Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada health system

Canada health system

Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:28 am
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada health system

Haven't had to take out any insurance,my union covers my entire family,they even pay the majority of the cost for laser eye surgery,which I may look into shortly.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shunter1977
As has been said in Alberta you will be covered by Alberta health care from the minute you land
Nope, from the moment you become resident and register.
http://www.health.alberta.ca/AHCIP/r...for-AHCIP.html

ABC offers various add-on plans, but if your employer has a group plan you should check to see what that covers first. The most important ABC plan is the non-group coverage for prescriptions.

The one thing that isn't covered by AHCIP that usually surprises people is the ambulance service, so it is important to have something more than just AHCIP.

The Canada Health Act lists the basics of what provinces must cover, each provincial plan is different.

I think what most Europeans and Americans are surprised by is that there is no private option per se, the covered services are prescribed under the Health Act so in effect they are nationalized. Theoretically in Alberta you could be in private practice but no-one does because you cannot be paid by AHS for anything if you do. It's not like the UK where you can do both. It's one or the other.

Only Newfoundland & Labrador has a system like that, but that's because they have to ship people off to other provinces for serious stuff.

Basically if you want to "go private" you have to leave the country for any covered service.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:29 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scootb
Haven't had to take out any insurance,my union covers my entire family,they even pay the majority of the cost for laser eye surgery,which I may look into shortly.
I suspect you're buying the insurance via union dues. Nothing is free.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
The one thing that isn't covered by AHCIP that usually surprises people is the ambulance service, so it is important to have something more than just AHCIP.
It is not always covered in the UK either! (This is a Scottish document, but the same applies in England and Wales).

http://www.sehd.scot.nhs.uk/mels/HDL2007_05.pdf
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I think what most Europeans and Americans are surprised by is that there is no private option per se, the covered services are prescribed under the Health Act so in effect they are nationalized. Theoretically in Alberta you could be in private practice but no-one does because you cannot be paid by AHS for anything if you do. It's not like the UK where you can do both. It's one or the other.
That is very different to how the system operates in BC. Here, outside of the main hospitals (and often in them) virtually all medical services are private. The essential difference to all out private medicine is that a medical practitioner cannot charge a member of the medical services plan (MSP) - in theory all residents of BC - for a service covered by medicare. They can bill the medical services plan which will pay at set rates, or they can bill the RCMP, or they can bill WCB if the treatment is the result of a workplace illness or injury. There may be others.

If you want to pay for treatment covered by MSP, to queue jump, you have to go to the US
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:22 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That is very different to how the system operates in BC. Here, outside of the main hospitals (and often in them) virtually all medical services are private. The essential difference to all out private medicine is that a medical practitioner cannot charge a member of the medical services plan (MSP) - in theory all residents of BC - for a service covered by medicare. They can bill the medical services plan which will pay at set rates, or they can bill the RCMP, or they can bill WCB if the treatment is the result of a workplace illness or injury. There may be others.

If you want to pay for treatment covered by MSP, to queue jump, you have to go to the US

Actually you can "opt out" of the BC medical plan and be responsible for all your own bills. You have to Opt out each year. Why anyone would do it is beyond me, unless they have an aversion to "socialized medicine"
Old Aug 14th 2013, 11:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I suspect you're buying the insurance via union dues. Nothing is free.
My employer covers our Pacific Blue Cross health insurance, we do not have anything deducted from our paychecks for it. Is it common for employers to make a deduction per pay period as a contribution towards the cost of the insurance?

We have good coverage too, 100% for prescription drugs, basic dental work and paramedical services, amongst other things. I count myself lucky.