Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calm before the panic

Calm before the panic

Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calm before the panic

So here'e the story in a nutshell:
I fell in love with Canada and Vancouver in particular when I visited in 1994.
I have been back to visit pretty much every year since. I still love it and my appreciation has rubbed off on my OH. We have thought about moving there for a few years now and last year we found out about the Occupations Under Pressure list. This got us motivated. OH works in retail, so Alberta was the idea.

We started looking into it and speaking to people. The next thing we know, OH is told he might be able to get a transfer! Wow, this was interesting news. Toronto and Vancouver were talked about. We pursued this option, but kept getting bogged down in the Corporate abyss and red tape. So that idea put its self on the back burner and we kept on with the Alberta option and did a recce to Calgary with interviews. A potential job surfaced and negotiations commenced. Still no LMO application in yet and the process grinds on.

The transfer thing resurfaced a few weeks ago which gave us some hope, but then things seemed to go off rail again. We have been trying to get some clarity on the feasibility of making the case for a transfer from the companies lawyers and a possible time frame. Nothing.
Until last night when we were told that the lawyers are frantically working on our case because we have to be out of our rental next week, and we should be able to arrive in Toronto for the 9th October! That's 2 weeks away!!!
We have asked again for an opinion from the lawyer, not the Company contact, if indeed we will be able to convince the officials at POE to let OH have a work permit, and a nice Open WP for myself.
That opinion, we hope, should come tonight.
Then I can start to start to panic.

We have been half heartedly sorting through our stuff and getting familiar with the list of things to be done, but are in no way ready to move. So much to do. 2 cars to sell, all the electrical goods to sell, movers quotes and the lists go on and on.
Many will know what has to be done and the time it takes for certain things. I guess I could forfeit sleep until we get to Toronto.

Well, there is an upside - no more living in limbo wondering if we are going!

Well, that feels better, for now.

Rob.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Calm before the panic

Damm , 2 weeks! I thought we pushed it with a job offer in December and out by the end of February, we did however have our first child early January via C section, which slightly complicated it! Good luck with the impending challenge!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Woah ! Good luck for a positive 'opinion' tonight then !
Old Sep 25th 2007, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
Damm , 2 weeks! I thought we pushed it with a job offer in December and out by the end of February, we did however have our first child early January via C section, which slightly complicated it! Good luck with the impending challenge!
Oh yes, that would be a slight complication, thankfully that's not going to happen here - nor is the 2 weeks me thinks!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 9:30 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Oh yes, that would be a slight complication, thankfully that's not going to happen here - nor is the 2 weeks me thinks!
Me thinks that would be a big shock

Trust you to get to Canada before me after all...you lucky devil. Hope you get a good decision tonight, Rob.

Alison.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud ofRobski has much to be proud of

Oh my goodness, good luck to you.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Best of luck - hope you get good news tonight

Jo
Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

hoping and praying that you get good news, keep us informed. xx
Old Sep 26th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

OMG , 2 weeks, OMG panic.

Well at least you won't have time to worry. Hope it all turns out ok for you...... Congratulations

Sharon
Old Sep 26th 2007, 7:10 am

Update. Update. Update...pleasssssse rob
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Alvic
Update. Update. Update...pleasssssse rob
Nothing!
OH called last night, both the office and her mobile/cell, got voice mail wouldn't you know! Message left. Checked email this morning, you guessed - nothing!

I'm beginning to believe this to be typical when dealing with Canadian employers. The laid back ways might be good for their stress levels, but it's sending mine through the roof!:curse:

I'm going ahead with plans and just hope it all works out.
Right, cuppa tea and then I'll get into full panic mode.

Rob.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 9:04 am

Nothing!
OH called last night, both the office and her mobile/cell, got voice mail wouldn't you know! Message left. Checked email this morning, you guessed - nothing!

I'm beginning to believe this to be typical when dealing with Canadian employers. The laid back ways might be good for their stress levels, but it's sending mine through the roof!:curse:

I'm going ahead with plans and just hope it all works out.
Right, cuppa tea and then I'll get into full panic mode.

Rob.
STOP PANICKING...IT WILL WORK OUT FINE
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Now Rob, no panicking allowed. Remember Gaynor (Burton Bunch)? She made loads of lists and worked her way through them and it all got done in the end. Having a tight deadline will focus you.

Have sent karma and good vibes... just 1 question: how come you and your partner are heading out east when you love Vancouver so much?
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Better late than never - we got the phone call last night from OH new employer, conferenced with the Lawyer doing the prep work for all the documentation we will need to make the case for Specialized Knowledge Intra-Company Transfer.

The short version - all should be easily done and WP at POE ought to be easy enough! So, it looks like we are indeed going to Toronto within the next 3 weeks depending on flights. Still need to do so much, but amazing what you can accomplish when the pressure is on.

Will keep you updated when I get a few moments to breathe.

Rob
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

flipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond reputeflipflop has a reputation beyond repute

Better late than never - we got the phone call last night from OH new employer, conferenced with the Lawyer doing the prep work for all the documentation we will need to make the case for Specialized Knowledge Intra-Company Transfer.

The short version - all should be easily done and WP at POE ought to be easy enough! So, it looks like we are indeed going to Toronto within the next 3 weeks depending on flights. Still need to do so much, but amazing what you can accomplish when the pressure is on.

Will keep you updated when I get a few moments to breathe.

Rob
great news rob.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.