Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

Old Dec 26th 2008, 4:05 pm
Asia blue girl!!

jackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to alljackiewalters is a name known to all
Default Re: Is Canada Mutli -cultural???

COLOURED

When I born, I Black,
When I grow up, I Black,
When I go in Sun, I Black,
When I scared, I Black,
When I sick, I Black,
And when I die, I still black,

And you White fella,

When you born, you Pink,
When you grow up, you White,
When you go in Sun, you Red,
When you cold, you Blue,
When you scared, you Yellow,
When you sick, you Green,
And when you die, you Gray,
And you calling me Colored ?

Ever read this poem before, and with this I rest my case?? hopefully this will put this discussion to bed once and for all!! Sorry I dont know who wrote this poem but its apt dont you think!!
Old Dec 26th 2008, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud ofTracie107 has much to be proud of

Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Caimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant futureCaimas has a brilliant future

Hi Jackie

How can anyone born of 'non-colour' argue with that!

How I would like to meet you!!!!

I wish you and your family (of whatever hue) the very best of luck: wherever you live!

Jo-Anne
Old Dec 26th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackiewalters
COLOURED

Ever read this poem before, and with this I rest my case?? hopefully this will put this discussion to bed once and for all!! Sorry I dont know who wrote this poem but its apt dont you think!!
Actually it is very true, however I don't think the topic will ever be laid to rest.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 4:35 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

COLOURED

When I born, I Black,
When I grow up, I Black,
When I scared, I Black,
When I sick, I Black,

And you White fella,

When you born, you Pink,
When you cold, you Blue,

I sent you a PM ......
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:08 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think failing to use the expression of the month to describe people is racism. Hating people because they look Chinese is racism, calling them "Chinese" when you mean Chinese/Korean/Japanese/Asian-but-not-Indian-looking is, at worst, laziness.
Try taking this test http://asianiq.com/ if you think you can tell the difference between all the people that are collectively known as "Asian" here in Calgary. I'm embarassed to admit I only got 6/20 right!

They tend to lump all the folks from India/Pakistan etc as "East Indian".

Then there are the aboriginals, First Nation and Metis peoples.

I guess most others would be known as Black, White or Hispanic .... tho I do believe "red-neck" is also a race here.

If you drive through the NE you will see many many more people with diverse ethnicities. I don't know if they "choose" to live all together. They're certainly not "put" there, but housing is cheaper I guess .... Downtown, I agree, dark-skinned people are a minority, but a visible one. Travelling on the C-train, I reckon about half the populous are "Asian".

I love the mix we have here .... my kids think it's "cool" to have friends that talk so many different languages (I wonder how they would do on the test .....)
Old Dec 27th 2008, 5:17 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

COLOURED

When I born, I Black,
When I grow up, I Black,
When I scared, I Black,
When I sick, I Black,

And you White fella,

When you born, you Pink,
When you cold, you Blue,

LOL

I dread filling out forms for my children where you have to tick a box relating to their ethnicity.

They are not black, not white, not indian, not chinese the only other option is other
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Danny B
LOL

I dread filling out forms for my children where you have to tick a box relating to their ethnicity.

They are not black, not white, not indian, not chinese the only other option is other
I used to know someone who had to put herself down as other as there wasnt a box for white african.
Old Dec 27th 2008, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Try taking this test http://asianiq.com/ if you think you can tell the difference between all the people that are collectively known as "Asian" here in Calgary. I'm embarassed to admit I only got 6/20 right!

They tend to lump all the folks from India/Pakistan etc as "East Indian".

Then there are the aboriginals, First Nation and Metis peoples.

I guess most others would be known as Black, White or Hispanic .... tho I do believe "red-neck" is also a race here.

If you drive through the NE you will see many many more people with diverse ethnicities. I don't know if they "choose" to live all together. They're certainly not "put" there, but housing is cheaper I guess .... Downtown, I agree, dark-skinned people are a minority, but a visible one. Travelling on the C-train, I reckon about half the populous are "Asian".

I love the mix we have here .... my kids think it's "cool" to have friends that talk so many different languages (I wonder how they would do on the test .....)

Try also www.alllooksame.com