Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada Nil Points

Wikiposts

Canada Nil Points

Old Aug 15th 2008, 10:11 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Nil Points

Click on the 'Latest Programme' audio link (top right on the page, next to Andy Murray pic) for an interesting analysis regarding British sport success (or lack of it).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...is/7560358.stm
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:04 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
The social dynamic here is one of appreciation for participation and effort, rather than winning being the be-all and end-all approach that our closest neighbour's support. It visibly carries over into the way talented kids are nurtured through the sports system here. It's a very difficult thing to change, as it requires quite a change in the population's attitude as to why sport is important.

Eureka! - You've knocked it on the head and just explained to me why the Canucks in my Volleyball team are a bunch of lackadaisical twats! It's in their mindset to lose every single point; clap mindlessly at a piss-poor attempt; and have the audacity to shake each others hands after losing 25-2 and say "Good game." WTF???

Mind you, it's in my mindset to curse at every one of them loudly and mime a deadly serious decapitation motion which they smile inanely at.

Ain't cultural differences fun.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:07 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Madmac
Eureka! - You've knocked it on the head and just explained to me why the Canucks in my Volleyball team are a bunch of lackadaisical twats! It's in their mindset to lose every single point; clap mindlessly at a piss-poor attempt; and have the audacity to shake each others hands after losing 25-2 and say "Good game." WTF???

Mind you, it's in my mindset to curse at every one of them loudly and mime a deadly serious decapitation motion which they smile inanely at.

Ain't cultural differences fun.
I think you've missed the point. Volleyball is just a sanctioned form of ogling. Come on, how can you take seriously any sport where the official women's uniform is a bikini?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:08 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you've attended many large sporting events here (like an NHL game, for instance), but my observation is that crowds lack passion and it's more about meeting a buddy, having a beer and a hot dog rather than being vociferous in support of your team. It always seems strangely subdued and a little bit genteel.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:46 am
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madmac
Eureka! - You've knocked it on the head and just explained to me why the Canucks in my Volleyball team are a bunch of lackadaisical twats! It's in their mindset to lose every single point; clap mindlessly at a piss-poor attempt; and have the audacity to shake each others hands after losing 25-2 and say "Good game."
The Canadians I've discussed the Olympics with think it is more important to have a healthy general population by encouraging participation in sport for everybody than for a few superstars to win a few medals. I can see their point. Vancouver is crawling with weekend triathletes, runners, bikers, hikers, kayakers, skiers, snowboarders etc and I certainly seem to see fewer lardy people here around town than in other cities.

Perhaps in Australia the population feels it is more important to be seen to be successful in sports on the international stage?

It's great to see Team GB members doing well after implementing training improvements and financial support for sportspeople, but why should we care how we compare to other countries in terms of medal tallies?

Last edited by acer rose; Aug 15th 2008 at 11:49 am.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:07 pm
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by acer rose
Perhaps in Australia the population feels it is more important to be seen to be successful in sports on the international stage?
It's their inferiority complex.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:21 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
I think you've missed the point. Volleyball is just a sanctioned form of ogling. Come on, how can you take seriously any sport where the official women's uniform is a bikini?
Who said I'm being serious?

<Twitches Groucho moustache and duck walks off stage>
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:46 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you've attended many large sporting events here (like an NHL game, for instance), but my observation is that crowds lack passion and it's more about meeting a buddy, having a beer and a hot dog rather than being vociferous in support of your team. It always seems strangely subdued and a little bit genteel.
You must have been in the expensive seats. Most of the times I have seen the Canucks (at least, when they were good) I have been in the nose bleeds and the passion from the fans is not that different from the terraces in a Championship ground in England.

The one thing I do miss is the singing. I guess that is because most of the singing at a football (soccer) match is while the ball is being kicked around aimlessly in midfield. As soon as the team get onto the attack the singing breaks down into a vociferous roar. In hockey the puck rarely spends more than a few seconds in centre ice so there is no time to get much of a song going.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As for the medal count, does anyone really care that much? It's the summer games. Canadians spend the summer camping by a lake and drinking beer. If there were a medal for that we'd be nailed on certs.

If we don't do well in 2010 there will be hell to pay.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 12:50 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you never attended a Flames game?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

At a Leafs game there is no interest in ice hockey whatsoever, it's just about turning up so you can show you, or your company, inherited seats. At the Habs it's another story; that's an involved crowd.

Too soon though to write off Canada at the Olympics, Eric Lamaze, the only competitor on more drugs than his horse, is in with a chance.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

TheTrooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Davey Dan Oli
Just thought I would in a hot potato regarding Canada's dismal performance at the Summer Olympics so far since no one seems to be talking about it on the forums (unless I am blind).

I think this cartoon in the Sun today says it all

http://www.winnipegsun.com/Comment/C...8/15/dewar.jpg
As far as I can see, this years olympics has taken place in a pool with Michael Phelps, everything else is of little or no importance to the broadcasters with the exceptioin of the occasional Canadian athelete who has come 16th in their heat.

CLAY PIDGEON SHOOTING IS NOT A SPORTING ENDEAVOUR - AND IT'S NOT ENTERTAINING TO WATCH EITHER.

BASEBALL SHOULD NOT BE AN OLYMPIC SPORT, FOR OBVIOUS REASONS.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:33 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like Canada has a chance in the rowing

http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/
Old Aug 15th 2008, 11:31 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

they got a few bronzes today
Old Aug 16th 2008, 2:32 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sheadboy
they got a few bronzes today

Actually Canada now has a full set, one of each Gold, Silver and a Bronze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.