British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canada-868106/)

plasmarb Nov 17th 2015 7:55 pm

Canada

Is there still many people emigrating?

Seems to be alot coming from Canada to UK, couldn't think why!!

beckiwoo Nov 17th 2015 8:00 pm

Re: Canada

Maybe they want to experience living in another country and want to make a better life for themselves Not everyone is happy in Canada you know

el_richo Nov 17th 2015 8:29 pm

Most likely because employment opportunities are generally better in the UK, and access to major cities is much easier due to more favourable distances.

Also the pubs are better and housing is much cheaper when compared to location.

They're probably moving for the kids.

Tirytory Nov 17th 2015 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by plasmarb (Post 11796588)
Is there still many people emigrating?

Seems to be alot coming from Canada to UK, couldn't think why!!

Well let's see... Canada are currently inviting 1500 people to immigrate there roughly once every month so I would say that's a yes. Of course not all British.. On a thread around here somewhere is a demographic I believe..

plasmarb Nov 17th 2015 9:04 pm

I'm intrigued by the price of property being cheaper?

I'd favour Canada to the UK to raise children.

scrubbedexpat091 Nov 17th 2015 9:09 pm

Biggest benefit I can see to the UK is being near other parts of the world allowing easier and less expensive to visit places.

Biggest downside to North America is being so far from everywhere else making it a costly venture to leave the continent, more costly then a lot can afford so a trip to Europe or such is a once in a life time thing.

Tirytory Nov 17th 2015 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by plasmarb (Post 11796635)

Why? Whereabout's in Canada have you visited?

plasmarb Nov 17th 2015 9:45 pm

To what part?

Property, you only have to look on right move and already see what you get for you money compared to here. There is no comparison.

Socially London crime has soared, with areas that have literally become a micro nation within a country with more deprived areas here than I've seen abroad!

rivingtonpike Nov 17th 2015 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by plasmarb (Post 11796588)
Is there still many people emigrating? Seems to be alot coming from Canada to UK, couldn't think why!!

Are there a lot moving to the UK from Canada? I wasn't aware. Some Canadians emigrate to the UK from here and some Brits move back to the UK. I personally am quite happy here for the time being. In the future - who can say. Can't say the crime rate when I lived in the UK was a major contributory factor in the decision to move.

magnumpi Nov 17th 2015 10:45 pm

Cheese, it's because of cheese, the great cheese exidos is on. Did I say cheese enough times yet ?

beckiwoo Nov 17th 2015 11:15 pm

That all depends on where you are in Canada and in the UK.

Aviator Nov 17th 2015 11:19 pm

Why?

It is cheaper in some places to the Uk and not others. Some parts of the UK are way cheaper than parts of Canada. All depends what you need to what you can get away with paying/

Also like to know your rationale?

Are you deciding based on experience of Canada and the UK, or just think Canada looks better from the outside?

el_richo Nov 17th 2015 11:29 pm

When compared to location many areas are, yes. For example, when compared to proximity to major hubs, transportation, employment and employment options, and so on.

Why?

rivingtonpike Nov 17th 2015 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo (Post 11796763)
When compared to location many areas are, yes. For example, when compared to proximity to major hubs, transportation, employment and employment options, and so on. Why?

Canada is bigger. There's more room for them to run about and play. I have at least one oversized child. The other one not so much, but she could get much bigger at any moment.

Aviator Nov 18th 2015 12:04 am

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 11796784)
Canada is bigger.

It is

There's more room for them to run about and play.
There is? I would disagree, unless they are into skiing or long distance hiking.

I have at least one oversized child. The other one not so much, but she could get much bigger at any moment.
Keep them away from fast food joints then!