Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada for me?

Canada for me?

Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada for me?

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Alas but I can't agree with you on your first point
Fluency, or near fluency, in French IS required for most elements of the Quebec job market, except a few positions in international corporations based in Montreal.

But the Quebec immigration authorities do not demand this as a prerequisite for immigration to Quebec. They will accept a lower level of competency.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:18 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Thank God these cases are rarer and rarer.

There are sometimes difficulties in learning another language and it usually takes great effort, persistence and willingness. Much simpler to be taught as a young child. (By age 14 I spoke four language fluently).

I find it difficult to grasp the mindset of those who blatantly refuse to learn another language and, in consequence, suffer. Would anyone from the UK move to France and expect to get by in English? The same goes for Quebec.
Bloody hell Mike, aren't you talented (showoff!)
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
Bloody hell Mike, aren't you talented (showoff!)
Actually if the truth be told it was all beyond my control. With a live-in German Grannie who spoke not a word of English, then being put in boarding schools in Lausanne and Paris, and later on four years in Bihar state (India), it was simply natural to pick up 4 languages.

But it isn't that simple to do for an adult.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:37 am
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Fluency, or near fluency, in French IS required for most elements of the Quebec job market, except a few positions in international corporations based in Montreal.

But the Quebec immigration authorities do not demand this as a prerequisite for immigration to Quebec. They will accept a lower level of competency.
And that is pity for new immigrants unless they are prepared to put in the effort to pick up the lingo and speak it like a native.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:39 am
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if the truth be told it was all beyond my control. With a live-in German Grannie who spoke not a word of English, then being put in boarding schools in Lausanne and Paris, and later on four years in Bihar state (India), it was simply natural to pick up 4 languages.

But it isn't that simple to do for an adult.
Blah blah blah... your still a showoff *lol*

Seriously though, appreciate what your saying, was a hell of alot easier to me to get my head around 2 languages (french & english) when I was a kid then it is now.

People have told me words in other languages but the only things I seem to retain in memory as an adult are the cuss words in foreign languages.. dunno why
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:37 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were you I'd think about trying a one year working holiday visa (as you're under 35 you can get one through BUNAC), this will let you experience living in Canada before fully committing.

It might be an idea to apply for PR straight away though, as you're looking at a 4-5 yr wait...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:43 am
Just Joined

YorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the roughYorkshireGuy is a jewel in the rough

Morning

Thanks for all your input and comments.

Thats interesting RobinHood, I was hoping that experience would count. Whilst I say I dont have great qualifications, what I meant was I dont think I have experience that would be recognised in Canada. I have 8 GCSE's and a National Diploma in computer studies (2 year further education course post secondry school). I know that in the UK my working experience would count for more.

Daedra, many thanks for your comments, this is one of the reasons I have posted on the boards. I do realise I have a pretty comfortable life here. But I feel like I am just existing rather than living. I know I would be putting an awful lot on the line by doing this and have a lot to lose. But I think I would rather regret doing something than regret not doing something, if that makes sense. I will think continue to think hard about it though, so thank you for your thoughts Perhaps the BUNAC scheme would work, it may be a way for me to experience living and working in Canada without giving up everything in the UK (other than my job).

I plan to visit both Canada and Australia (I have relatives down under). Any suggestions on the best time of the year to visit Canada?

Montreal..... ok I think perhaps I have made a mistake in 'choosing' this destination. I didnt realise that speaking French to a compentent level would be such a requirement. I only know a little French if I am honest, and whilst I would make every effort to learn the language, I wouldnt really want my lack of skill in this area to hold be back in the job market.

So any suggestions on other destinations would be great??

RobinHoods suggestion New Brunswick sounds interesting, especially if there is work to be had there perhaps.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments, its been a huge help already.

Eamonn
Old Dec 18th 2006, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YorkshireGuy
Morning
Thats interesting RobinHood, I was hoping that experience would count. Whilst I say I dont have great qualifications, what I meant was I dont think I have experience that would be recognised in Canada. I have 8 GCSE's and a National Diploma in computer studies (2 year further education course post secondry school). I know that in the UK my working experience would count for more.
You have to distinguish between what Canadian immigrant value (qualifications and experience) and what Canadian employers value (some will value foreign qualifications and experience, many won't). You need to get over the first before you can address the morale-sapping aspects of the second.

Daedra, many thanks for your comments, this is one of the reasons I have posted on the boards. I do realise I have a pretty comfortable life here. But I feel like I am just existing rather than living. I know I would be putting an awful lot on the line by doing this and have a lot to lose. But I think I would rather regret doing something than regret not doing something, if that makes sense.
Makes perfect sense and chimes with the rest of us. You shouldn't do yourself down about qualifications, either: since you can spell "lose" correctly you're already in the top 5% of the population.

I plan to visit both Canada and Australia (I have relatives down under). Any suggestions on the best time of the year to visit Canada?
If you want a holiday, summer. If you want to see what it will be like to live in Canada, winter.

So any suggestions on other destinations would be great??
This is very premature. You need to experience Canada. It's a maddening place every bit as much as being a delightful place, and you need to see it as a whole before you choose where to go. BUNAC is a great way to do this with minimal risk: try living there, see if you like it (lots of people do, lots of people don't). If you get a good relationship with an employer then you can probably be fast-tracked back as a Skilled Worker.

K.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

monique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud ofmonique has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by YorkshireGuy
Morning

So any suggestions on other destinations would be great?? Eamonn
About visiting Canada, what do you prefer, winter or summer??? If summer, I would suggest May or June, unless you like hot and crowded, then July and August. If winter, I would say February, if in between, I would pick October.

The jobs right now are definitely in Calgary, Alberta. Toronto and Vancouver are other popular spots.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by monique
About visiting Canada, what do you prefer, winter or summer??? If summer, I would suggest May or June, unless you like hot and crowded, then July and August. If winter, I would say February, if in between, I would pick October.

Depends what you call crowded. We went to B.C in early August for 17 days and there were no real problems with crowds at all, in fact the driving was a piece of cake although we did book all accomodation in advance to be safe.

Try driving down to the west country on the A 30 in the summer holidays, that's crowded.