Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Buying a car from a different province?

Buying a car from a different province?

Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:00 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Buying a car from a different province?

Hi,

We plan to move to NB and I fancy buying a Nissan Murano - very tempted to buy one here but holding off as it will be a waste if we are hopefully moving to NB this year. Anyway, there aren't many for sale in NB so could I buy one from NS? Would I have to pay any fees or extra tax?

Also, has anyone got one? Are they reliable?

Thanks in advance,
CB
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a car from a different province?

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

We plan to move to NB and I fancy buying a Nissan Murano - very tempted to buy one here but holding off as it will be a waste if we are hopefully moving to NB this year. Anyway, there aren't many for sale in NB so could I buy one from NS? Would I have to pay any fees or extra tax?

Also, has anyone got one? Are they reliable?

Thanks in advance,
CB
Cars have to be re-plated when you move provinces, so the answer is probably yes.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Cars have to be re-plated when you move provinces, so the answer is probably yes.
Do you not just have to replate it when the year is up? A plate doesn't cost much - you may have to get it safetied tho' From what hubby says they just check it's got 4 wheels and some lights
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:53 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Do you not just have to replate it when the year is up? A plate doesn't cost much - you may have to get it safetied tho' From what hubby says they just check it's got 4 wheels and some lights
In Alberta you are supposed to register any vehicle from another province within three months of it being brought into the province.

Prior to it being registered it must have an Out of Province inspection, could be the 4 wheels and light check you hubby was talking about.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 29th 2007, 10:58 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

If you pay provincial tax in NS it's possible you can get this back when you register the car out of province.

But you most likely will have to pay provincial tax in NB.

So most likely a lot of paper work and you'll end up paying virtually the same tax.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 1:09 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, I have just registered my new car (Honda CRV-SE) in Nova Scotia ($10.65) and have chosen a personalised plate for only $85.50. All personalised plates cost the same - well worth it (I think).

Minimum - 2 full characters (from digits 0 to 9 or letters A to Z).

Maximum - 7 characters (and can include blank space).

You submit 5 choices at your local Services Nova Scotia office and I was told there and then if they were available. The plate will be sent by post.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/snsmr/rmv/registration/

Last edited by Cookie; Jan 30th 2007 at 1:13 am.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:51 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Will have to investigate with Service NB I suppose. Many thanks for replies.

The personalised plates sound like a bargain
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Yes-can-do;4340145]Just out of interest, I have just registered my new car (Honda CRV-SE) in Nova Scotia ($10.65) and have chosen a personalised plate for only $85.50. All personalised plates cost the same - well worth it (I think).

A personal plate in alberta costs $212 - hubby came home last night and said 'Are you going to shout at me?' I said no course not thinking he had bought ANOTHER car (he only bought one on Friday - takes us up to 3.5 each ) so was quite relieved it was only a plate So we have a Jeep comming up for sale - just going in the body shop for fixing where the hooligans booted the door in......