice Hockey in 02 that was one of my most enjoyable sporting moments. Mind you, i was sitting on a deck over the pacific ocean, very stoned and in Tofino
Old Aug 16th 2008, 6:36 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Londonuck
When Canada beat the yanks in the Ice Hockey in 02 that was one of my most enjoyable sporting moments. Mind you, i was sitting on a deck over the pacific ocean, very stoned and in Tofino
I was in a bar in Whistler. Much beer fueled fun and frolicking followed.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 7:03 am
NEMESIS

dazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond reputedazzlerdaz has a reputation beyond repute

I integrated with my wife 8 years ago and she`s Canadian ! Does that mean when we move over i dont have to speak to her anymore
Old Aug 16th 2008, 9:37 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

In Toronto there is no one to integrate with. The best thing, and perhaps the worst thing, about the place is that everyone is from another country (statistically only Miami has more foreign born people in NA). The unhyphenated Canadians are a peculiar ethnic minority who are concentrated in specific occupations (police, fire, governing) who mingle with difficulty with the rest of the population. I don't like them because they seem embittered and obsessed with ice hockey. However I don't think I'm attached to an old country that has gone, though that's common among people here, the Swiss for example send their children home for national service, it's just that Canada to me is like an oil camp in Saudi, interesting only for the backgrounds of people who arrived here by chance.
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Medals, Medals everywhere. I really enjoyed being glued to the tv set burning off absolutely no calories watching the brits win 10 medals. I had a feeling they'd do well. Cmon the sailors, rowers and cyclists. You're making me feel ultra lazy but its great to watch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.