Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Calgary Car Rent Debit Card

Calgary Car Rent Debit Card

Old Sep 24th 2019, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calgary Car Rent Debit Card

Hi all,

I've been doing as comprehensive a check as I can from the UK. My brother in law is driving but has no credit card, I do but don't drive. I notice a couple of places changed policy this year to allow debit cards.

I've checked through Expedia, Enterprise, Dollar, Thrifty, Alamo, Fox, Silverline, ect. There appears to be huge fees to pay on top of rental. Despite being Canadian and British I have to say it's far easier in the UK, Canada appear to be how the UK used to be.

Could anyone recommend anything? We may arrive 5pm on a Sat so likely would need Airport (crap as that can be) or shuttle to city and internal rental but at 6pm most places are closed from whay I see.

Anyone more knowledgeable?

Thank you in advance.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calgary Car Rent Debit Card

I'm feeling less knowledgeable rather than more - but whenever I rented cars in Canada before I moved here I just made the reservation, showed up, handed over my visa debit card, signed the papers, drove off.

This was using Budget, Hertz, Avis, between 2013-2016.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

DarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond reputeDarwinCharles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I'm feeling less knowledgeable rather than more - but whenever I rented cars in Canada before I moved here I just made the reservation, showed up, handed over my visa debit card, signed the papers, drove off.

This was using Budget, Hertz, Avis, between 2013-2016.
Thank you

I've been looking at them though the excess fees are like 3rd world extortion, some are $1000-3000. I'll check them out again! Thank you again.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 5:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

See posts in your other thread as well Trip to Edmonton
Don't rent from the airport - you will pay a premium. Take a shuttle to downtown / or a cab - have the car available for pick up next morning.. check your CC for CDW insurance..
https://www.associatedcab.ca/
https://www.airportshuttlecalgary.ca/
https://www.yyc.com/en-us/navigating...is,sedans.aspx

I just pulled this one up - using the link in my previous post on your other thread.. CDW included was an extra $69 for the week. One week rental - pick up Sunday downtown Calgary - drop off Saturday downtown Edmonton. Medium vehicle.. (they charge to drop off in different city) it will give you an idea at least
Attached Thumbnails Calgary Car Rent Debit Card-1-week-calgary-edmonton-rental.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 24th 2019 at 5:23 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
See posts in your other thread as well Trip to Edmonton
Don't rent from the airport - you will pay a premium. Take a shuttle to downtown / or a cab - have the car available for pick up next morning.. check your CC for CDW insurance..
https://www.associatedcab.ca/
https://www.airportshuttlecalgary.ca/
https://www.yyc.com/en-us/navigating...is,sedans.aspx

I just pulled this one up - using the link in my previous post on your other thread.. CDW included was an extra $69 for the week. One week rental - pick up Sunday downtown Calgary - drop off Saturday downtown Edmonton. Medium vehicle.. (they charge to drop off in different city) it will give you an idea at least
Thank you very much indeed! What a helpful bunch here! I was on the US page for years being engaged to a yank and what a heartless bunch.

I think we arrive 1515pm meaning out of border control by 5pm I hope. A taxi is coming up 45$ but we are there Sat evening Oct 26 until Nov 4th 12pm drop off. We also have to use a debit card as my in law doesn't have a credit card.. He cut his up as he's moving to Canada after Xmas. I got a UK broker quote today of £386 which is $634 including a deposit of $250 and full cover CDW but excess is $800! It's only firm that will take his debit card. What to do!?

I need to meet a nice Brit or Yank to grab us from the airport and drop us to a rental location. I have a dodgy heart rate and after that flight I'll be exhausted. ✈️🥴

I'm so very thankful for your help and assistance guys.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 3:52 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DarwinCharles
Thank you very much indeed! What a helpful bunch here! I was on the US page for years being engaged to a yank and what a heartless bunch.

I think we arrive 1515pm meaning out of border control by 5pm I hope. A taxi is coming up 45$ but we are there Sat evening Oct 26 until Nov 4th 12pm drop off. We also have to use a debit card as my in law doesn't have a credit card.. He cut his up as he's moving to Canada after Xmas. I got a UK broker quote today of £386 which is $634 including a deposit of $250 and full cover CDW but excess is $800! It's only firm that will take his debit card. What to do!?

I need to meet a nice Brit or Yank to grab us from the airport and drop us to a rental location. I have a dodgy heart rate and after that flight I'll be exhausted. ✈️� ����

I'm so very thankful for your help and assistance guys.
You are most welcome!

Buy a prepaid CC perhaps, $1000 balance? The reason the quote is so high and excess is high may be because you are paying by debit.. that's a ludicrous amount though.. I wouldn't use a broker in the UK, they often have a massive commission on these things ( I used to get 40% commission on vehicle rentals and insurance when I worked as a consolidator for a travel agency! ) I'd suggest booking direct with one of the rental firms (or use that link i gave earlier) and pay the deposit while you are in the UK, pay the balance by CC when you get to Canada.
Europecar and Routes will pick you up in their shuttle at the airport and take you to their office .. but they are not the cheapest.

Here's a couple of prepaid card options once you get to Canada..
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-ban...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.bmo.com/main/personal/cr...-credit-cards/

(tell your brother in law to hold on to his UK bank account for the time being, even after he has moved to Canada - he may need it at some point and once he severs ties to the UK - address, etc - he won't be able to open one again!)

UK prepaid:
https://www.mastercard.co.uk/en-gb/c...aid-cards.html

Fire away with any other questions you have, I'm sure someone will be able to help!

I thought we used to have a member who offered a meet and greet service, but I can't remember who! Anyone recall who it was? (Does anyone have some free time to volunteer for gas money perhaps)?

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 25th 2019 at 3:58 am.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hello

So, I checked and prepays aren't accepted at any locations. Sadly, we can only get a rental through a broker here and I'm extremely dubious about them but it's the only option we have.

I tried phoning a few directly, nobody can accept debit as a hold card for pick up. The broker wants to charge £386!! I almost wanted to cry as it's taking away a vital part of our budget.

​​​​​​. _.
Old Sep 27th 2019, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Eight years ago we used a company called car hire 3000. I've just googled and they have changed to rentalcars.com.

We didn't have a credit card on one of those trips so they were able to do it back then. Might be worth looking?
Old Sep 27th 2019, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Nice one! Thank you very much indeed! I fear getting there and being stranded. We don't have extra funds it's a real wing n prayer trip due to us all moving there after Xmas. Any help is welcome so thanks
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:01 am
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

The reason rental companies want a credit card is so they can charge fees, damages, and parking/traffic penalties to it.

Turo accepts: "Debit cards with a Visa or Mastercard logo that are linked to a checking account". Turo is like AirBnB, but for cars - so, other peoples cars. Have had good experiences with them, and you get to rent cars far more interesting than the airport rental econo-boxes. The price is usually lower too, and also includes an insurance policy, so you're all set.

Also, the owners will usually come drop the car off for you at the airport. Very handy. https://turo.com/
Old Sep 29th 2019, 6:16 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Photoplex
The reason rental companies want a credit card is so they can charge fees, damages, and parking/traffic penalties to it.

Turo accepts: "Debit cards with a Visa or Mastercard logo that are linked to a checking account". Turo is like AirBnB, but for cars - so, other peoples cars. Have had good experiences with them, and you get to rent cars far more interesting than the airport rental econo-boxes. The price is usually lower too, and also includes an insurance policy, so you're all set.

Also, the owners will usually come drop the car off for you at the airport. Very handy. https://turo.com/
Same with hotels. Although we were generally charging no show fee of one night room & tax for not showing and not cancelling, although every so often someone would damage the room and we would need to charge damages to a card, its difficult to impossible to do so with a debit card.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you all.

Update,
We went to Alamo, they accepted our Debit card. My bro in law is British and I'm dual. His banking is debit only, so as long as you have proof of rtn ticket back to the UK, they will rent you a car. In fact, we didn't opt for extras and still got a free upgrade!

The amount was frozen on the card and we didn't damage the car so all was good.

Thank you kindly everyone