Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canada health system

Canada health system

Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canada health system

Apologies if this has been asked a million times before but I cannot get my head around the Canadian health system and what level of cover it offers

I am Edmonton bound very soon and I have been advised by my employer that until I have worked for 350 hours my companies health benefits package will not kick in and as such it would be prudent to have healthcare insurance until this happens

So after 350 hours when my healthcare kicks in it will it be NHS (ie all encompassing) level cover? I`m pretty sure that the company benefits only cover me so where does this leave my wife who (initially at least) wont be working (and as such cant get over the 350 hour threshold)?

I need to get whatever I need soon but it would help if I had some grasp of how the system works

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada health system

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Apologies if this has been asked a million times before but I cannot get my head around the Canadian health system and what level of cover it offers

I am Edmonton bound very soon and I have been advised by my employer that until I have worked for 350 hours my companies health benefits package will not kick in and as such it would be prudent to have healthcare insurance until this happens

So after 350 hours when my healthcare kicks in it will it be NHS (ie all encompassing) level cover? I`m pretty sure that the company benefits only cover me so where does this leave my wife who (initially at least) wont be working (and as such cant get over the 350 hour threshold)?

I need to get whatever I need soon but it would help if I had some grasp of how the system works

Thanks in advance
In Alberta, you are covered for public health care on the day you arrive (or least from the time you register for it). However, it doesn't seem to be so all-encompassing as the NHS in Britain e.g. it does not cover prescription medicines. Others will no doubt be along shortly, to give you more information. Your health benefits package covers things like eye exams, dental and things that the public system doesn't cover. Seems a bit shitty, though, that you wont be covered until 350 hours have been worked. Both my wife and I have been covered from day one at our employers (oil and gas, local education board and the Calgary Stampede).
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no Canada health system. There are provincial systems that conform to federally set standards, the employer's scheme is on top of the provinical system and will cover drugs and dental (to some degree), items not covered by the provincial plan. The provincial plan will cover essentials but it too may have a waiting period. I expect this is all covered in the wiki.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, it pretty much confirms what I have just read on the Wiki articles about the Alberta health care system

So, essentially, both of us can register with the Alberta health care insurance plan (which is free of charge) from day one and it (pretty much) offers the same level of cover as I have been used to with the NHS (ie no dental etc)?

Regarding dental, is it better to pay for insurance that covers it or (like the UK) can you simply "pay as you go" depending on what is required at each appointment? Whats the general consensus?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's no Canada health system. There are provincial systems that conform to federally set standards, the employer's scheme is on top of the provinical system and will cover drugs and dental (to some degree), items not covered by the provincial plan. The provincial plan will cover essentials but it too may have a waiting period. I expect this is all covered in the wiki.
Not in Alberta it seems (thankfully!)

International relocation

If you arrive from outside of Canada and take up residence in Alberta, you and your dependants are eligible for enrollment with the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan from Day 1.

In order to qualify, you have to be:

legally entitled to reside in Canada (e.g., Canadian citizen, permanent resident, work permit holder, study permit holder)

a resident of Alberta

physically present in Alberta for 183 days of each year (some exceptions are permitted, e.g., when people's work requires extensive out-of-province travel)
a bona fide resident and not a visitor
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, it pretty much confirms what I have just read on the Wiki articles about the Alberta health care system

So, essentially, both of us can register with the Alberta health care insurance plan (which is free of charge) from day one and it (pretty much) offers the same level of cover as I have been used to with the NHS (ie no dental etc)?

Regarding dental, is it better to pay for insurance that covers it or (like the UK) can you simply "pay as you go" depending on what is required at each appointment? Whats the general consensus?
Prices for dental vary greatly across Canada, Alberta has some of the highest prices. There is no government imposed pricing controls on dental work. Many Canadians without good dental insurance, just go without dental care on a regular basis.

Insurance varies from really crappy and not worth it, to not bad, all depends on your individual policy.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:08 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Pay as you go is very common. If it is just to cover the period until the employer's scheme kicks in this is the way to go.

Long-term, if you don't have an employer's scheme you will be better off self-insuring for dental. Insured schemes cover a limited amount of treatment and the insurers are in it to make a profit. They aim to pay out around 65% of what you pay in premiums. It is only worthwhile as part of an employer's group scheme as the employer will be paying, at a minimum, 50% of the premiums.

When I became self-employed 5 years ago I decided to put $150 month in a savings account. This was 2/3rds of the cheapest private extended health insurer I could find. Al our medical and dental expenses are paid from this account. It currently has a balance of over $6,000.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Pay as you go is very common. If it is just to cover the period until the employer's scheme kicks in this is the way to go.

Long-term, if you don't have an employer's scheme you will be better off self-insuring for dental. Insured schemes cover a limited amount of treatment and the insurers are in it to make a profit. They aim to pay out around 65% of what you pay in premiums. It is only worthwhile as part of an employer's group scheme as the employer will be paying, at a minimum, 50% of the premiums.

When I became self-employed 5 years ago I decided to put $150 month in a savings account. This was 2/3rds of the cheapest private extended health insurer I could find. Al our medical and dental expenses are paid from this account. It currently has a balance of over $6,000.
Cheers Jon

Interesting advice, my scenario is a bit unusual in that I will be covered (albeit after an initial deferral period) by my employer so I`m good but my wife isnt included in such a plan (I intend to double check that when landed) so we need a strategy in place for her and your PAYG idea is what I was leaning towards

I might take a leaf out of your book and tuck a little away into a separate account each month for when the time comes
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

(I intend to double check that when landed)
Definitly worth checking as most scheme cover spouse and dependents.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

No kiddies?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 10:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

All the expensive work was done beforehand.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:24 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Jon

Interesting advice, my scenario is a bit unusual in that I will be covered (albeit after an initial deferral period) by my employer so I`m good but my wife isnt included in such a plan (I intend to double check that when landed) so we need a strategy in place for her and your PAYG idea is what I was leaning towards

I might take a leaf out of your book and tuck a little away into a separate account each month for when the time comes
Will your company let you pay from your salary to cover your wife too? I asked my company and they now deduct coverage from my salary for my husband and son, this is with Blue Cross.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MillieF
Will your company let you pay from your salary to cover your wife too? I asked my company and they now deduct coverage from my salary for my husband and son, this is with Blue Cross.
If the cover isn't automatically included for my wife I will ask, they've been pretty helpful so far
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

The NHS I believe will give you up to three months of prescription drugs to cover you when you leave the UK they certainly did for us. As has been said in Alberta you will be covered by Alberta health care from the minute you land check out the link http://http://www.health.alberta.ca/...s-covered.html . The insurance plan I am in at work covers myself my wife and the two kids, I started paying it immediately but couldn't use it for the first three months. I believe this is relatively standard we foolishly paid for an insurance policy from the UK before we came not realizing we didn't need it.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 1:15 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Definitly worth checking as most scheme cover spouse and dependents.
+1 on that. I've had coverage through employers from Blue Cross, Great West Life & Manulife and all offer coverage for spouse and dependents.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.