Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

To Buy or Not to Buy - Ladies Fashion

To Buy or Not to Buy - Ladies Fashion

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 11:57 am
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice
Default Re: To Buy or Not to Buy - Ladies Fashion

Ive already asked my mum to send regular shipments of primark/new look stuff.

I noticed the last time i was there fashion was starting to catch up but oh how ill miss new look

Karen
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:35 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by IckleHelen
Hiya

It's about 12 months until we expect to land in Canada. I'm not sure whether I should stop buying clothes so I have less to ship (as we don't intend to get a container) or whether I should stock up in the UK sales. Don't really know the cost, quality or style of the clothes available out there.

I've heard bras sold in Canada aren't that comfortable so I've been stocking up on them, but don't know how everything else compares.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Helen

If you want to look smart for working as a teacher/office/ receptionist sort of job then I find nice clothes are expensive compared to the uk for the same sort of stuff. A lot of people recommend Reitmans as good and cheap. They are cheap but the quality is *rap, (sorry fans of reitmans but the clothes either stretch or shrink after two washes). So I go better quality and it is then expensive.

I totally agree with everyone else...... bras must be brought in the uk.

When I did return to the uk this march I did notice how much cheaper clothes were in the uk which I had not noticed as much in previous years.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure whether I should stop buying clothes so I have less to ship (as we don't intend to get a container)

No - I'm sorry - I don't understand !!

If you see something you like, buy it. You never know when it might disappear from the shelves forever

An extra suitcase of stuff may be worth it, expecially when it is full of well-fitting bra's Just don't lose weight, or put it on when you get here
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Agree about cheap stuff, I miss things like toddler jeans for 2GBP in Tesco or Asda, there's nothing like that here. It's the same crappy jeans here but they'll be about 12 dollars

Superstore is really trying to do an Asda with its "Joe" range, it's cheerful enough but sadly not as cheap.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Apr 23rd 2008 at 1:47 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hiya

It's about 12 months until we expect to land in Canada. I'm not sure whether I should stop buying clothes so I have less to ship (as we don't intend to get a container) or whether I should stock up in the UK sales. Don't really know the cost, quality or style of the clothes available out there.

I've heard bras sold in Canada aren't that comfortable so I've been stocking up on them, but don't know how everything else compares.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers
Helen
I was only thinking this myself the other day I too, am an odd size if you like and only La senza seem to have the best fitting bras for me! On that note I will be stocking up on my under wear before we leave on the paraffin budgie!!
Sue ....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I do find this obsession with M&S (or Next) bras quite strange.

Do British women have unusually shaped boobs?

Or is it the Canadians?

Or, is there some sort of correlation between a desire to emigrate and buxomness?

I think we should be told.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:37 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
With pictorial evidence?
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:38 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I do find this obsession with M&S (or Next) bras quite strange.

Do British women have unusually shaped boobs?

Or is it the Canadians?

Or, is there some sort of correlation between a desire to emigrate and buxomness?

I'll volunteer to do the research!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The_Bax
I'll volunteer to do the research!
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Just for the record, us British girls have very normal BOOBS!!!!!!!!!! Some of us girls are smaller round the rib cage and fuller in the boob and some are the opposite!! Anyway, more than a hand full is a waste, as quoted by my hubby!!
Hope this explains?????????????????

Sue....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I think Canadian styling is very different from European styling and not as fashionable.

I noticed on my last visit to Canada that the George range in Walmart is promoted as 'European Styling'.

As an Imelda Marcos, I have never been tempted to buy shoes from holidays in Canada to add to my international shoe collection. I feel fully justified in shipping over my rather large collection!!!!

I agree with comments re bras and underwear too.....
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

mart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nice

maybe british women want more lift and pert than canadians

less like an over the shoulder boulder holder
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:27 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss

I noticed on my last visit to Canada that the George range in Walmart is promoted as 'European Styling'.
The George range at Walmart is definitely not as appealing as George at Asda in the UK. I agree with the other posters about bras but I also find it difficult to find any attractive sweaters or cardigans as they are all 1950s styling or the colours are all wrong ie bubble gum pink.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:08 pm
Moved from Chester UK

IckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really niceIckleHelen is just really nice

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.

While I did mention about not wanting to buy clothes because I'd have to ship them, I'm also trying to save the money I would normally spend on clothes.

After reading through everyones posts I think I should only buy things I really really like and are a bargain. I'll take stock of my wardrobe in January and want I think I need I'll try to buy in the sales. I really love Jane Norman stuff and their sales are brilliant (50-70% off). I only shop there in the sales though, the rest of the time I'm a New Look girl.

The only thing I'm not decided on is Machine Washable suits. I don't do dry cleaning. What are your thoughts on stocking up on these? Do UK machine washable suits wash ok in Canadian Washing Machines? Can you buy Machine Washable suits out there? And do people tend to wear suites in offices that much anyway?

Last edited by IckleHelen; Apr 23rd 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

mart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nicemart2612 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
The George range at Walmart is definitely not as appealing as George at Asda in the UK. I agree with the other posters about bras but I also find it difficult to find any attractive sweaters or cardigans as they are all 1950s styling or the colours are all wrong ie bubble gum pink.
its stuff my granny would wear
Old Apr 24th 2008, 3:08 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mart2612
its stuff my granny would wear
I am a grannie and I won't wear a lot of the stuff. The only problems is I have had a lack of uk shopping for 7 months so the clothes are looking OK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.