Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Can anyone advise on Woodstock, ON, or thereabouts

Can anyone advise on Woodstock, ON, or thereabouts

Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about
Default Can anyone advise on Woodstock, ON, or thereabouts

folks we are due to hopefully arrive now mid feb - after much searching and on some advice we are looking at Woodstock as our base or thereabouts, due to having work possibilities close at hand so to speak..

a simple Q''' - does anyone have any info on the area for the norm in family life, schooling etc etc..
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can anyone advise on Woodstock, ON, or thereabouts

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina
folks we are due to hopefully arrive now mid feb - after much searching and on some advice we are looking at Woodstock as our base or thereabouts, due to having work possibilities close at hand so to speak..

a simple Q''' - does anyone have any info on the area for the norm in family life, schooling etc etc..
Lots of unhyphenated Canadians (althoough quite a few people of dutch background....most have been in Canada 40+ years), close to London, Kitchener, on the 401, hot humid summers.

I don't know pluses or minuses for schools....however, it strikes me as a family friendly place.

Aren't Toyota building there?
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 11:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

It's in what's known as South Western Ontario. A nice town with good quality surrounding farmland. Because of its location, has quite a heavy annual snowfall but everyone there is equipped to deal with it. As the previous poster mentioned Toyota Canada have a reasonably new assembly plant there. You would get the small town atmosphere with easy, quick access to London and Toronto, Ontario.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Find the poster "oldbag", she lived down there until recently.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:19 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Find the poster "oldbag", she lived down there until recently.
She had very negative thoughts about the area so you should seek more opinions than her's before making your mind up. Remember, one man's meat etc.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 1:30 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
She had very negative thoughts about the area so you should seek more opinions than her's before making your mind up. Remember, one man's meat etc.
Perhaps the OP can take gushing praise from a distance from your post #3 and balance that with the criticisms of someone who recently lived in the place in question.
Old Dec 23rd 2008, 10:24 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Perhaps the OP can take gushing praise from a distance from your post #3 and balance that with the criticisms of someone who recently lived in the place in question.
I second this. There was someone else posting recently who lived around that region too. She hated the small town atmosphere

Around here that weirdness is very variable. Some towns/villages have it some don't, so whatever you do, don't buy to start with, rent till you are sure you like the area.
Old Dec 24th 2008, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by jonnieandmartina

My hubbie works in Woodstock. We live in London. We prefer to live in London because in our opinion, Woodstock is quite a depressing little town. However, depending on where you work, you could probably find a rural property nearby and just use Woodstock to get groceries etc. if you wanted.

I really think it depends on personal taste. I liked the idea of Woodstock before I visited it. As soon as I saw it, I couldn't wait to leave! It would be much easier for us to move to Woodstock but I just couldn't do it! There are a mixture of schools in Woodstock just like anywhere. It depends on where you live. If you decide to live there and want to know more about a particular school, just PM me as the school board I work for covers the Woodstock area.

Chris
Old Dec 24th 2008, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

jonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura aboutjonnieandmartina has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Tom Masters
My hubbie works in Woodstock. We live in London. We prefer to live in London because in our opinion, Woodstock is quite a depressing little town. However, depending on where you work, you could probably find a rural property nearby and just use Woodstock to get groceries etc. if you wanted.

I really think it depends on personal taste. I liked the idea of Woodstock before I visited it. As soon as I saw it, I couldn't wait to leave! It would be much easier for us to move to Woodstock but I just couldn't do it! There are a mixture of schools in Woodstock just like anywhere. It depends on where you live. If you decide to live there and want to know more about a particular school, just PM me as the school board I work for covers the Woodstock area.

Chris

Thanxs Chris..

we had actually thought of London as well however its simply locating now and "the feel factor" to ascertain, and importantly the work thing which now after another email recieved yesterday is not as positive as we thought..

we seen London albeit briefly on the last visit, I agree it is worth another look..

all for now

jon

ps I might pm regarding the school thing, if that ok