Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary for non-drivers

Calgary for non-drivers

Old Nov 27th 2012, 1:36 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary for non-drivers

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I take public transport to work each day. Am I a local scum bag?
No you're not. I also found that comment a bit cheeky.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
If you are blonde 5' 10 single and under 30 im sure we could sort something out

Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

AncientMariner is an unknown quantity at this point

Rather be a scumbag than a monkey on wheels

Last edited by AncientMariner; Nov 27th 2012 at 3:18 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

beautiful050278 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i drive, i dont stand around in the cold with the local scum bags...you must think im crazy..having said that there is a kind of a park and ride in Mckenzie with covered stops.

I dont think the OP was looking for this sort of answear.

I have plenty of friends who use the public transport from Mckenzie. It is duable. My OH looked into it (works at Douglas Glen, which is few minutes from Quarry Park), he actually cycles in the summer months.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by beautiful050278
I have plenty of friends who use the public transport from Mckenzie.
Thanks beautiful. Thats a bit of a relief to know. Looking up on google maps it seemed 302 stops right outside on 52 st with no sign let alone a covered stop. Probably the covered stop was built afterwards. Great to know I wont be waiting there alone .

That is really my deciding factor between downtown or mckenzie towne. It would be easier to wait at a downtown bus stop in the morning considering it would be much less windy with more ppl around. However, the 302 ride will be much longer. Transit schedule and google says 30 mins, I am sure in winter times it could probably take 45+ mins.

Btw, I also looked into douglas glen. Cant find any rentals closer to 302 stops there.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:26 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't they building houses in Quarry Park itself too? May be worth checking for rentals there too and you can walk to work!

Also, the 302 is a fairly new route so google maps might not have quite caught up yet.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Flossie and Jim
Aren't they building houses in Quarry Park itself too? May be worth checking for rentals there too and you can walk to work!
Yes I tried searching for them. It seems there are no apartments there yet. Only houses being sold. Guess owners have not started renting rooms/basements out yet.
I am looking on rentfaster and Kijiji. Are there any other widely used classifieds?
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:06 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AncientMariner
Cheeky Monkey, Have you seen any ppl waiting at Mckenzie towne bus terminal in the morning? Is it a covered bus stop? Guess I dont want to be the only one standing there frozen stiff.
The BRT near McKenzie Towne Link SE doesn't look that covered to me, but they might still be working on it. There are bus shelters but there is zero protection against the cold, well some limited protection against the wind I guess.

If you actually look on Google Maps, you will see that there is a wide gap down the western edge of 52nd St SE (particularly noticeable from 130 Ave SE down to where the BRT is). This land is reserved for use for the LRT when it is built, originally it was going to be 2019 when it opened, but they decided the airport tunnel was more important than digging up downtown, so you're looking at 2023 before McKenzie Towne has the LRT.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverquest
transit system is a joke, outside of rush hour

try going for a night out and getting the bus home (in winter)
Mmm, well it depends on how you look at it. The LRT parking lots are emptier outside of business hours so it is easier to park and take the C-train. I'm usually sober enough by the time I get to the station to drive home.

This however assumes you have a car to get to the LRT. Or live within walking distance of it.
Old Nov 27th 2012, 5:55 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Steve_
Mmm, well it depends on how you look at it. The LRT parking lots are emptier outside of business hours so it is easier to park and take the C-train. I'm usually sober enough by the time I get to the station to drive home.

This however assumes you have a car to get to the LRT. Or live within walking distance of it.
am talking about catching a bus home from the c-train station
- live at west end of anderson rd - so quite a walk

bus loops around from anderson to southland and vice versa

annoying thing is leave almost identical times at 30 minute intervals

leave the car at home, if heading out for drinks
(i know it's not really the done thing here though...)
Old Nov 28th 2012, 2:22 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Thank you. Please explain what it is about those that take public transport that makes them scum bags, local or not.
I'm with you AC - I have used the C Train for the past 7 years from Calgary's deep south to downtown. There are certainly the occasional "characters" on the buses and trains but nothing compared to the amount of deranged drivers that call Calgary home.

After 30 plus years of horrific commutes in the UK we decided to become a one-car family when we moved to Calgary and try to depend on public transport wherever possible. It has been FINE. We chose our house on a bus route and as a back-up about 30 mins walk from the nearest C Train station.

I don't usually rise to people's comments on here but you were far too Cheeky there Mr Monkey!!

J