Bugs

Old Sep 24th 2009, 10:43 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bugs

I have searched but not finding and answer to my question.

I am still getting badly biten by the bugs, I work outdoors and the mosquitoes are eating me alive. Now some of my bites don't bother me but I have taken a reaction to some of them and keep having this reaction. I get large blisters and huge lumps under my skin where the bug has bitten. Is it because I've never been bitten my mossies before?

This is agony and really wondered if I will become more immune to the bites as I live here more and more each year?

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?

I have tried so many things to combat them but with no avail, they are becoming quite painful and annoying, oh and bug spray isn't working now, it worked at the start of the summer and then the bugs went away again and since the hot weather came back a new tougher breed of mosquitoes seem to be back in town.

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:12 am
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bugs

out of interest where in NS are you? We were at a party in Dartmouth last week and the mozzies were terrible! We don't have any left here in Shubie now and we are in the country!

I get bitten badly too and the bug spray seems to make no difference, I just tend to hide indoors when they are really bad, not much help to you I know sorry but winter is coming so we will be rid of them for a while anyway

oh and make sure to take antihistimines if you are getting a bad reaction.

Last edited by Louisecooke; Sep 24th 2009 at 11:14 am. Reason: added a bit
Old Sep 24th 2009, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to tell you that it does not matter how long you live here, it does not get any better. Been here for 40 odd years and still have large welts when they bite. They also seem to love Uk blood.

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I have searched but not finding and answer to my question.

I am still getting badly biten by the bugs, I work outdoors and the mosquitoes are eating me alive. Now some of my bites don't bother me but I have taken a reaction to some of them and keep having this reaction. I get large blisters and huge lumps under my skin where the bug has bitten. Is it because I've never been bitten my mossies before?

This is agony and really wondered if I will become more immune to the bites as I live here more and more each year?

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction?

I have tried so many things to combat them but with no avail, they are becoming quite painful and annoying, oh and bug spray isn't working now, it worked at the start of the summer and then the bugs went away again and since the hot weather came back a new tougher breed of mosquitoes seem to be back in town.

Any ideas would be appreciated?
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Louisecooke
out of interest where in NS are you? We were at a party in Dartmouth last week and the mozzies were terrible! We don't have any left here in Shubie now and we are in the country!

I get bitten badly too and the bug spray seems to make no difference, I just tend to hide indoors when they are really bad, not much help to you I know sorry but winter is coming so we will be rid of them for a while anyway

oh and make sure to take antihistimines if you are getting a bad reaction.
Yeah I take antihistamines and all the other stuff under the sun and unfortunately I work outdoors and get eaten alive, it's even making me want to change jobs for that reason. lol

Oh and I'm in Dartmouth, I work in Waverly.
Attached Thumbnails Bugs-dsc01411.jpg  
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Sorry to tell you that it does not matter how long you live here, it does not get any better. Been here for 40 odd years and still have large welts when they bite. They also seem to love Uk blood.
Boo
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Emma I never got bitten quite so badly this year and surprisingly I never got bitten in the head like I normally do. Still got bitten around the back of my neck though, legs and arms though.

I have been bitten twice the last couple of days - I didn't realise the mozzies were back. If you have multiple bites and swellings you should consider an antihistamine pill - make sure it's non-drowsy for daytime. Also buy some small gel packs and put them on the bites instead of scratching. Dab on Benedryl cream too and use Afterbite as soon as you notice you have been bitten. I once had an infected bite and was told to bath the area in epsom salts and water then put on antibiotic cream and a dressing.

You may build up some resistance over the next couple of years. You also learn NOT to scratch because that's what causes it to swell and itch MORE.

For all that stuff you will of course have to invest in a new rucksack to carry it around in

PS Emma, I have never seen a bite blister like that. Normally the skin and tissue swell at the same time. Are you sure that's not caused by a something else or you may have caused it to blister due to excessive scratching? That blister should be covered because when it bursts you will be open to infection.

Last edited by Cookie; Sep 24th 2009 at 12:11 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Louisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond reputeLouisecooke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Yeah I take antihistamines and all the other stuff under the sun and unfortunately I work outdoors and get eaten alive, it's even making me want to change jobs for that reason. lol

Oh and I'm in Dartmouth, I work in Waverly.
yes those mozzies that are in Dartmouth at the moment do seem to be very nasty!

Never seen anything as bad as that bite though, that's not normal, I'd go see a doctor see if they can prescribe anything stronger, that looks really painful
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie
Emma I never got bitten quite so badly this year and surprisingly I never got bitten in the head like I normally do. Still got bitten around the back of my neck though, legs and arms though.

I have been bitten twice the last couple of days - I didn't realise the mozzies were back. If you have multiple bites and swellings you should consider an antihistamine pill - make sure it's non-drowsy for daytime. Also buy some small gel packs and put them on the bites instead of scratching. Dab on Benedryl cream too and use Afterbite as soon as you notice you have been bitten. I once had an infected bite and was told to bath the area in epsom salts and water then put on antibiotic cream and a dressing.

You may build up some resistance over the next couple of years. You also learn NOT to scratch because that's what causes it to swell and itch MORE.

For all that stuff you will of course have to invest in a new rucksack to carry it around in
Unfortunately I have tried all those options and take benedryl cream and tables, I've bought after bite, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, calamine lotion, salt, different antihistamines tablets, been to the doctors.

Hmpptp
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:15 pm

yes those mozzies that are in Dartmouth at the moment do seem to be very nasty!

Never seen anything as bad as that bite though, that's not normal, I'd go see a doctor see if they can prescribe anything stronger, that looks really painful
Yeah it's weird they weren't that nasty at the height of summer, just seems to be now, I did get badly bitten a few months back and they blistered too. I just was hoping for a cure I guess.. lol oh well
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Cookie
Dab on Benedryl cream too and use Afterbite as soon as you notice you have been bitten

I think this is the problem I don't realise I've been bitten and it's not until the next day when the swelling starts so I haven't even had a chance to scratch them, I sometimes only notice them for example when my sweater rubs on my arm and I feel an itch.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

my brother swears by marmite for midges back home, don't know if it works for mozzies though. (he eats it on toast, he doesn't spread it on himself )
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:20 pm

my brother swears by marmite for midges back home, don't know if it works for mozzies though. (he eats it on toast, he doesn't spread it on himself )
Yeah someone mentioned that to me, haven't tried it yet but maybe it's because I don't like it, but I would shovel it down my throat if it worked. lol
Old Sep 24th 2009, 12:26 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Emma were you wearing anything that would rub on the bite eg socks. When you moved around the sock will cause friction on your bite causing it to possibly blister.

The itchiest bites are often around the feet because footwear constantly rubs on it.

PS are you at home??
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing further to add, except the dispiriting note that once you get used to the biting insects here you seem to lose your immunity to midges etc., in the UK. I went camping in Scotland after many years in Canada and suffered badly from the midges, but as a kid I hardly nticed a midge bite.
Old Sep 24th 2009, 9:21 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I think blisters are a fairly common reaction to insect bites (bullae I think they are called when they are like that). Fortunately for me, I've never been bitten by a mosquito and so wouldn't know what they feel like or what to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.