Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

...calling Stewart Mann

...calling Stewart Mann

Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about
Default ...calling Stewart Mann

Hi Stewart,
I just saw on CBC news that some parts of the city ie Charleswood and Assiniboine Park look as if they're having some flood issues....is this true?

I've been watching CTV/CBC news and had been under the impression the city was fine...until today that is.

Just looking for a heads up for areas (or pockets of areas) to avoid when i get there next year.

Regards
Indy.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: ...calling Stewart Mann

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Hi Stewart,
I just saw on CBC news that some parts of the city ie Charleswood and Assiniboine Park look as if they're having some flood issues....is this true?

I've been watching CTV/CBC news and had been under the impression the city was fine...until today that is.

Just looking for a heads up for areas (or pockets of areas) to avoid when i get there next year.

Regards
Indy.
Most of the city is ok,

River Heights and Wolsey are fine, as is most places where the river is some distance away,

Kingston row would be a place to avoid

Have you looked at the winnipeg free press site - they are giving some coverage to floods: http://www.winnipegfreepress.com
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the pointers Snowshoveller.

I watched the news on Kingston Row a few days ago, that would be definite no no for us.

Did you hear anything on Charleswood, it was one of the areas we were considering along with Tuxedo and River Heights.

I will definitely have a look at that link.

p.s....i didn't meet you on our recce in Oct08 did i?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:14 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Charleswood and live by the River, and my feet are still dry. But if my feet do get wet the Downtown will be under about 12' of water.

Most of the problem is North of the City.

Its due to the Ice forming dams and causing a type of "flash flood" downstream. Plus the Ice it's self has damaged some homes knocking one off its foundatations

Now that the floodway is cleared of ice and in operation the City is safe.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:19 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Charleswood, Tuxedo, River Heights, St James are all fine.

Though if the River does crest high, and there is more rain, there may be some flooded basements, unfortunately the worst type, due to sewer back flow, so this is being very carefully watched by the City.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Stewart,

So are you saying it could be a potential problem for properties near the river although yours and many other properties have had no issues?

.....or are you referring to the North of the city when talking about the house with the wobbly foundation?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Hi Stewart,

So are you saying it could be a potential problem for properties near the river although yours and many other properties have had no issues?

.....or are you referring to the North of the city when talking about the house with the wobbly foundation?
Any river property can have issues, esp along the red, assiniboine not quite so much of an issue (less water in it and banks seem higher!

the worst issues have been northwards - east st paul and outwards toward selkirk

I haven't seen any floods in tuxedo - apart from related to frozen drains making for deep puddles on roads

ps. I dont believe we met! I dont do meets!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Any river property can have issues, esp along the red, assiniboine not quite so much of an issue (less water in it and banks seem higher!

the worst issues have been northwards - east st paul and outwards toward selkirk

I haven't seen any floods in tuxedo - apart from related to frozen drains making for deep puddles on roads

ps. I dont believe we met! I dont do meets!
I'm watching the Assiniboine out of my window now, no higher than it usually is and some small ice floes heading downtown. Very impressive to watch.

In theory any property in the city could get overland flooding due to melting snow and that fact that drains can be blocked and the it has no where to drain to. This can be mostly mitigated against by building up the grade at the side of your house and clearing snow away from basement window's etc. A sump pump for $100 is also a good investment.

I certainly wouldn't buy a house anywhere on the Red, particularly outside of the city where the floodway doesn't protect. Anywhere on the Assiniboine within the city is OK too, although some of the condos down at Wellington are built with underground carparks that are allowed to flood (i.e. you can move your car).
Old Apr 14th 2009, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ADAMC
I'm watching the Assiniboine out of my window now, no higher than it usually is and some small ice floes heading downtown. Very impressive to watch.

I just noticed that ormand creek is completely flooded, you cant even see the footbridge at the bottom - I'd say thats 15 feet or so higher than usual so the assiniboine is significantly higher than normal and there are a good number of ice bergs on the river on the other side of the railway bridge - The banks are pretty high there so there doesnt seem much chance of flooding
Old Apr 15th 2009, 12:18 am
RETIRED Realtor

Hi Stewart,

North of the City.

When moving to Winnipeg there is an element of flood risk, as all of the province near the Red River is a flood plain.

The City is suppose to be (after improvements to the floodway) good for a 700 year flood, that is a flood that is predicted to happen only once every 700 years (the flood of 97 was a 200 year event, the City stayed dry, just). So you take that as a bet, and to live here you bet your home and stuff that during your life time its not going to happen.

You can not buy flood insurance here, so if the worst happens you have to rely on Provincial or/and Federal assistance.

You can buy sewer back-up insurance though.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

ADAMC is an unknown quantity at this point

I just noticed that ormand creek is completely flooded, you cant even see the footbridge at the bottom - I'd say thats 15 feet or so higher than usual so the assiniboine is significantly higher than normal and there are a good number of ice bergs on the river on the other side of the railway bridge - The banks are pretty high there so there doesnt seem much chance of flooding
I took a gentle stroll around Assinboine Park and environs this evening. Assiniboine's high near the park, they were pumping out water from the sculpture garden. And there are some huge ice floes nr the bridge across to Portage, including some that had crushed a picnic table and bench. Ormand's Creek was a torrent too.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ADAMC
I took a gentle stroll around Assinboine Park and environs this evening. Assiniboine's high near the park, they were pumping out water from the sculpture garden. And there are some huge ice floes nr the bridge across to Portage, including some that had crushed a picnic table and bench. Ormand's Creek was a torrent too.
nice evening for a stroll
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:01 am
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

nice evening for a stroll
There's a puddle in my back alley want me to take a picture of it
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Looks like most of the group from the Oct08 meet has replied, apart from Gremmie.

I've been catching up on the 'John & Alison' adventures, have they left Winnipeg yet Its a shame they never really felt settled in Selkirk.

BTW, our PNP was approved a few weeks ago and we have already received our Police Certificates back. Bankers Draft for fee payment is ready and i will be submitting FedApplication within a couple of days.

At this rate i should be there early next year job hunting!

...and thanks for the flood watch report guys.

p.s. would i be right in thinking April is not usually as cold as its been?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 6:31 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like most of the group from the Oct08 meet has replied, apart from Gremmie.

I've been catching up on the 'John & Alison' adventures, have they left Winnipeg yet Its a shame they never really felt settled in Selkirk.

BTW, our PNP was approved a few weeks ago and we have already received our Police Certificates back. Bankers Draft for fee payment is ready and i will be submitting FedApplication within a couple of days.

At this rate i should be there early next year job hunting!

...and thanks for the flood watch report guys.

p.s. would i be right in thinking April is not usually as cold as its been?
It's +18 right now!!!

Also I don't think it's easy to say yes or no cause sometimes it's hot and sometimes not...Depends on the year!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.