Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

British TV in Canada

British TV in Canada

Old Aug 9th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all
Default British TV in Canada

Just wondering if any body has used this soft ware yet and if so what do you think. Also is it legal?
[url]http://uktvcanada.com/

Last edited by woodywoodside; Aug 9th 2011 at 9:45 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:38 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British TV in Canada

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Just wondering if any body has used this soft ware yet and if so what do you think. Also is it legal?
http://uktvcanada.com/
Linky no worky try to put a space betwen the URL and the smiley in future.

Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Ex-Pat Shield, for free?

Or any other VPN service which is probably cheaper generally...
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Linky no worky try to put a space betwen the URL and the smiley in future.

Thank you
Old Aug 9th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still waiting for a service that offers UK TV channels with an 8 hour delay.
Old Aug 9th 2011, 11:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
I'm still waiting for a service that offers UK TV channels with an 8 hour delay.
Slingbox and a DVR....or a cheeky torrent on demand...
Old Aug 10th 2011, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

Expatshield works well for me, I can access BBC iplayer and itv player, 4 on demand doesn't work. If you have someone in the uk who will give you their sky log in, youshould be ableto get that as well. Iplayer let's you watch
And now download as well. You can evenwatch live tv
Old Aug 10th 2011, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

plattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of lightplattsa is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that - I've been using things like rojadirecta.me and atdhe.me with a view to avoiding peer to peer streaming for legal reasons, but haven't looked into expatshield.

By the way is anyone else having problems with the (open access) cricket stream this morning? When I click the listen link I have a very stuttering stream.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/9560034.stm
Old Aug 10th 2011, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Try this one ---->

Click Link

Another link
Old Aug 10th 2011, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

I had a quick look about this last night, and found a Firefox add-on called "Stealthy" which is free, and provides their own Proxies so you don't have to keep trying to find ones that work.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ddon/stealthy/

Not crazy complicated to set up, but once you go to your Add-on set up screen on Firefox you adjust the Stealthy preferences to GB (for UK). I watched the first few minutes on the iPlayer before deciding I was happy with it and going to bed! Tonight I will try and set it to US (for err... US) and see if I can access Hulu like I can with HotSpotShield. (HotSpotShield drives me crazy with ads so I try to avoid it)

Hope that helps!

Edit: I just re-read your question, and I can't say whether or not it works for live streaming on iPlayer yet, or any other UK channels.

Last edited by conjonway; Aug 10th 2011 at 4:45 pm. Reason: About living streaming
Old Aug 10th 2011, 6:32 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by conjonway
I had a quick look about this last night, and found a Firefox add-on called "Stealthy" which is free, and provides their own Proxies so you don't have to keep trying to find ones that work.
I was just looking at some reviews of this and see some people found that some of their access to "regular" sites was blocked even when the feature was disabled.

Has anyone else used this problem free or with a problem but easily fixed?
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just tried Stealthy and not working for me I can get on to the channel and then it just keeps saying error.
Old Aug 10th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

conjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond reputeconjonway has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodywoodside
Just tried Stealthy and not working for me I can get on to the channel and then it just keeps saying error.
Are you trying to watch live streaming? Afraid I didn't get to try that yet with stealthy.

I did watch the 6 nations live by using a proxy. Whilst it worked easily for iplayer, to watch live I needed to fiddle with Internet explorer settings (even though I was using firefox to watch).

Afraid I'm no expert, sorry
Old Aug 10th 2011, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to allrich07 is a name known to all

You can live stream iplayer through expatshield
Old Aug 11th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Can I just add a word of warning about using random proxies or software to mask your IP address.

There is of course a security risk here - you do not know who is monitoring traffic through these proxy services or if the software you install on your computer like ExPatShield is doing anything other than just masking your IP and you would not know unless you reverse engineered it or sat with a packet sniffer running.

If you are going to do this then the best thing is to run it on a standalone PC that is only used for this or a virtual machine etc.