Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can we afford to live on VI on this?

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Yes, we're in Canada, and like the UK we will have to pay for their higher education.

Didn't your earlier post suggest that you were trying to find different ways out of that though???
But on the UK you do not HAVE to pay.

Secondly, I'm not trying to get out of it, as you put it, those would be our circumstances, would you deprive a young adult of the chance of a university education because the parents could not afford it. It's a shame that predict text does not also rephrase, your posts would be less offensive to me.
Old Mar 18th 2014, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yorkiechef, this is a genuine question: Why are you looking to retire in your 40s?

Won't you be bored rigid, especially on a subsistence-level income?
Hi, it is likely to be temporary, but if I like it.....
Old Mar 18th 2014, 9:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkiechef
But on the UK you do not HAVE to pay.

Secondly, I'm not trying to get out of it, as you put it, those would be our circumstances, would you deprive a young adult of the chance of a university education because the parents could not afford it. It's a shame that predict text does not also rephrase, your posts would be less offensive to me.
You do have to pay in most of the UK apart from Scotland. Where do you get the idea that you don't have to from?

Those who are not able to afford it, should obviously be helped, but given that you gave us a lot of financial history further down the line, this doesn't really apply, you're just choosing not to. But your money, your call.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 1:52 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think that with a 17 year old daughter, you'd struggle on a fixed income of $30k a year. Other costs might be municipal water or well maintenance, heating, ferry to mainland, cable TV, etc etc etc. As has already been posted many times, it depends what your lifestyle expectations are. As a family we don't particularly indulge in the more expensive pursuits like skiing or off-roading, but we would definitely struggle to make ends meet on $30 k.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 2:47 am
Just Joined

yogiBC is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think your allowed to apply for immigration as a retiree...
I may be wrong in saying this but you have to come as a skilled worker or entrepreneur.
Also the whole process of immigrating takes many years.
Check out with the CIC
Old Mar 19th 2014, 8:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yogiBC
I don't think your allowed to apply for immigration as a retiree...
I may be wrong in saying this but you have to come as a skilled worker or entrepreneur.
Also the whole process of immigrating takes many years.
Check out with the CIC
I have PR and yes you can retire, you just need to be able to afford it.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:05 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Why would a bank ignore existing unpaid debt when calculating mortgage affordability?

They don't but they don't take off the entire debt!

What you have to understand is a student loan is not the same as commercial debt (bank loans, overdrafts, credit cards)

I got a mortgage offer last year with £20k of student loan debt. They only take off my repayments on what I can afford to pay each month.

If banks took off all debt then hardly any young people would be able to afford to get on property ladder - think about it!

Ideally I would prefer not to have it hanging over me.
Could I pay it off it one lump sum? Just about but that would be all my savings for Canada, my house deposit and would leave me nothing.

On a British website called moneysavingexpert (a well used website in the UK I might add) the financial guy advises not to pay it off whole as there is no reason to and much better to just have the contributions taken off through up work wages (it's very little for me about £25 a month and I am over the minimum threshold of £15k a year) (my loan was between 2003-2007 so it might be different to the newer style ones now)

Last edited by beckiwoo; Mar 19th 2014 at 9:17 am.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 9:17 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
You do have to pay in most of the UK apart from Scotland. Where do you get the idea that you don't have to from?

Those who are not able to afford it, should obviously be helped, but given that you gave us a lot of financial history further down the line, this doesn't really apply, you're just choosing not to. But your money, your call.
If I recall correctly, the latest UK government student financing scheme is structured such that if you are not earning £21K+ (maybe £23K as Yorkie states) then you do not have to make any loan repayments. Once the student does start earning £21K+ there is a progressive scale of repayments. If the student never finds work at £21K plus, after 7-10 years the loan is written off. The idea is that the government is underwriting the risk of obtaining a "decent job" post graduation.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

My bad, just checked the gov. UK site it is £21k. Even if they get a job of £30k per year they only pay back £67 per month. Some leave uni and never work for more than minimum wage, I can see why many parents refuse to fund uni education when it is underwritten by the govt. when we pop our clogs, if the kids are so inclined, they can pay it off from the inheritance.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 11:39 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

My bad, just checked the gov. UK site it is £21k. Even if they get a job of £30k per year they only pay back £67 per month. Some leave uni and never work for more than minimum wage, I can see why many parents refuse to fund uni education when it is underwritten by the govt. when we pop our clogs, if the kids are so inclined, they can pay it off from the inheritance.
It's not just that (clog popping). Past generations had the benefit of grants (those in need) and the new system seems to be attempting to restore that support avenue.

Student debt is not necessarily a bad thing. It focuses the mind of a youngster and his/her parents on whether the course is worthwhile.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 12:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
They don't but they don't take off the entire debt!

What you have to understand is a student loan is not the same as commercial debt (bank loans, overdrafts, credit cards)

I got a mortgage offer last year with £20k of student loan debt. They only take off my repayments on what I can afford to pay each month.

If banks took off all debt then hardly any young people would be able to afford to get on property ladder - think about it!

Ideally I would prefer not to have it hanging over me.
Could I pay it off it one lump sum? Just about but that would be all my savings for Canada, my house deposit and would leave me nothing.

On a British website called moneysavingexpert (a well used website in the UK I might add) the financial guy advises not to pay it off whole as there is no reason to and much better to just have the contributions taken off through up work wages (it's very little for me about £25 a month and I am over the minimum threshold of £15k a year) (my loan was between 2003-2007 so it might be different to the newer style ones now)
There is cause for nervousness about moving to Canada with an outstanding student loan. The Student Loan Company (or whoever holds the debt this week) may well translate your Canadian income to a vast number of pounds and want large repayments. Depending on exchange rate shifts making the payments could be problematic.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

These are the figures that I have come up with, please say if I am way out

Car maint ins and fuel 3000 a year

Heating elec. 3600
House ins. 1500
Prop tax. 4500
Decorating & maint. 2000
Water and well. 2000

Msp. 1600

Balance for food and clothes and treats 12000 or 1000 per month

Is there anything else except holidays and travel to the mainland?

Thanks
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:25 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

These are the figures that I have come up with, please say if I am way out

Heating elec. 3600
House ins. 1500
Prop tax. 4500
Decorating & maint. 2000
Water and well. 2000

Msp. 1600

Balance for food and clothes and treats 12000 or 1000 per month

Is there anything else except holidays and travel to the mainland?

Thanks
TV, phone, internet
Medical, dental

I think $1000/month for a family of 3, or even 2, for ALL food, clothes, treats, trips, unexpected bills etc. is cutting it way too fine.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
TV, phone, internet
Medical, dental

I think $1000/month for a family of 3, or even 2, for ALL food, clothes, treats, trips, unexpected bills etc. is cutting it way too fine.
We spend that easily just on food.
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Your insurance premium could conceivably be half of that amount, leaving not much more than $100 p/mth for maintenance and fuel. That's barely a tankful of gas per month for an SUV.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.