Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987 View Post
Yes they do all seem about the same, some have said the assessment is free. Someone has told me Ontario are a lot stricter with entry requirements. I've also read BC is good. I'm going to work as a health visitor in the UK so I'm hoping this may build up on the child hours I need?
Unfortunately the hours need to be on your transcripts and if I remember rightly clinical and theory need to be done very much at the same time.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 View Post
All IEN's (Internationally Trained Nurses) have to go through NNAS before submitting application to the provincial college of nurses whether RN or LPN. They basically review your transcripts and send a report to the college you have chosen but it is the college that makes the decision on whether you need to bridge or be assessed
I understand the procedure now, it's just I'm wondering if I could apply as an Lpn and then get a visa, move to Canada and whilst working as an Lpn complete a bridging course to become an RN?
Thank you
Old Aug 13th 2015, 1:48 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Calling all nurses!!!!!!

I understand the procedure now, it's just I'm wondering if I could apply as an Lpn and then get a visa, move to Canada and whilst working as an Lpn complete a bridging course to become an RN?
Thank you
Well that was my plan (Ontario) 14 months after applying, the CNO (pre NNAS) informed me I was missing information despite too many phone calls to mention asking how the application was going and whether it was complete etc etc. The missing information was given within 3 days and another email sent to them that was ignored. Another email noting their lack of response politely, apparently they now have a complete package and I am only now in a queue waiting to be assessed. Frustration doesn't even come close! So I am no closer to sitting the RPN exam than when I arrived 18 months ago. I would also add that I followed my husband's job which can amply provide for us so I no longer need to work- I just want to. I would never contemplate coming here had I really wanted to carry on and have a career in Canada. I accepted that loss as the trade off for other things.

Note that bridging to RN is likely to cost you $10,000 a year to complete, I think the minimum you do is 2 years depending on how you take the course. NNAS website openly states it can take up to a year to assess and then it still has to go to the provincial organization and then sit assessments/exams etc. To me it's mind boggling that anyone wants to come here to work as a nurse, especially with all the seniority crap that goes on..

I'm in the position now where it would have been quicker to take the RPN course when I arrived! I will also lose registration in the UK next June due to insufficient hours. I won't be a nurse anywhere!!!! It makes me so mad!!
Old Aug 13th 2015, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory View Post
Well that was my plan (Ontario) 14 months after applying, the CNO (pre NNAS) informed me I was missing information despite too many phone calls to mention asking how the application was going and whether it was complete etc etc. The missing information was given within 3 days and another email sent to them that was ignored. Another email noting their lack of response politely, apparently they now have a complete package and I am only now in a queue waiting to be assessed. Frustration doesn't even come close! So I am no closer to sitting the RPN exam than when I arrived 18 months ago. I would also add that I followed my husband's job which can amply provide for us so I no longer need to work- I just want to. I would never contemplate coming here had I really wanted to carry on and have a career in Canada. I accepted that loss as the trade off for other things.

Note that bridging to RN is likely to cost you $10,000 a year to complete, I think the minimum you do is 2 years depending on how you take the course. NNAS website openly states it can take up to a year to assess and then it still has to go to the provincial organization and then sit assessments/exams etc. To me it's mind boggling that anyone wants to come here to work as a nurse, especially with all the seniority crap that goes on..

I'm in the position now where it would have been quicker to take the RPN course when I arrived! I will also lose registration in the UK next June due to insufficient hours. I won't be a nurse anywhere!!!! It makes me so mad!!
This sounds really frustrating for you! Why do they make it so hard for UK nurses to get over there? I was under the impression we are sought after!! Doesn't seem likely at all!
I'm hoping to do the health visiting course whilst I am here and work for a year as a health visitor, do you think this might gain me the paeds portion of the hours I need?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 4:51 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds really frustrating for you! Why do they make it so hard for UK nurses to get over there? I was under the impression we are sought after!! Doesn't seem likely at all!
I'm hoping to do the health visiting course whilst I am here and work for a year as a health visitor, do you think this might gain me the paeds portion of the hours I need?
Well the CNO are only interested in what you did as a trainee, not really subsequent study so as Silverdragon said no the hours won't count towards paeds. I'm not sure where you get the idea that nurses are sought after- anything I hear points to the same slant as the UK- run wards at bare minimum and short staffed. Also they don't have a health visitor role in Ontario at least so if you really do want to come to Canada then it will be a pointless year of study in terms of what it will give you here. I think that working as a nurse in the UK and in terms of union protection, no seniority, pension, annual leave is far superior than Ontario. My opinion only.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Well the CNO are only interested in what you did as a trainee, not really subsequent study so as Silverdragon said no the hours won't count towards paeds. I'm not sure where you get the idea that nurses are sought after- anything I hear points to the same slant as the UK- run wards at bare minimum and short staffed. Also they don't have a health visitor role in Ontario at least so if you really do want to come to Canada then it will be a pointless year of study in terms of what it will give you here. I think that working as a nurse in the UK and in terms of union protection, no seniority, pension, annual leave is far superior than Ontario. My opinion only.
Sorry I must of missed silver dragons message - thank you for that info!
When ever nurses have conversations here regarding moving abroad they are all under the illusion that a UK Trained nurse are held in high regards because the level of training is of a high standard, clearly this is not the case!
I understand what you are saying in terms of the benefits of being a UK based nurse, I suppose wherever people work they will always feel like the grass is greener on the other side. For us we want to make the move for our children and ourselves, for what we believe will be a better life than what we have here.......
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:22 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Sorry I must of missed silver dragons message - thank you for that info!
When ever nurses have conversations here regarding moving abroad they are all under the illusion that a UK Trained nurse are held in high regards because the level of training is of a high standard, clearly this is not the case!
I understand what you are saying in terms of the benefits of being a UK based nurse, I suppose wherever people work they will always feel like the grass is greener on the other side. For us we want to make the move for our children and ourselves, for what we believe will be a better life than what we have here.......
I guess it depends on where you live in the UK. My kids have a great lifestyle here but only because my husband earns a very decent amount. But we could have provided them with the same in the UK and I don't generally think Ontario is "better" than the UK merely different.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

I guess it depends on where you live in the UK. My kids have a great lifestyle here but only because my husband earns a very decent amount. But we could have provided them with the same in the UK and I don't generally think Ontario is "better" than the UK merely different.
We live in Essex, it's not great. The crime rate is ridiculous, stabbings have become an every day occurrence! We have booked into an expo in London this year for Canada/Oz/New Zealand so will hopefully get some good info
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

We live in Essex, it's not great. The crime rate is ridiculous, stabbings have become an every day occurrence! We have booked into an expo in London this year for Canada/Oz/New Zealand so will hopefully get some good info
How old are your children? Have you thought about moving elsewhere in the UK?It's a phrase ridiculed on expat "moving for the kids" but mostly one first world country is much the same as the other. Move for other reasons but not that one. How do you know another country will be better for them?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

How old are your children? Have you thought about moving elsewhere in the UK?It's a phrase ridiculed on expat "moving for the kids" but mostly one first world country is much the same as the other. Move for other reasons but not that one. How do you know another country will be better for them?
Like I said moving for our children and ourselves. My children are 3 and 4. It's what myself and my husband want. No to be honest we haven't thought about moving elsewhere in the UK. I have always wanted to move to America/Canada. My husbands cousins family moved out years ago and love it, He has a really good job out there as a police man and loves it! I suppose it's different in different areas the same as the UK. I just know for us this is not where we want to be. My parents are also moving out
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Could they be making the process for foreign trained nurses such a pain to keep jobs open for new Canadian graduates?

I know in BC nursing programs are in high demand, and very hard to even get into since they get far more qualified applicants at the colleges then spots, so they seem to be churning out new grads pretty consistently.

The postings on the health authority websites seems to always be casual employment as well for the most part, so doesn't seem to be an extreme shortage.

Maybe they put in all the red tape to keep foreign trained out?
Old Aug 13th 2015, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

As a comparison, for balance, have a look at the requirements to immigrate & register as a nurse in the UK.

Red tape is red tape, the world over...
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Everywhere seems to make it harder to move as a nurse. Currently changes the NMC made has caused more queues for nurses trying to move to the UK but I don't think the process is as long as CNO. CRNNS I don't think is as long but most do require some form of assessment and the health authority is going through major changes due to the change of government last year
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:16 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Shirtback View Post
As a comparison, for balance, have a look at the requirements to immigrate & register as a nurse in the UK.

Oh I'm sure it is! I was just trying to point out that actually working in the UK as a nurse isn't really as bad as all that..
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:46 am
Newlywed

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Or Australia. Sure, nurses are on the skilled occupations list, but in order to actually work as a nurse over here you have to register with AHPRA which is an absolute nightmare. Then you need to have a skills assessment by ANMC before submitting an expression of interest and maybe being chosen to apply for a visa
It most certainly is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.