British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   British treats - Sobeys (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/british-treats-sobeys-857394/)

BristolUK Apr 30th 2015 9:00 pm

British treats - Sobeys

In the international aisle of one of the Sobeys here today, they had a similar selection of the stuff available at Bulk Barn and Walmart.

Walnut Whips, Wispa (bars and biscuits), Galaxy, Flake, Branston Pickle, proper Pickled Onions (not the tiddler things), Rich Tea Biscuits, Yorkie Bars, Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?) Roses Marmalade etc

sharkus Apr 30th 2015 9:15 pm

Re: British treats - Sobeys

mmm, orange club

haggis88 Apr 30th 2015 9:25 pm

Won't get excited til there's McVities Gold Biscuits on the shelf!

Do love Ambroisa Devon custard though...yum!

scrubbedexpat133 Apr 30th 2015 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11633678)
In the international aisle of one of the Sobeys here today, they had a similar selection of the stuff available at Bulk Barn and Walmart.

Walnut Whips, Wispa (bars and biscuits), Galaxy, Flake, Branston Pickle, proper Pickled Onions (not the tiddler things), Rich Tea Biscuits, Yorkie Bars, Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?) Roses Marmalade etc

I got English Mustard from the one by the train station :thumbsup:

rivingtonpike Apr 30th 2015 11:17 pm

I bought HP Sauce from Superstore yesterday, but they don't have an "English" section as such, just random stuff.

SchnookoLoly May 1st 2015 2:44 am

The Fortinos here has good stuff as well - I found salad cream today!

scilly May 1st 2015 2:49 am

Our Safeway used to be very good for "English" foods .............. eg, Branston Pickle, Heinz Salad Cream English Dressing and Sharwood's Chutneys. The first 2 are about the only English things we insist on buying. They also used to carry Rose's Lime marmalade

But Safeway were taken over by Sobeys last year ............ and they don't seem to have Branston Pickle on their shelves now. I'm hoping they will re-stock with it before the summer comes ............. I love it with cold meats.

BC has a small chain called London Drugs that also sells food and many other items, I buy Nairn's Oat Cakes there, and I have also noticed other English items on their food shelves

Siouxie May 1st 2015 6:12 am

Walmarts now sell Chocolate Hobnobs - but only online (I haven't found them in-store).

:D

BristolUK May 1st 2015 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11633944)
Walmarts now sell Chocolate Hobnobs - but only online (I haven't found them in-store).

Ours has them. In fact last time I was there it was the chocolate ones only and I reckon that spoils them.

BristolUK May 1st 2015 11:04 am

Originally Posted by sharkus (Post 11633688)
mmm, orange club

Everywhere I see Club it's only ever the orange ones. Why not mint?

Just checked wiki and they still make it. I see coffee flavour is discontinued having come out in the 80s. I don't remember seeing those.

Some coffee Matchmakers would be nice.

HGerchikov May 1st 2015 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11633944)

They are often in the Oakville Store. I have been working on losing weight past few months, I have found avoiding the British food section is essential as a hobnob of any variety is hard to walk past.

SchnookoLoly May 1st 2015 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 11634190)
They are often in the Oakville Store. I have been working on losing weight past few months, I have found avoiding the British food section is essential as a hobnob of any variety is hard to walk past.

Mental note taken on where to get them! I imported a few for Siouxie on my last UK trip! :p

I also found PG Tips at Fortinos. The packaging was a bit different than in the UK, I haven't opened it up yet to see if it tastes the same. Anyone tried it?

Howefamily May 1st 2015 2:39 pm

I would still like to find coco pops, so far no cigar!

allycat231 May 1st 2015 3:30 pm

I would love to get some crunchy nut cornflakes!! They sold them once at Petes in Bedford NS

colchar May 1st 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11633678)
Club Biscuits (when will they ever get something other than orange ones?)

Why bother when the orange ones are a gift from heaven?

Roses Marmalade

I buy that at Walmart. I have noticed a few British items in my local Sobeys but it would be nice to be able to get more British stuff, including my lime marmalade.