Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NEXUS news update

NEXUS news update

Old Nov 21st 2012, 2:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default NEXUS news update

I thought this was worth sharing:

NEXUS NEWS
Welcome to the official Newsletter that provides members with up-to-date information and enhancements to the program.

What’s New?

New Lanes and NEXUS Kiosks
• New NEXUS lanes are open at Douglas, British Columbia/Blaine, Washington; and Sarnia, Ontario / Port Huron, Michigan
• NEXUS crossing available at new locations at Huntingdon, British Columbia / Sumas, Washington; and Queenston, Ontario / Lewiston, New York
• NEXUS lane hours of operation are available through www.nexus.gc.ca
• New kiosk at the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport for entry into Canada

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Pre-Check expanded to
Canadian NEXUS members

Effective November 15, 2012, Canadian NEXUS members now enjoy TSA Pre-Check at 27 airports for domestic travel within the United States. For a list of participating airports see: http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...11-13-2012.pdf.

Residency Requirement

Spread the word! Effective June 30, 2012, Canadian and American citizens living outside of Canada or the United States or who have recently returned to either country are now eligible to apply for membership in the program.

Streamlined Renewal Process

For the majority of renewing members who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status, the renewal interview may be waived.

Traveller Benefits

NEXUS dedicated lines for Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) security screening at major airports offering NEXUS services have been expanded to all flights departing to the U.S.

Traveller Declaration Card (TDC)

Reporting goods is now made even easier: the TDC is now online in a saveable PDF fillable format and allows you to complete the majority of the fields only once. For more information please visit: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-vo...tions-eng.html.

Reminder: Your Membership Obligations

Keep your personal information on your NEXUS profile current. For address and passport information updates, NEXUS members can access the Global Online Enrollment System (GOES). If you did not apply to NEXUS using GOES, you can create an account by visiting www.nexus.gc.ca. For all other changes to your personal information and status, or to add a new passport to your profile, please visit a NEXUS Enrolment Centre.

Report all goods you plan to bring into Canada or the U.S. Please note that all food, plants and related products must be declared at the border. For details visit: www.beaware.gc.ca/english/toce.shtml.

Also report amounts equal to or greater than CAN$10,000, or its equivalent in a foreign currency, that you are bringing into or taking out of Canada. For details see: http://cbsa.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5052-eng.html.

No non-NEXUS members in the NEXUS lane. If travelling with a non-NEXUS member, please use the regular lanes.

Failure to comply with program obligations may result in card revocation.

Did You Know?

• If you have not done so, visit a NEXUS Enrolment Center today to have your irises scanned! This will allow you to use NEXUS self-serve kiosks for expedited entry into Canada or the U.S. at Canada ’s eight major international airports.
• To further expand the use of your NEXUS membership, you are encouraged to have your fingerprints taken at a NEXUS Enrolment Centre. This will allow you to use U.S. Global Entry (GE) kiosks when flying to the United States from anywhere in the world. For more information on Global Entry please visit: www.globalentry.gov.
• Third party service providers that offer application processing services may charge an additional processing fee which is not part of the official NEXUS application fee ($50 CAD or USD). Expedited services offered by such parties will not expedite your application process. We strongly encourage you to apply electronically through GOES or by paper available through the official NEXUS Web site: www.nexus.gc.ca.
• As of June 1, 2012, personal exemptions for residents of Canada have been increased. Please visit http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...-eng.html#s2x8.
For updates to the NEXUS program, please regularly visit the NEXUS Web site: www.nexus.gc.ca

Canada Border Services Agency
United States Customs and Border Protection
The bit about the residency requirement isn't accurate, they were aiming for June 30th but it didn't happen, it might be possible to do it now though, I haven't checked.

Also CBP is in the process of putting in the trusted traveller equipment at all land border POEs even if there is no NEXUS lane, they put them in at Sweet Grass recently, this speeds up your entry even though you have to sit in line waiting.

Also on the TSA pre-check thing, it sounds good in theory but a lot of the TSA staff don't seem to know what a NEXUS card is, I assume over time they'll get better at it.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NEXUS news update

Might be interesting to see how many BE members have NEXUS cards and use them. I have one and find no need to use it where I live though I can see the advantages of having one if flying into TO or Vancouver.
Now they are introducing ABC kiosks at select airports.
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/abc-paf-eng.html

There again how useful is a NEXUS card if travelling with non NEXUS members?
Transporting Non-NEXUS Members
If you are transporting persons into Canada or the United States that are not NEXUS members, you must use the regular lanes.
If the line up is that long how does your NEXUS card help if you cant get into the NEXUS lane or the NEXUS lanes are not open for business
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/la....html#where-ou
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:29 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

I looked at getting one a while back and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the bother. The time it would take to acquire one would be longer than the time I would save.

The UK biometric passport seems similar. I've only had the opportunity to use it twice. The first time was OK. The second time, the machine was closed. What's the point in the thing if you can't use it?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 3:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

After watching travellers use the NEXUS kiosks where I work CBSA and CBP should concentrate on a sysytem to see if the user is intelligent enough to be issued with one
HINT: The NEXUS machines are not ATMs and dispense a yellow coloured card and not money.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:37 pm
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

If I may ask, what is a "sysytem", is that like a new CBSA lingo or tool that we should be aware of?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
After watching travellers use the NEXUS kiosks where I work CBSA and CBP should concentrate on a sysytem to see if the user is intelligent enough to be issued with one
HINT: The NEXUS machines are not ATMs and dispense a yellow coloured card and not money.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:50 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I looked at getting one a while back and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the bother. The time it would take to acquire one would be longer than the time I would save.

The UK biometric passport seems similar. I've only had the opportunity to use it twice. The first time was OK. The second time, the machine was closed. What's the point in the thing if you can't use it?
I thought they'd given up on the biometric passport. Or they're making some major changes to it or something.

But NEXUS has saved my ass on a variety of occasions now. The one I remember the most was when a couple of flights were delayed so they all came into YYC at the same time and the line was out the door and up the hallway. I walked through with my NEXUS card and I got through faster than the crew on my flight did. It was worth the hassle of getting it just for that.

Should make connecting flights easier with the TSA pre-check as well.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I know lots of travellers are getting pissed off at NEXUS card holders being shuffled to the front of the security lines when flying domestically.
So you have a NEXUS card big deal you are still subject to the same checks if flying domestically
Sure you may save 5 or 10 minutes standing in line with the great unwashed but your flight is still leaving at the same time so what have you really achieved unless you get into the Timmys line a bit quicker and manage to snag the last Boston Creme donut
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:03 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

It makes a difference if the time between your connections is short, because you know you're going to spend less time in line so you have a greater choice of flights.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
It makes a difference if the time between your connections is short, because you know you're going to spend less time in line so you have a greater choice of flights.
Don't you have US immigration at your nearest airport then?
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:15 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

This isn't about immigration, this is about the TSA check before they let you board, NEXUS helps you with that too.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That part is true if having to connect and then go through security but flying domestically it doesnt make sense. Vancouver to Halifax for example non direct flight. You turn up at YVR and check in flight leaves at 7am. How is NEXUS an advantage here. Change in Toronto for flight to Halifax no need to go through security again (unless nipping out for a smoke) so again why NEXUS?
Im waiting for the day when everybody has NEXUS cards or Global Entry.
Everybody will still be in line waiting wont they
Oh wait a moment what happens when the frigging machines are not operating due to software issues?
Back in line I guess to see a human being then.
NEXUS does have its advantages dont get me wrong but its also a cash grab aimed at appearing to make travel seem faster.
There again on days like this a NEXUS card is faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgaJkO_6MpY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r15Q4...feature=fvwrel
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

How is it a cash grab? It's only $50. One could argue it's actually less expensive, because a passport costs $87. However you still need a passport to get past check-in due to a stupid outdated IATA rule, I suspect that will be scrapped eventually.

Also another thing I like about NEXUS is that it is a card you can fit in your wallet, don't understand why Canada doesn't have passport cards.

Really I think you just don't like the idea of being replaced by a machine.

It definitely does save time, because you're only taking into account going somewhere, but on the way back you cruise through immigration and are out to the parking lot or wherever much more quickly. And also the CATSA/TSA people don't check you over as thoroughly and who really prefers standing in line and being groped by security people rather than sitting at the gate?

And it saves huge amounts of time at land borders, I must have saved at least 20 minutes at Pacific Hwy border crossing. Even at Sweet Grass it was faster because they ask less questions.

CBP spend less time questioning me when I use it, it's usually a couple of brief questions at most. One time I was literally waved through.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How is it a cash grab? It's only $50. One could argue it's actually less expensive, because a passport costs $87. However you still need a passport to get past check-in due to a stupid outdated IATA rule, I suspect that will be scrapped eventually.

Also another thing I like about NEXUS is that it is a card you can fit in your wallet, don't understand why Canada doesn't have passport cards.

Really I think you just don't like the idea of being replaced by a machine.

It definitely does save time, because you're only taking into account going somewhere, but on the way back you cruise through immigration and are out to the parking lot or wherever much more quickly. And also the CATSA/TSA people don't check you over as thoroughly and who really prefers standing in line and being groped by security people rather than sitting at the gate?

And it saves huge amounts of time at land borders, I must have saved at least 20 minutes at Pacific Hwy border crossing. Even at Sweet Grass it was faster because they ask less questions.

CBP spend less time questioning me when I use it, it's usually a couple of brief questions at most. One time I was literally waved through.
NEXUS will never replace my job so Ive nothing to worry about.
What you dont hear about is the ones who use NEXUS and abuse the system which in turn leads to greater scrutiny at some places of NEXUS holders.
Believe me lots of NEXUS cards are revoked because travellers think they wont be checked.
As a holder of a NEXUS card and a passport I can honestly say unless short of time for a connecting flight or non checked in baggage traveller then you really dont save any time by using it.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 4:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

I strongly disagree.

As I recall from an article I was reading, the revocation figures for NEXUS cards are also a tiny figure which doesn't agree with what you've written.

Here is a study: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/agency-ag...nf-ne-eng.html

Last edited by Steve_; Nov 23rd 2012 at 4:57 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 6:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that governments make the rules about what documents are needed for travel, not IATA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.