Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:04 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAN BRITS GET DENTAL,OPTICAL TREATMENT WHEN VISITING UK

Originally Posted by windward
'fraid not. I live here, I have a permanent job here, I pay taxes here, I filled out my P80 when I left England. I have been a Canadian resident for 8 months, as will everyone else who comes out on BUNAC this year, whether they like it or not
I'm still puzzled. It rather sounds like you are not PR in Canada (just resident as a normal rather than legal status) and that you could still be classed as a resident in the UK but just not there. At the end of the BUNAC Visa or whatever it's called, could you still work? If not doesn't that make the job as temporary as your status in Canada?

I may be mistaken but that's what it sounds like.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 3:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windward
'fraid not. I live here, I have a permanent job here, I pay taxes here, I filled out my P80 when I left England. I have been a Canadian resident for 8 months, as will everyone else who comes out on BUNAC this year, whether they like it or not

The Mods trawl the forums all day and we should expect them not to participate?
I was under the impression you have to be a PR in Ontario for a certain number of months (6?) before you can are entitled to use the healthcare.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...hipfaq_dt.html

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jan 11th 2009 at 3:11 pm.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=windward;7151085]'fraid not. I live here, I have a permanent job here, I pay taxes here, I filled out my P80 when I left England. I have been a Canadian resident for 8 months, as will everyone else who comes out on BUNAC this year, whether they like it or not

That does seem unfair, I agree. On the other hand BUNAC is a fantastic programme, and if having to carry insurance for a year is the price, I suspect it is still a pretty good deal. I wonder how the Australian and New Zealand versions work?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:35 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Take a look at the bottom right hand side of the Canada forum index page...the mod's names are listed there.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98
And the "personal issues" bit - are you going to explain that?
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by startwin
And the "personal issues" bit - are you going to explain that?
Being as you insist. I said that because you brought the subject up out of nowwhere...there was no reason for you to think we were arguing or that I would ban anyone.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 4:45 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Being as you insist. I said that because you brought the subject up out of nowwhere...there was no reason for you to think we were arguing or that I would ban anyone.
Oh And that makes it "personal issues"? Weird, and distasteful.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
...and yet, Almost Canadian would have him down as a Candy stealing cheat.
Please confirm where I stated that someone needing emergency treatment is a Candy stealing cheat
Old Jan 15th 2009, 11:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

This may be of interest:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ey-retire.html
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

That must have been a nasty shock for them, but it is a pity that people don't think about these things before they move out of the country. It's not as if it is new rule. I also wonder how this couple organised to get from Turkey to Addenbrooke without anyone asking how they were going to pay for it. Still a really nasty situation to be in, and I hope they get some help.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:15 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nooka
That must have been a nasty shock for them, but it is a pity that people don't think about these things before they move out of the country. It's not as if it is new rule. I also wonder how this couple organised to get from Turkey to Addenbrooke without anyone asking how they were going to pay for it. Still a really nasty situation to be in, and I hope they get some help.
If a British citizen returns to Britain with the intention of making it their permanent home then they are entitled to NHS treatment from the day they return.

So this story has some holes in it.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fledermaus
If a British citizen returns to Britain with the intention of making it their permanent home then they are entitled to NHS treatment from the day they return.

So this story has some holes in it.
She flew to the UK knowing she needed medical treatment...after being treated they went back to Turkey and it looks like they are still there. The bill is for the treatment she received during this period.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:44 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

She flew to the UK knowing she needed medical treatment...after being treated they went back to Turkey and it looks like they are still there. The bill is for the treatment she received during this period.
Guilty of misreading as charged.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Guilty of misreading as charged.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:50 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Still haven't got over getting a bill for $50 to get my collapsed husband from home to the hospital half a mile away.
When in Rome I suppose!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:57 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by seaham gal
Still haven't got over getting a bill for $50 to get my collapsed husband from home to the hospital half a mile away.
When in Rome I suppose!
My last 10 minute ambulance ride cost $250 and worth every penny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.