Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calling all biomedical scientists!

Calling all biomedical scientists!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 9:44 am
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of
Default Calling all biomedical scientists!

Does anyone have any links to any scientific job websites, as this is what the wife will be doing if we make the move to van and what sort of salary range she could expect.
Also would she encounter the old "must have canadian job experience connundrum" barring her from working in this field.

Thanks in advance 4 any info.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling all biomedical scientists!

Originally Posted by oldhamisadump
Does anyone have any links to any scientific job websites, as this is what the wife will be doing if we make the move to van and what sort of salary range she could expect.
Also would she encounter the old "must have canadian job experience connundrum" barring her from working in this field.

Know nothing at all about it, but wanted to say that your wife has a very, very cool job title.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 11:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure what a "biomedical scientist" is. I know some medical researchers here, people what have lots of academic qualifications and are pushing back the frontiers of science. That business is all "who you know", they are recruited based on having reviewed each other's papers and seen each other's lectures without regard for location; they're here (for now) because the fundiong is here (for here). A job as a medical researcher for a prestigious university/hospital team pays enough to rent a room in a shared house where the other occupants are students and/or bartenders. Scientists in Canada need to marry someone who has a proper job.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

oldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud ofoldhamisadump has much to be proud of

Errm,
Thanks for the replies not quite what i was looking for but ta anyway.
Looks like i will have to do a bit more research myself.
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

DaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of lightDaviesHN is a glorious beacon of light

Errm,
Thanks for the replies not quite what i was looking for but ta anyway.
Looks like i will have to do a bit more research myself.
Not sure if it helps but you may find a direct contact on the following list
http://www.bctop100.com/biotech.htm

There may also be some adverts on the following more general sites
http://working.canada.com/vancouver/index.html
http://www.bcjobs.ca/index.cfm
http://jobsearch.monster.ca/

failing that I think there may be tons of info in the database & file section of Yahoo group Brits2Vancouver.

I also think that it may be a saturated badly paid profession requiring at least a PhD. But it depends what level you are looking at.
Helen
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 7:33 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Why Van?

Manitoba has several biomedical research labs
http://www.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/highlights...innipeg_e.html

http://www.biomedcanada.com/

Plus others do a search for your wifes field in manitoba you may end up with some thing better the overcrowd commuting Van...
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

cheers helen, we will look into those sites that you posted.

Grah, van has always been the number 1 choice for us, the scenery of bc, the fact that it's not as cold as other parts of canada and vancouver being voted at the top (or close to it) of best places to live. But i suppose realistically it will be just the same daily grind we have here in sunny manchester and just as much stress (i believe house prices are at insane levels there too) Ah well, we just want to live the dream thats all.

Thanks 4 the info.
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:09 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

This is a very silly question. Sorry if that sounds rude, but what sort of job does your wife, who is a "biomedical scientist" want?

If in academia, then what level? If in the private sector, then doing what? I could probably give you some guidelines on salary expectations, but your query is along the lines of "What should we do to be happiest?" (Or richest?)
Old Sep 4th 2006, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This is a very silly question. Sorry if that sounds rude, but what sort of job does your wife, who is a "biomedical scientist" want?

If in academia, then what level? If in the private sector, then doing what? I could probably give you some guidelines on salary expectations, but your query is along the lines of "What should we do to be happiest?" (Or richest?)

Here is a silly question for you. why bother replying to someones post if you don't have anything constructive/helpfull to add?
I will not bother replying to the other questions you posted because my answer will probably sound silly to an anally retentive pr1ck like you.
Ta 4 the info
Old Sep 5th 2006, 3:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a silly question for you. why bother replying to someones post if you don't have anything constructive/helpfull to add?
I will not bother replying to the other questions you posted because my answer will probably sound silly to an anally retentive pr1ck like you.
Ta 4 the info
Up to you mate. In fact, I likely have a great deal of constructive/helpful things to add, but without relevant information from you I can't tell what they might be.

Leb' wohl.
Old Sep 5th 2006, 9:37 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

we just want to live the dream thats all.
Well that's a 64 million dollar statement if I ever heard one.

What's your dreams? both of yours.
Is it
looking at mountains and the bay ( its sea water but there's land closer on the other side than some lakes )
or
career - Challenging and mentally simulated colleagues

or
is there some hobby that requires mountains and sea water?

Once you establish what your dreams are and not the general thought of nice mountain and sea scenes = wonderful life. You may be able to understand what is going to be needed and will be important in your surroundings. Which then helps us answer you specific questions as to those things.