Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:45 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Originally Posted by livermanl
Souv - what do you mean do you have an international medical insurance plan?
Yeah. We travel a lot in our company and have a worldwide group plan. It doesn't cover me in Canada but I'm covered anyway. It doesn't cover me in the UK, either, because it's a UK-issued policy and folk are presumed to be covered by the NHS, which I'm not any more. This virtual commuting lark has its complications.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:49 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
National Insurance contributions have nothing to do with the NHS. NI contributions pay for social security benefits ie pensions.

NHS is funded from income taxes.
Fair enough still should be treated like insurance.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
Fair enough still should be treated like insurance.
If it was it wouldn't be available for every UK resident would it? It would only be available for those who pay into it.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

spooooook is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TrishB
It happens here in Ontario, it's not just a British sentiment - I work as a therapist in the accident benefits side of auto insurance here in Ontario and wish I had a loonie for every time a client got huffy when the insurer won't pay for something, citing their entitlement as they'd paid insurance for years and never made a claim before ... tis human nature, not just a British-ism.
...and not unreasonable. Entitlement usually requires a prior consideration (i.e. you don't get something for nothing), and the payment of NI contributions is the consideration for NHS treatment.

If an auto insurer wants to fiddle its claims entitlement policy to be able to refuse more claims and so maximise its profits, that is a different matter entirely
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spooooook
...and not unreasonable. Entitlement usually requires a prior consideration (i.e. you don't get something for nothing), and the payment of NI contributions is the consideration for NHS treatment.

If an auto insurer wants to fiddle its claims entitlement policy to be able to refuse more claims and so maximise its profits, that is a different matter entirely
No it's not because NI contributions have nothing to do with the NHS.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:02 pm

NI is not an insurance programme. It's a tax used to fund state pensions and other social security payments.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Why, then, did Gordon Brown and his mob justify the latest increase to NI contributions by saying that it was to finance improvements to the NHS?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:06 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Souvenir
NI is not an insurance programme. It's a tax used to fund state pensions and other social security payments.
That's what I've already said:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...5&postcount=45
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Why, then, did Gordon Brown and his mob justify the latest increase to NI contributions by saying that it was to finance improvements to the NHS?
Do you have a link for that?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:08 pm

I know. Wikpedia provides quite a good explanation of the increasingly complicated way in which NI money is used.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Do you have a link for that?
No, I have a TV set, newspapers, and eyes and ears here in the UK.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I have a TV set, newspapers, and eyes and ears here in the UK.
Hmmmm...I haven't.

Even if what you say is correct I would put it past that buffoon Brown to be like others and get NI contributions confused with the NHS.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hmmmm...I haven't.

Even if what you say is correct I would put it past that buffoon Brown to be like others and get NI contributions confused with the NHS.

Jerseygirl, you've got in one.

Everything is such an outrageous con over here at the moment. Everything we get charged in tax, whether it be income tax, NI, vehicle excise duty, etc. all seems to go into one big black hole (less a percentage for the politicians' retirement funds, of course).
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:35 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl, you've got in one.

Everything is such an outrageous con over here at the moment. Everything we get charged in tax, whether it be income tax, NI, vehicle excise duty, etc. all seems to go into one big black hole (less a percentage for the politicians' retirement funds, of course).
Sorry I don't agree generally the more taxed a country is the better quality of life is I.E. norway, sweden and a lot of other countries in that area...

Also the taxation rates here in Canada are much the same as the UK Province dependant. In manitoba we pay 13/14% on sales tax which is equivalent to the UKs 14% VAT.

I think its 22% tax out of a pay check which is the same as the UK.

Over here Fuels are taxed to essentially pay for the roads. which are horrible probably due to them not having enough money.

Garbage gets collected, streets cleaned/ploughed. Property tax is much the same as council tax in the UK if not more (property/location dependant).
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishB
It happens here in Ontario, it's not just a British sentiment - I work as a therapist in the accident benefits side of auto insurance here in Ontario and wish I had a loonie for every time a client got huffy when the insurer won't pay for something, citing their entitlement as they'd paid insurance for years and never made a claim before ... tis human nature, not just a British-ism.
Poor sod - AB adjuster - did BI caims and Property before - when insurers don't pay or theres a deductible ...somehow magically claims get inflated to cover whats "not covered"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.