Canada

Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada

Originally Posted by plasmarb
with areas that have literally become a micro nation within a country
Like Toronto's Little Italy, Koreatown, Little Bangledesh, Chinatown, that bit with all the Brazilians and the district of Ethiopian restaurants?
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:40 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is There is? I would disagree, unless they are into skiing or long distance hiking. Keep them away from fast food joints then!
Not that sort of oversized, she's just very tall and powerful. Wrestles bears and stuff (gets it from her Mum)
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:41 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Like Toronto's Little Italy, Koreatown, Little Bangledesh, Chinatown, that bit with all the Brazilians and the district of Ethiopian restaurants?
Or Vancouver Island that's like Little Britain!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 12:50 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Or Vancouver Island that's like Little Britain!
Around here it's mostly Mennonites, they're exempt from most taxes but aren't eligible for healthcare. It's like a micro nation within a country!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 1:25 am
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by dbd33
Around here it's mostly Mennonites, they're exempt from most taxes but aren't eligible for healthcare. It's like a micro nation within a country!
I often equate the whole Island as like Lilliput - a little country in its own right. When I'm old enough to vote I'm going to campaign for independence - like I did for the Isle of Wight back in the day (you remember the People's Democratic Party for the Liberation of Cowes) or the PDPLC!!! That was me!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I often equate the whole Island as like Lilliput - a little country in its own right. When I'm old enough to vote I'm going to campaign for independence - like I did for the Isle of Wight back in the day (you remember the People's Democratic Party for the Liberation of Cowes) or the PDPLC!!! That was me!
No. Anyone else who had heard of this (ie nobody) thought it was linked to Compassion in World Farming
Old Nov 18th 2015, 3:54 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Socially London crime has soared, with areas that have literally become a micro nation within a country with more deprived areas here than I've seen abroad!
Pop over to Vancouver and spend some time in the Downtown Eastside. Or Whalley in Surrey. Or even worse than those is Maple Ridge.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:00 am
Just Joined

plasmarb is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow surprised at the negativity!
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wow surprised at the negativity!
But why do you think Canada will be a better place to raise kids? What do you think it offers that the UK can't? Whereabouts do you live in the UK now, and where do you plan to live in Canada? If you can give more info, then people can give you more pertinent responses. You got similar responses in a previous thread (http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-advice-813314), so not sure why you'd expect it to be different this time and for everybody to suddenly say Canada is Utopia. ;-)

FWIW, I love Canada but I've always said that the only thing it can offer my children that the UK can't is skiing on the doorstep (although depends on where you are in Canada), and language immersion education. Now that the UK offers language immersion education, that just leaves skiing, and for me the advantages of the UK (family, friends, proximity to Europe etc) far outweigh that.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

To what part? Property, you only have to look on right move and already see what you get for you money compared to here. There is no comparison.
What are you getting for your money? Agree that parts of England aren't always cheap, but neither is Canada. UK isn't just London.
First look on Property Pal and found this: Maybe not that cheap for some and not my taste, but great views and would certainly be OK for kids to grow up there.
64 Old Killowen Road, Killowen, Down, Rostrevor - PropertyPal
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Crayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond repute

We started thinking of buying property in UK or moving to Canada.

There is no comparison for what we can get in Canada for even half that we were planning on spending in UK for first property. That is one of the reasons, we would rather have mortgage there and pay it off in 5 or less years, and get another property/bigger; rather than here paying it off for 20-25 for something smaller.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crayon
We started thinking of buying property in UK or moving to Canada.

There is no comparison for what we can get in Canada for even half that we were planning on spending in UK for first property. That is one of the reasons, we would rather have mortgage there and pay it off in 5 or less years, and get another property/bigger; rather than here paying it off for 20-25 for something smaller.
But as has been said above, it totally depends on where you're coming from and going to. If you live in London and are planning on moving to NS, then of course property will be much cheaper. If you're in Shropshire and moving to Vancouver, then it will be much more expensive.

That's why you can't always say that property is 'cheaper in Canada', as it's too big a generalisation. And as el_richo has pointed out, the cheapest areas of Canada are cheap for a reason i.e. lack of amenities and employment.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Crayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond reputeCrayon has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, it all depends from point of view. We are tied with husbands job in London so have to live somewhere when he can commute easily, but still we live quite far from London and prices are still like this. It is bit daunting when you are trying to get on property ladder.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
But as has been said above, it totally depends on where you're coming from and going to. If you live in London and are planning on moving to NS, then of course property will be much cheaper. If you're in Shropshire and moving to Vancouver, then it will be much more expensive. That's why you can't always say that property is 'cheaper in Canada', as it's too big a generalisation. And as el_richo has pointed out, the cheapest areas of Canada are cheap for a reason i.e. lack of amenities and employment.
Indeed, but some people just don't get that. It's mostly the people who moved from a city to a rural part of Canada who say it's cheap, but if you lived in Northern Ireland and moved to Vancouver certainly not cheap at all.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 10:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Crayon
I agree, it all depends from point of view. We are tied with husbands job in London so have to live somewhere when he can commute easily, but still we live quite far from London and prices are still like this. It is bit daunting when you are trying to get on property ladder.
Ditto, we're also within commuting distance of London. Far cheaper than it was in Vancouver though!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.