Bugs

Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:03 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Bugs

Originally Posted by iaink
Are you sure you are not working near poison ivy or sumac, as that's what the blisters from that look like too...
Originally Posted by Simon Legree
Funny you should say that. I was thinking the very same thing. The blister certainly doesn't look like a mozzie bite.
I'll third that.

I don't know of any insect that actually creates blisters when they bite or sting.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:06 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I'll third that.

I don't know of any insect that actually creates blisters when they bite or sting.
That was my take on it. Nothing that I could think of and certainly not a mozzie, and not a blister like that one.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 2:12 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Sorry to tell you that it does not matter how long you live here, it does not get any better. Been here for 40 odd years and still have large welts when they bite. They also seem to love Uk blood.
FWIW I used to come up in huge golf ball sized welts every time, but after a few years here it got better, and now I dont hardly notice bites after the initial itch unless they are in a rubbing spot. So for some people at least there is hope that their immune system will develop to cope less aggressively.

But I still think that's more likely poison ivy than a mozzie.

As for bug spray that works, if Im working up a sweat or heading off into wooded areas with a lot of mossies then I stick to the higher DEET % Backwoods Off in the aerosol can rather than the lower concentration less oily "skintastic" pump spray version. It works well, but smell awful and eats plastic!

Has anyone tried the non oily "off" I've seen advertised? Wondering how it is, because I don't much care for the heavy duty spray to be honest, even though it does a good job.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 25th 2009 at 2:27 pm.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:19 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll third that.

Originally Posted by Simon Legree
That was my take on it. Nothing that I could think of and certainly not a mozzie, and not a blister like that one.
I've seen mosquito bites like it. It's not that rare.

Note: It's an allergic reaction, not the bite 'creating a blister'
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I've seen mosquito bites like it. It's not that rare.

Note: It's an allergic reaction, not the bite 'creating a blister'
I stand corrected.

I've not seen it but that just proves I don't get out much.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 3:46 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected.

I've not seen it but that just proves I don't get out much.
I saw it a few times in Thailand. Lots of mosquitoes [is that right? firefox spell checker says it is but it doesn't look right to me] there too. I've not seen it in Canada, but as Oink says there aren't that many bitey insects around Vancouver for the most part.

Edit to add: none of this means you are wrong to suggest poison ivy - only the OP can answer that.
Old Sep 25th 2009, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Seedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant futureSeedubs has a brilliant future

A quote from the NHS over here:

Midges, mosquitoes, and gnats

Bites from midges, mosquitoes, and gnats often cause small papules (lumps) to form on your skin that are usually very itchy. If you are particularly sensitive to insect bites, bullae (blisters) or weals (circular, fluid-filled areas surrounding the bite) may develop.

Mosquito bites in certain areas of tropical countries can cause malaria.
I get lumps, lots of swelling but rarely blisters, but I have know others to.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:12 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?
Any ideas would be appreciated?
Yes I have had this kind of reaction, I take antihistamine, and that does not stop it. The worst it has ever been was after visiting Canada last year, I flew back to the UK and was wheel chaired off the plane straight to hospital, I had been bitten on my feet, the swelling was terrible, and I had two enormous blisters. I could not walk properly for three weeks.

I have had this happen in the UK, France and Canada.

I am planning to a lot of research this winter to see if I can do anything else, Vitamin B has been mentioned to me, as has yeast.

Found this photo, it is from last year................. I was on antibiotics for two weeks and ordered to put my feet up they were so swollen, the hospital was very worried about the infection spreading.

The children and I named the larger blister Boris.
Attached Thumbnails Bugs-image000.jpg  

Last edited by purple80; Sep 26th 2009 at 3:23 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I had a bad reaction a couple months ago on my knee and it blistered and went a bit septic, that was the worst as usually just get very big lumps and itches like hell
Old Sep 26th 2009, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I react very badly to mozzies too - usually just huge red itchy lumps, but I do get the odd blister like in that picture as well.

And they seem to take an age to heal
Old Sep 27th 2009, 12:59 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Vinegar seems to deter them. I tried it this year as an experiment and it seemed relatively effective. I am planning to conduct an experiment next season by visiting mozzie infested areas with different types of protection to see what is most effective.
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:49 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Vinegar seems to deter them. I tried it this year as an experiment and it seemed relatively effective. I am planning to conduct an experiment next season by visiting mozzie infested areas with different types of protection to see what is most effective.
I read your vinegar experiment, but not sure I want to smell like a pickle?
Will watch out for next years experiments....

Charlie
Old Sep 27th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Poor old Mr Miggins got bitten alive up in Northern Alberta this summer (I think it was Pine Lake??). Like yourselves the bugs just laughed (apparently you can hear them if you listen hard enough) at the idea of bug spray, so he was left with no other option that to wear a FULL BUG SUIT while flying a helicopter in plus 30C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So yep, the bugs can be little Bs here and deserve 10 out of 10 for being tenacious!

Good luck with the bug repellant and let us know when you have it figured, because I know one person who would just love to hear more about it!

Mrs M X
Old Sep 27th 2009, 8:34 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by purple80
I read your vinegar experiment, but not sure I want to smell like a pickle?
Will watch out for next years experiments....

Charlie
I tried it this year for a couple of outings and it did work. The pickled onion smell only lasts for a short while. No one licked my arms or neck to tell me if I still tasted like a pickle though