British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   To Buy or Not to Buy - Ladies Fashion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/buy-not-buy-ladies-fashion-531401/)

jimmydean Apr 24th 2008 6:17 pm

Re: To Buy or Not to Buy - Ladies Fashion

Originally Posted by Twink001 (Post 6260798)
nail extensions a decent cut & blow dry and/or colour on our hair?
What about the trips to the beauty salon for eye brow tints, leg/bikini line waxing!

shush will you............I've told my wife that nothing like this exists in Canada...the women are far too sensible.....and thats why I want to go there.........:)

Twink001 Apr 24th 2008 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 6260845)
shush will you............I've told my wife that nothing like this exists in Canada...the women are far too sensible.....and thats why I want to go there.........:)

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::

I just cannot stop laughing! have you got your other half tied to the kitchen sink then?

:rofl::rofl:

Sue

jimmydean Apr 24th 2008 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Twink001 (Post 6260935)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::

I just cannot stop laughing! have you got your other half tied to the kitchen sink then?

:rofl::rofl:

Sue

lol.....hardly....no being serious I think she would be very happy with the idea that there was somewhere on earth that didn't do nail extensions, eye brow tints, manicures etc .................. but you are killing my dream...............

Twink001 Apr 24th 2008 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by jimmydean (Post 6261003)
lol.....hardly....no being serious I think she would be very happy with the idea that there was somewhere on earth that didn't do nail extensions, eye brow tints, manicures etc .................. but you are killing my dream...............

NO...NO.....NO.... your killing my dream! :frown:

A girl has to have some treats you know.

Sue :)

Edna Bucket Apr 24th 2008 6:56 pm

Yesterday I was dragged kicking and screaming into Walmart and was unable to find one single skirt in the "fashion" department :ohmy: You can however get jeans in just about any length from buttock clinging shorts to ones that drag the floor.
It's quite amusing in the summertime to see middle aged women wearing the kind of shorts that only look good on skinny fourteen year old girls :eek:

IckleHelen Apr 24th 2008 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket (Post 6261109)
Yesterday I was dragged kicking and screaming into Walmart and was unable to find one single skirt in the "fashion" department :ohmy: You can however get jeans in just about any length from buttock clinging shorts to ones that drag the floor.
It's quite amusing in the summertime to see middle aged women wearing the kind of shorts that only look good on skinny fourteen year old girls :eek:

So I don't need to stock up on Jeans then :thumbup:

IckleHelen Apr 24th 2008 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Twink001 (Post 6260798)
Ok then ladies, here`s a new question:

If we have stocked up on undies, woolly jumpers and thongs, how much do we have to dish out for things like nail extensions a decent cut & blow dry and/or colour on our hair?
What about the trips to the beauty salon for eye brow tints, leg/bikini line waxing!

If its costing loads for the undies and clothing i dread to think how much the above mentioned will cost :ohmy:

Could permanent hair removal be the answer???? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sue x :)

Good point. Not much for beauty treatments myself, but do have blonde highlights. I bet thats pricey.:thumbdown:

Twink001 Apr 24th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6261163)
Good point. Not much for beauty treatments myself, but do have blonde highlights. I bet thats pricey.:thumbdown:

I don`t do the beauty treatments much myself either, but I too have blonde highlights and I do like the nail extensions. i can live without the waxing though!!

Sue:)

Edna Bucket Apr 24th 2008 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6261160)
So I don't need to stock up on Jeans then :thumbup:

It depends on how much you want designer labels. I have always found that the best fitting jeans (for me) are not necessarily the ones with expensive labels so in that respect I am suited.

I think that overall I would describe myself as someone who doesn't want to dress like a catwalk model, but at the other end of the scale doesn't want to look frumpy. I sometimes find it difficult to get clothes that are in the middle of the two extremes.

mart2612 Apr 24th 2008 8:14 pm

its okay dont panic, before i made any serios commitment i checked out prices, a lot cheaper approx $55 for cut and colour and nails $20-40
lots of hairdressers and salons in Halifax. :thumbsup:
i went in to the atlantic superstore and thought they had some nice things - well better than walmart

Piff Poff Apr 24th 2008 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 6257083)
I am a grannie and I won't wear a lot of the stuff. :eek: The only problems is I have had a lack of uk shopping for 7 months so the clothes are looking OK :eek:

:rofl: You wait until it's been three years, you'll find yourself saying OOooH this is lovely and it'll be something you previousely would have labelled hideous:eek:

Edna Bucket Apr 24th 2008 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6262254)
:rofl: You wait until it's been three years, you'll find yourself saying OOooH this is lovely and it'll be something you previousely would have labelled hideous:eek:

:rofl:

Piff Poff Apr 24th 2008 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6261163)

I pay $80 for highlights and a cut & blowdry AND my hairdresser is English so he knows what a fringe is etc and he usually has an English newspaper for me to read too:thumbsup:

bazzz Apr 24th 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6262272)
he usually has an English newspaper for me to read too:thumbsup:

Which one?

Purley Apr 24th 2008 11:55 pm

Lorna is a young granny. She is a really young looking 85. I am a really old looking 103!!

If I don't lose a bit of weight I won't even fit into the clothes over here - let alone the UK styles, because all the grannies I ran into seemed to be wearing the clothes that teenagers wear over here - at least what I mean is - in Regina!! It's my impression that people my age in Regina don't care all that much about clothes - or maybe its just me!

Lorna_D Apr 25th 2008 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6262254)

I know what you mean, I think it's happening already :eek::rofl:

Originally Posted by lizwil98 (Post 6262369)
Lorna is a young granny. She is a really young looking 85. I am a really old looking 103!!

If I don't lose a bit of weight I won't even fit into the clothes over here - let alone the UK styles, because all the grannies I ran into seemed to be wearing the clothes that teenagers wear over here - at least what I mean is - in Regina!! It's my impression that people my age in Regina don't care all that much about clothes - or maybe its just me!

You cheeky bugger Liz :rofl: anyway you don't look a day over 101 :p

I agree, in Regina people are very casual in their dress even in the business area. Which after years of dressing up is great.

littletwinkle46 Apr 25th 2008 7:38 am

suzy shier is quite good i found, loads of cheap t-shirts and smart trousers,
it'll be my new look!
A french manicure cost me $15 in scarborough

Karen

Londonuck Apr 25th 2008 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Biiiiink (Post 6259645)
Blimey, I just looked, that's 100% pure cashmere!

I just wear plain thin jumpers in the winter, and there was no timeless plain stuff here that wasn't acrylic. The ones made of decent wool had rubbish like flowers or polar bears or glittery bits on them - *spit* :unsure: I missed M&S then.

I remember going into American Eagle in Vancouver about 7 years ago and asking did they sell Abercrombe. Bloke said, no they dont sell outside the states but our stuff is actually better. I just smiled and said do you honestly believe that mate.

Good Stussy t-shirts in Metrotown though. Cheaper than here.

Londonuck Apr 25th 2008 8:41 am

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6262277)
Which one?

Just north of France near Ireland

:D

Piff Poff Apr 25th 2008 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6262277)
Which one?

Oh, he usually has the Express. (ducks the firing squad:rofl:)

moondevil Apr 25th 2008 10:01 pm

Right need to do shopping list......

Get my supply of jeans from next as they are the only ones that i like :o
buy loads of bras and knicks to last ...
Tops and t-shirts better stock up on, ok thats sorted

kids can have there carry on bags and the suitcases are mineeeeeeee

hubby will be fine, hell be wearing his work clothes, kids well they have weird fashion anyway and my little one is into dora, so shell be sorted for yearssssssss

I think they need to let there mum have all the suitcase space :thumbsup:

IckleHelen Apr 26th 2008 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6250752)
I would stock up on undies (men and women).

Whats wrong with Canadian knickers?

Elaine B. Apr 26th 2008 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6268893)

they're lined with beaver fur:rofl:

IckleHelen Apr 26th 2008 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B. (Post 6268898)
they're lined with beaver fur:rofl:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really whats wrong with them?

IckleHelen Apr 26th 2008 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6255614)
The only thing I'm not decided on is Machine Washable suits. I don't do dry cleaning. What are your thoughts on stocking up on these? Do UK machine washable suits wash ok in Canadian Washing Machines? Can you buy Machine Washable suits out there? And do people tend to wear suites in offices that much anyway?

Anyone got any opinions on office wear? :unsure:

Elaine B. Apr 26th 2008 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6268905)
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Really whats wrong with them?

you're just weird:eek: I think I like you:thumbup:

mart2612 Apr 26th 2008 11:28 pm

ok been to primark and stocked up on everything:thumbsup:
now its all you guys fault i cant fit everything in the cases got to decide what goes in container and what doesnt:confused:

Piff Poff Apr 27th 2008 12:33 am

Remember I live in a City of a population of 80 summat thousand. Until last Christmas the only undies I could find for hubby was boxers (which he doesn't like) or Y fronts:eek: This Christmas though he got three packs of pants - George of Asda fame:thumbsup:

As for the ladies, it's either Fruit of the loom, Hip huggers or wedgie makers (thongs). I have had trouble finding pretty lacey knickers, so if you see some knickers you like get'em:thumbsup:

Rhodeys Apr 27th 2008 12:40 am

Good advice Piff Poff!

I just got a nice £300 order of pants and bras from Figleaves....I have read too much about dodgey underwear in Canada :rofl:

Thats my excuse and if my husband comes on this site please tell him the same :rofl:

IckleHelen Apr 27th 2008 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Piff Poff (Post 6270263)
Remember I live in a City of a population of 80 summat thousand. Until last Christmas the only undies I could find for hubby was boxers (which he doesn't like) or Y fronts:eek: This Christmas though he got three packs of pants - George of Asda fame

I'll have to tell OH to get extra undies too!

daft batty Apr 27th 2008 1:22 pm

They go baggy, or maybe I bought the wrong size:rofl:

Edna Bucket Apr 27th 2008 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Rhodeys (Post 6270275)

Thats my excuse and if my husband comes on this site please tell him the same :rofl:

Nah! tell him you got them in Matalan. He won't check will he?

Tracie107 Apr 27th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by burton bunch (Post 6251602)
Rumour is that Next are considering overseas delivery service :thumbsup: My mom is coming out in June so will get her to get me a couple of new bras etc from Next.

Gaynor
x

I love NEXT and this is one thing I am going to miss (sorry)! But I did contact them and ask if they were going to expand further a field like they have in Europe. They stated the export cost were too expensive for them to consider America or Canada.

Lorna_D Apr 28th 2008 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket (Post 6273012)
Nah! tell him you got them in Matalan. He won't check will he?

Matalan v Figleave :wub:mmm I'd definitely know the difference but a man :blink::confused:, yep I think you're right edna :thumbup:

Littletashy Apr 28th 2008 8:53 pm

Whilst discussing, this thread that I have perused but not entered, over sunday dinner yesterday, and the lack of lovely undies in Canada, my dad.... yes I said, DAD, offered to send me them in the post from M&S when I need them:ohmy:

Bless his kindness:wub:, but will ask my mum when the time comes:thumbsup: do you think they'll pay too?:rofl::rofl:

Lorna_D Apr 28th 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 6279476)
Whilst discussing, this thread that I have perused but not entered, over sunday dinner yesterday, and the lack of lovely undies in Canada, my dad.... yes I said, DAD, offered to send me them in the post from M&S when I need them:ohmy:

Bless his kindness:wub:, but will ask my mum when the time comes:thumbsup: do you think they'll pay too?:rofl::rofl:

What a lovely Dad :wub: yes I bet they'll pay too us parents are like that :wub: and because it's his daughter I bet your dad wouldn't be too embarassed to ask for the size. :lol:

Littletashy Apr 28th 2008 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Lorna_D (Post 6279516)
What a lovely Dad :wub: yes I bet they'll pay too us parents are like that :wub: and because it's his daughter I bet your dad wouldn't be too embarassed to ask for the size. :lol:

I bet he would:rofl::rofl:

The_Bax Apr 29th 2008 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 6279559)
I bet he would:rofl::rofl:

I'd ask for you Tashy:wub:

Littletashy Apr 29th 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by The_Bax (Post 6281134)
I'd ask for you Tashy:wub:

Ha ha Ha, I'd let you, you know especially if your paying...mind you i'd expect better than M&S from my stalker:rofl::rofl:;)

The_Bax Apr 29th 2008 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 6281415)
Ha ha Ha, I'd let you, you know especially if your paying...mind you i'd expect better than M&S from my stalker:rofl::rofl:;)

Nothing's better than TKMaxx!:wub: