Burnaby

Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

AandT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Burnaby

Hello everyone, this is our first post.

We are looking at moving to BC in August of 2009. My wife has secured a position within Providence Health and we are now waiting on work permits and CRNBC clearance.
As she will be working in downtown Vancouver, and I may also be (but could be working in Burnaby), we are looking at where we base ourselves. We have two children of school age (they will be 10 and 8 by the time we get out there) and we have considered Burnaby as a place to live - initially to rent but then eventually to buy.

Are there any members out there that could give the benefit of their experience of Burnaby neighbourhoods. Obviously we would like convenience for Sky Train and also good schools, but genrally a nice family neighbourhood.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony
Old Nov 19th 2008, 9:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Burnaby

If you need to be near a Sky Train line then the best area is probably north of the Lougheed Hwy towards Burnaby Mountain. The Millenium line runs along the Lougheed Highway. The Expo line runs parralel to Kingsway through still OK, but generally less desirable, areas.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 10:08 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AandT
...we have considered Burnaby as a place to live - initially to rent but then eventually to buy.
It's a bit like Birmingham, with trucks.

R.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

chopperchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Tony,

I have recently come out as a nurse employed by fraser health and I work in Burnaby, when I initially got here I took a short term rent in North Burnaby for 2 months...I really liked the area especially around conferderation park, so anything north of Hastings and east of Gilmore, this is not so near the skytrain but there is a good bus service to downtown. There are alots of other nice areas; however, there are lots of less desirable like any big city. I now live in Port Moody which I really like, I have a 9 year old son and he is enjoying the area. My advice would be try and find a short term rent then look at the areas yourself as then you can get a real feel for schools, parks and leisure stuff. Hope my info helps a wee bit...good luck with your plans.

Carole-Ann
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:48 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AandT
Hello everyone, this is our first post.

We are looking at moving to BC in August of 2009. My wife has secured a position within Providence Health and we are now waiting on work permits and CRNBC clearance.
As she will be working in downtown Vancouver, and I may also be (but could be working in Burnaby), we are looking at where we base ourselves. We have two children of school age (they will be 10 and 8 by the time we get out there) and we have considered Burnaby as a place to live - initially to rent but then eventually to buy.

Are there any members out there that could give the benefit of their experience of Burnaby neighbourhoods. Obviously we would like convenience for Sky Train and also good schools, but genrally a nice family neighbourhood.

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony
There was an article in this months' BC Business about how great Surrey was becoming.

When we thought about moving to BC we thought seriously about Burnaby. Watch out for what house prices are doing though - make sure they hit botto; before you buy.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

AandT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for the info, it gives us a start point.

Oh - and regarding the point about Birmingham with trucks, tell me somewhere that isn't truck free. In our small North Yorkshire market town you have to leap for your life as they often mount the pavement to get through, so I think we can cope with Burnaby!

Carole-Ann - a further question, did you used to get the bus to downtown Vancouver from North Burnaby? If so what hours does it run (bearing in mind my wife will work shifts) and how long would it take?

Tony
Old Nov 20th 2008, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

dplumber21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chopperchick
Hello Tony,

I have recently come out as a nurse employed by fraser health and I work in Burnaby, when I initially got here I took a short term rent in North Burnaby for 2 months...I really liked the area especially around conferderation park, so anything north of Hastings and east of Gilmore, this is not so near the skytrain but there is a good bus service to downtown. There are alots of other nice areas; however, there are lots of less desirable like any big city. I now live in Port Moody which I really like, I have a 9 year old son and he is enjoying the area. My advice would be try and find a short term rent then look at the areas yourself as then you can get a real feel for schools, parks and leisure stuff. Hope my info helps a wee bit...good luck with your plans.

Carole-Ann
hi Carole Ann
I hope you read this message of mine coz im considering to work as well in burnaby hospital, hows the work out there anyway, and the place to live coz i have two children is it really better there than here in uk, thanks
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Hello Tony,

There is a direct bus that runs along Hastings number 160, if you look at the Vancouver Translink website it gives you all the transport, monday to friday bus starts about 5.30 from north burnaby and takes 20-30 minutes to downtown. However at the weekend it doesn't start till later so might not work out too well for shifts. There may be less direct buses that start earlier and that could link you to a skytrain. As I said before the best thing to do is look for somewhere when you are out here as you can then see the areas and everything that goes with them. Hope that helps, Good luck with it all.

Carole-Ann
Old Nov 21st 2008, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Hello dplumber21

I do not work in Burnaby hospital, I am in the community. There are things i really miss about the nhs and you realise that it isn't such a bad system. I am sure there are some nurses already working in the hospital setting on the site that can give you a better picture of what it is like. I think it has been a good move for me and I think for the children it is good, my son has settled in really well and seems to like it. Burnaby as I said in the previous reply is a typical city but there are some really nice areas in and around Burnaby. I would say cost of living is similar to the UK some things cheaper here and some cheaper UK. Hope this is helpful, good luck with all your plans.

Carole-Ann
Old Nov 21st 2008, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

scottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the roughscottymallo is a jewel in the rough

www.city.burnaby.bc.ca gives loads of good info!!!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Hello dplumber21

I do not work in Burnaby hospital, I am in the community. There are things i really miss about the nhs and you realise that it isn't such a bad system. I am sure there are some nurses already working in the hospital setting on the site that can give you a better picture of what it is like. I think it has been a good move for me and I think for the children it is good, my son has settled in really well and seems to like it. Burnaby as I said in the previous reply is a typical city but there are some really nice areas in and around Burnaby. I would say cost of living is similar to the UK some things cheaper here and some cheaper UK. Hope this is helpful, good luck with all your plans.

Carole-Ann
thanks carole ann for your reply, again i'm going to ask you how long does it takes to process all the papers, which one is better twp or pr? and how's fraser health as an employer, regarding the medical benefitss do you need to pay prescription or free.. thanks again
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:34 am
Just Joined

Hello dplumber21,

Well I am out on a TWP because it was the quickest route, once you are in post for 3 months, you can apply via PNP. Fraserhealth seems ok as an employer no complaints so far. Yes the medical coverage does cover prescriptions but that doesn't kick in till your first 3 months are up. The holiday allowance isn't as good as the uk but it seems ok compared to other Canadian employers. Sick leave you have to accrue so another thing not as good as the NHS. I applied for my TWP in January 08 and it came through 26 March 2008 so not too long.

Carole-Ann
Old Nov 27th 2008, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Hello dplumber21,

Well I am out on a TWP because it was the quickest route, once you are in post for 3 months, you can apply via PNP. Fraserhealth seems ok as an employer no complaints so far. Yes the medical coverage does cover prescriptions but that doesn't kick in till your first 3 months are up. The holiday allowance isn't as good as the uk but it seems ok compared to other Canadian employers. Sick leave you have to accrue so another thing not as good as the NHS. I applied for my TWP in January 08 and it came through 26 March 2008 so not too long.

Carole-Ann
dear carole ann

thanks for your reply its enlighten me, i have another question 4 u I hope u dont mind, if i receive the letter of employment from fraser health can i apply immediately for twp? how about medical exams? all in all how many months i need to wait before i can work in canada